Topic: Weidman vs. Machida

Weidman vs. Machida

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,574  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,522
  • Post Score: 60

03.01.2014 | 12:45 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Weidman vs. Machida. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,048  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

03.01.2014 | 12:45 AM ET

Prediction: Weidman  |  Decision

This fight could be awesome or the most boring championship fight of the year. Machida has the striking finesse to win, but all Weidman needs to do is be more active and pull a split decision over him like Rampage or Phil Davis. The question is can Weidman penetrate the solid TDD of Machida and get him to the ground.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

03.01.2014 | 1:06 AM ET

Prediction: Weidman  |  Submission  |  Round 3

Machida gets taken down, beaten up and submitted.

"Is reality really realistic?"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

03.01.2014 | 1:15 AM ET

Prediction: Machida  |  Decision

5dimes opened the lines at -140/+110. Seems about right.

Weidman is a monster, but maybe the betting public will back him more than he deserves in this matchup. Here is hoping that they undervalue Machida. If it reaches +170 somehow, instabet imho.

* Edited at 03.01.2014, 1:17 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,809  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

03.06.2014 | 9:28 AM ET

Prediction: Machida  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 2

Boring?

Ask Thiago Silva, Rashad Evans, and Ryan Bader how "boring" Machida is.

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

03.06.2014 | 9:32 AM ET

Prediction: Weidman  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 1

I think Weidman is a very intelligent fighter and Phil Davis laid out a great gameplan for defeating Machida's in and out point striking. Just stay busier, connect with leg kicks before and after his attacks whenever possible and you can beat him at his own game.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Kachimba
Kachimba
  • Predictions:  8,608  |  56.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: -167

03.10.2014 | 2:04 PM ET

Prediction: Machida  |  Submission  |  Round 1

Machida ftw

"The middleweight belt shall be mine"

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

03.10.2014 | 3:49 PM ET

Prediction: Machida  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 3

I think speed and cardio will play a factor here.

I wouldn't bet on Weidman's cardio failing miserably, but he has shown signs of slowing down a bit, or at least a difference in his speed between the 1st and 2nd rounds (Silva fights); his takedowns lose power and his striking and movement is a little slower, although still effective.

Also, Weidman is not quick, his striking and movement is pretty slow, maybe average for a middleweight while Machida is much quicker and as Goldie likes to point out, very elusive, he is also used to being in fights that go the distance in 3 and 5 rounds. If Chris doesn't develop a good strategy to cut Machida off, I can see him struggling to find him in the stand up and to take him downb, while getting tired and frustrated in his attempts, giving way for Machida to capitalize in the later rounds.

if Machida is able to make Weidman work and avoid being controlled on the ground (I think he can and will), especially the first two rounds, he'll be able to outpoint him in the later rounds for a 48-47 or maybe even get a TKO.

This is a very tough fight to predict, in my opinion it all comes down to if Weidman can take Machida down and keep him there. I think he will be able to take him down a couple of times but I don't see him doing this repeatedly and controlling this fight on the ground for 5 rounds or long enough to get a sub, especially as the fight moves on and he gets tired and they're both sweaty.

My money is on The Dragon.

"@AndySalasMMA"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

03.10.2014 | 4:05 PM ET

Prediction: Weidman  |  Submission  |  Round 3

I have Weidman right now, but I'm very likely to change it back and forth several times. Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with Machida's last fight. Not the first time either. Only time Weidman put on a poor performance was against Maia and that was on a week's notice.
hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

03.13.2014 | 10:03 PM ET

i am very interested in this fight. It will either be very technical or it will be a grind. I would have loved to see Weidman vs Vitor tbh. But this fight will be good. For some reason I think it will some what like how Machida vs Bader ended. I guess that is my 2 cents.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

03.19.2014 | 8:16 PM ET

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Dr3w Cornish
Dr3w Cornish
  • Predictions:  1,642  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  99
  • Post Score: 142

03.19.2014 | 9:47 PM ET

Prediction: Weidman  |  Submission  |  Round 4

I said it before he fought Silva, I'll say it again, Weidman is going to be atop the heap at 185 for a few yrs to come. Before people know it, theyre gonna be talking about a potential Weidman VS Jones superfight instead of Silva VS Jones.

" The human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain. -Bruce Lee. The point is the doing of them rather than the accomplishments. There is no actor, but the action; there is no experiencer, but the experience. -Bruce Lee."

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

03.19.2014 | 9:53 PM ET

I don't think Jones can beat Gustafsson and Cormier. I think Weidman can.get through Machida, Jacare, Vitor and Bisping/Rockhold however the Vitor match up seems most formidable and this is more of  "murderers row" than Jones if Weidman gets through them. Even if Rashad drops to 185, I think Weidman.beats him worse than Jones did.

I also think Jones won't.ever move up to Heavyweight....

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

03.21.2014 | 3:03 AM ET

That's a lot of thinking, don't hurt yourself.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 6 days, 19 hours, and 20 minutes from now.
DelRose
DelRose

03.21.2014 | 5:26 AM ET

Please, idc what anyone thinks, he beat Silva twice, he's cutting through Machida like a hot knife through butter.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.21.2014 | 8:24 AM ET

Pumped for the fight.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Thomasray
Thomasray
  • Predictions:  611  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: 112

03.23.2014 | 4:01 PM ET

Prediction: Weidman  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 5

Weidman by Ground and pound and elbows
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.23.2014 | 5:21 PM ET

I hope you are right, Thomasray.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: And New Super Lightweight Champion?
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Injured, Bellator Paris Title Fight Paused
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Inks PFL Extension, Returns At Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Rothwell hopes Mark Hunt signing with BKFC materializes, wants rematch that 'brings eyes'
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Banks Big Money After Placing a $2 Million Bet on Himself to Defeat Devin Haney
  • MMA Junkie : Murad Ramazanov lauds Nurmagomedov training discipline for fast start in PFL debut
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Garcia’s big win over Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Ryan Garcia’s big win over Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘This Could Be A Career Death Sentence’
  • MMAFighting.com : DC calls for McGregor vs. Chandler to be 165-pound ‘super lightweight’ title fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Be Prepared To Bleed, Rainbow!’
  • Bad Left Hook : Pitbull Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr, Santa Cruz vs Mares 3 on Crawford undercard
  • Middle Easy : Jamahal Hill Says He ‘Took No Damage’ Against Alex Pereira, Plans To Take Out ‘Frustrations’ Against Khalil Rountree Jr
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall's MMA debut opponent revealed as full 2024 PFL Europe 2 lineup announced
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Shuts Down Chances Of Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Fighting For Proposed 165-Pound Title
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC owners at Triller acquired by Hong Kong-based finance company in $4 billion merger
  • MMA Junkie : The Ryan Garcia show is ready to take off after upset of Devin Haney | Opinion
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall ‘Would Be In Trouble’ Against Someone Like Velasquez
  • MMA Junkie : John Kavanagh: Conor McGregor's 'technique is as sharp as ever' ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Watch BROADENED HORIZIN — Feat. Satoshi, Archuleta, Watanabe