Topic: UFC 169

Official UFC 169: Barao vs. Faber 2 Discussion Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.01.2014 | 1:32 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 357th

Prelims kick off on UFC Fight Pass at 630pm ET followed by four televised prelims on FOX Sports 1 at 8pm and the Pay Per View main card at 10pm.

Two titles, a high-steaks heavyweight fight and some nice match-ups down the rest of the card should hopefully make for a solid night of MMA.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

UFC 169
  • Saturday 02.01.2014 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Prudential Center
  • Enclosure: Cage
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,651,000
  • Attendance: 14,308
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 230,000 | TV Ratings: 933,000 avg. viewers (FS1 prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Renan Barão   defeats   Urijah Faber   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:42 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
José Aldo   defeats   Ricardo Lamas   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Alistair Overeem   defeats   Frank Mir   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ali Bagautinov   defeats   John Lineker   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Abel Trujillo   defeats   Jamie Varner   via KO/TKO, Punch   2:32 Round 2 of 3, 7:32 Total Bout Page
Alan Patrick   defeats   John Makdessi   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Chris Cariaso   defeats   Danny Martinez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nick Catone   defeats   Tom Watson   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Al Iaquinta   defeats   Kevin Lee   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Clint Hester   defeats   Andy Enz   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Rashid Magomedov   defeats   Anthony Rocco Martin   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Neil Magny   defeats   Gasan Umalatov   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 33

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

02.02.2014 | 1:23 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 2nd with 1 other

I think all 5 of your incorrect picks were very defendable Oldman. 

Umalatov & Lee were both hyped up Gasan moreso because of people's misperception of how good Serginho and Seth are.
Kong made it competitive despite his known weakness in wrestling.
and Faber looked to be much better than the 1st time they met. This was probably imo your most questionable as far as the heart/head thing but still not a bad pick.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,914  |  71.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

02.02.2014 | 1:37 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 149th

Considering that Watson and Makdessi actually won, I'm OK with my picks.

Also compliment to @mule and @Ron damn good picks there....

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

02.02.2014 | 1:40 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 357th

Exact same thoughts on my picks @Diel!

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

02.02.2014 | 1:59 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 450 Points   |   Tied for 844th

Thanks @mule.  The main reason I say heart is that the only reason I picked Lee is he trains in my hometown and I've been a fan of Faber since I got into MMA and just can't bring myself to pick against him, even when I don't think he's going to win.  At least now maybe we'll get to see Faber/Cruz III as Cruz's comeback fight.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.02.2014 | 3:00 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 8 Winners, 1 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 1468th

My overall impressions.

Barao vs. Faber - Greatly disappointed by the premature stoppage by ref Dean.  But it appeared Barao was in control and going to prevail, one way or another.

Trujillo vs. Varner - Simply shocked.  Varner was having his way and got caught.  

Patrick vs. Makdessi - Was shocked when they announced Patrick won.  Terrible unfair to Makessi.

Catone vs. Watson - Big yawn.  Snoozer.  Bored to tears.

Bagautinov vs. Lineker - Bagautinov proved his toughness.  Got my eye on him.

The biggest news of the night came at the UFC 169 Post-Fight Press Conference.

The announcement that Aldo is not only ready but willing to move up to 155 to fight Pettis comes as a major bombshell.  Pettis texted Dana White to say he accepted the fight.

The will open up the 145 lb. division to a scramble for a new title holder.

This fight of course preempts the challenges of Henderson, Thomson, Melendez and Grant.  Aldo finally at 155 will open up many possibilities for new match-ups and is terribly exciting.  A true SuperFight!  At last!

* Edited at 02.02.2014, 3:00 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Page 33

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez campaigns for title shot vs. Zhang Weili at UFC 306: 'I get a submission 100 percent'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Makhachev vs. Poirier adds key prospect bout
  • UFC.com : Gabriel Benitez: Still flying the flag
  • MMