Topic: UFC 169

Disappointing Judges calls at UFC 169.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

FWPG
FWPG
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

02.02.2014 | 4:41 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 1421st

Those were such a terrible calls by the judges on Makdessi and Watson, they both got robbed. Although I wanted Cariaso to win I think he lost that match. It was very close but unfortunately Martinez was robbed of the win, it was just a bad call by the judges all around. And lets not talk about the quick stoppage by Herb Dean, He was doing his job bad those strikes were all being blocked very well by Faber and given a bit of time he could have stood up and continued. When in that position you just have to Block and wait till your opponent stop, changes his attack or slows down, you need that opening to explode out and/or move. I think a rematch is due for Lamas, Faber, Makdessi, Watson; Lamas was outstanding but he needed to do more in the earlier rounds. Over all good match, looking forward to Lamas vs Aldo II probably at the end of the year, somewhere between November to December.

Keep an eye out for Neil Magny and Clint Hester these two keep improving every match. Al Iaquinta vs Kevin Lee, wow what a match, those two went to war, great match. Jamie Varner vs Abel Trujillo talk about match of the night it was a war from start to finish. Varner should have taken the time to compose him self and stayed away from brawling like he did. He had Trujillo in all sort of trouble but got careless and got caugth. Trujillo is a big and powerful fighter for 155 Lbs, he has one punch knockout power, so was it was a terrible choice by Varner, sure made for a great finish and match though.

As for Overeem vs Mir, Mir needs to take some time off to get his head straight and decide if he wants to keep fighting. He just hasn't been there mentally for his last 3 matches. He was doing very well against Daniel Cormier on the stand up, then he just quit mentally shut down and has been like that since that match. Before that he was terribly beaten and battered by Junior Dos Santos, so who knows he might have some head, psychological trauma or other things outside of the ring that he has to deal with first before coming back. We will have to wait and see what hes future holds for Frank Mir.

* Edited at 02.02.2014, 5:14 PM ET *

UFC 169
  • Saturday 02.01.2014 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Prudential Center
  • Enclosure: Cage
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,651,000
  • Attendance: 14,308
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 230,000 | TV Ratings: 933,000 avg. viewers (FS1 prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Renan Barão   defeats   Urijah Faber   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:42 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
José Aldo   defeats   Ricardo Lamas   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Alistair Overeem   defeats   Frank Mir   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ali Bagautinov   defeats   John Lineker   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Abel Trujillo   defeats   Jamie Varner   via KO/TKO, Punch   2:32 Round 2 of 3, 7:32 Total Bout Page
Alan Patrick   defeats   John Makdessi   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Chris Cariaso   defeats   Danny Martinez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nick Catone   defeats   Tom Watson   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Al Iaquinta   defeats   Kevin Lee   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Clint Hester   defeats   Andy Enz   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Rashid Magomedov   defeats   Anthony Rocco Martin   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Neil Magny   defeats   Gasan Umalatov   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

02.02.2014 | 4:51 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1077th

Cariaso out landed Martinez at an almost 3 to 1 clip. I agree Makdessi was robbed, and that Catone didn't do **** to win his fight with Watson other than take him down and do absolutely nothing with said takedowns, but I believe Cariaso won pretty easily. Lamas did nothing to make him worthy of a rematch. He won one round, and stole it in the final minute and a half. Faber had been dropped twice already and was showing zero signs of working to improve position. Was he blocking the shots? Yes. Was he working to get out of danger? No. The way I see it Barao was on him and wasn't going anywhere and he'd already been dropped twice. Could it have continued? Sure, I've seen guys in much worse scenarios allowed to continue, but I guess Herb had seen enough and wasn't happy with Faber's grab a leg and turtle defense. Very borderline to me.

Edit: "Over all good match, looking forward to Lamas vs Aldo II probably at the end of the year, somewhere between November to December."

In no realm is that happening man. Sorry, Lamas got thoroughly dominated.

* Edited at 02.02.2014, 4:55 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 5 hours, and 57 minutes from now.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

02.02.2014 | 5:00 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 2nd with 1 other

Cthulhu, don't you remember the Faber/Alcantara fight? Iuri dropped and mounted Urijah and he came back and won that one.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

02.02.2014 | 5:03 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1077th

Barao is a different animal than Alcantara. Like I said, I would have been completely fine with it being allowed to continue, but after being dropped twice you have to realize the situation you're in and become a little urgent I think. Dean probably just figured "This guy's not going anywhere and Faber's already been hurt badly" Probably should have let it go on, especially since it was a title fight, but, I've seen worse stoppages.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 5 hours, and 57 minutes from now.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd

02.02.2014 | 5:13 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 2nd with 1 other

Ok but I think Barao taking his back was much more of a threat than those blocked hammerfists especially since Barao wasn't even looking at him but Herb. Personally I'd hold onto that leg for dear life.

FWPG
FWPG

02.02.2014 | 5:22 PM ET

Barao was Looking up at Herb Dean to see if he was going to be stop the match. And only because his arm was getting tired if not he would try something different. Its the only reason a fighter would look up at the ref. in that situation otherwise he would just continue to strike and work on the downed opponent.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd

02.02.2014 | 5:28 PM ET

Exactly. His arm was getting tired and he would've had to do something different very soon, which is when Faber would've had the chance to improve his postition without giving up his back which is what would've happened if he'd let go of his leg.

FWPG
FWPG

02.02.2014 | 5:42 PM ET

Okay I can see there being a difference of opinion on who won the Cariaso fight, Like i mentioned it was a very close fight. Having said that I still think Martinez won but everyone has there own opinion and i'm glad Cariaso got the win. As for Lamas I'm not saying he should get and immediate rematch, I didn't say that at all, my comment clearly says I think he didn't do enough. However he still did a great job and is the only fighter in that division that has gone 5 rounds with Aldo, taken every thing Aldo threw at him and came out pretty much the same as he went in. Ricardo Lamas is one tough fighter and he will make his way back to a title match and it will be a good rematch and I personally think it will happen by the end of the year. Unless Aldo chooses to take the match against Anthony Pettis which I don't think he will. If some how it goes that way, Aldo will have to fight whoever has the title at that time when he decides to comeback to 145 Lbs division. I think it will probably be Ricardo Lamas.

* Edited at 02.02.2014, 5:43 PM ET *

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

02.02.2014 | 5:49 PM ET

I was impressed by Lamas last night. I expected Aldo to finish him quickly. And while I don't think he's the "best of the rest" seeing Edgar/Lamas, Mendes/Lamas, or vs. any other of the top FWs would probably be good fights.

ACFMMA
ACFMMA

02.02.2014 | 5:58 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 956th

No need to go into the makdessi fight imo. He was straight up jacked by the judges.

I thought the cariaso win was pretty cut and dry. He outlanded martinez 85 strikes to 33. And was way more active. Cariaso almost doubled the striking output 216 to 110. Hes also made an impression with his takedown defence. Forcing martinez to go 5 for 14 on attempts. And if i remember right, cariaso was pretty quick to get up. Theres almost no way a fighter will win against those striking numbers.

The catone fight was close. All 5 guys i was watching with had it for catone though. In the first catone actually outlanded watson. Plus he got a TD and controled the fight longer.  But it was close. The second round watson outlanded catone by like 14 punches i think. But catone got 2 TDs, had more control time which included a full minute at the end of the round. And while kong outlanded catone with the flicking leg kicks, catone landed the harder shots and put more combos together. In the third watson outlanded catone by 7-11 strikes, but catone got 2 TDs which included taking watsons back and then flatening watson out. Those 2 dominant grappling posistions were worth way more than a few extra strikes. So thats how i saw catone taking it.

The aldo/lamas fight was horrible. Lamas basically stood with the superior striker for 4 rounds and let aldo have his way with him. Horrible gameplan on lamas part. He only won the last round by getting top control and GnPing. Which is what he should have been doing the entire fight. I almost fell asleep. If i was dana, id be ******* pissed at lamas for his performance. And whats up with aldo? He forgot how to finish fights. He was a killer at one time. Now hes only finished 2 out of his last 6 fights. And one of them (the zombie) fight, his opponent basically finished himself by poping out his arm in the 4th round.  And the mendes fight was tainted by that fence grab with a few seconds left. Aldo was going for a ride until he grabbed that cage, with under 10 seconds left its completely possible that mendes rides those last few seconds out and who knows what could have happened in the next 4 rounds.

The Faber fight pissed me off, not cause im a faber fan either. No doubt he was in a defensive posistion. But he was completely alert. He had 1 of his opponents legs and covered the other side of his face up so he was taking zero damage. Which is why he gave the thumbs up. And maybe it was just me, but it looked like most of those barao punches hit faber on his shoulder. Since when does not taking damage and being hit in the shoulder while telling the ref your ok warrent a stoppage. Thats why faber was like *** and poped right back up after the stoppage.

So thats how i saw those fights. Anybody else think Varner has one of the worst fight IQs in MMA?
mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

02.03.2014 | 9:28 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 6 Winners, 1 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 1519th

iwas let down by the whole card after the prelims i wasnt feeling it  the last 3 fights i enjoyed but for me looking forward to this card for weeks i was really let down .

glad to see the reem back in the winners circle
no to forget about the varner fight

"Element Knows"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

02.03.2014 | 9:31 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 462nd

Varner fought like an idiot, that fight was so over...he literally had it the bag then put the bag over his head and suffocated himself with.the bag.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

02.03.2014 | 10:46 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 1204th

Oh. I must've missed that part of the fight.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Nomad
Nomad

02.03.2014 | 10:59 AM ET

You miss a lot Mike, you're.quite dumb.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.03.2014 | 11:12 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 1290th

Wow. Pot, meet kettle.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Nomad
Nomad

02.03.2014 | 11:17 AM ET

I may say dumb things but as far as MMA, Martial arts.and fighting I am one of the sharpest around.while Mike is.....well, he's not.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

02.03.2014 | 12:08 PM ET

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

* Edited at 02.03.2014, 12:09 PM ET *

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

02.03.2014 | 12:11 PM ET

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

02.03.2014 | 12:20 PM ET

Yeah Mike's been the town idiot here as far as I can remember. He always tries to play it off by calling people ****s or literally just repeating what you said back to you. 

* Edited at 02.03.2014, 12:23 PM ET *

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

02.03.2014 | 12:22 PM ET

Nik Lust has been the town idiot here as long as I can remember. He always tries to play it off** (idiot) by calling people ****s or literally just repeating what you said back to you. Between Nik, mmafan, and nomad, I don't know who is worse. **** it. It's a tie.

* Edited at 02.03.2014, 12:24 PM ET *

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

02.03.2014 | 12:24 PM ET

Yeah sure Mike.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman Says Dana White ’10-7ed The Media’ With UFC 300’s Success
  • UFC.com : UFC And Morgan & Morgan Announce Multi-year Renewal Of Marketing Partnership
  • UFC.com : UFC 300 50/50 Charity Raffle Raises More Than $112,000
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Fires Back At Michael Chandler For Criticizing His Decision To Turn Down Islam Makhachev Title Fight
  • Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Moves Up To Challenge Kade Ruotolo For Lightweight Title At ONE 168
  • MMAFighting.com : Israel Adesanya reflects on Alex Pereira rivalry: ‘He’s a special human being’
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje plans to limit physical training for 'six months at least' after UFC 300 knockout loss
  • MMA Mania : Garcia: ‘Crazy’ Gimmick Planned Months In Advance
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Says He Is Likely To Earn ‘$30-50 Million’ From Devin Haney Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘My son got down on you’: Bill Haney and Floyd Mayweather get into heated argument online
  • MMAFighting.com : Ilia Topuria on Sean O’Malley superfight: ‘If he defends the belt, that’s going to be the biggest fight in UFC history’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 pre-event facts: Karine Silva looks to continue historic octagon start
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Parking Lot Incident With ‘Crazy Lady’, Says She Texted Dana White About Possibly Going To Jail
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry targets fights with Jake Paul and 'fat b*tch' Darren Till if successful at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • Jits Magazine : Star-Studded Lineup Confirmed For UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler criticizes Arman Tsarukyan turning down UFC 302 title fight, Tsrukyan unloads back
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Official For July 27 In Manchester
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 commentary team, broadcast plans set: New trio calls action from cageside for first time
  • MMAFighting.com : The 2024 MMA Draft: Which 35 fighters are the best building blocks for MMA promotions?
  • MMA Mania : Gaethje Didn’t Realize ‘How Much Danger I Was In’ Against Holloway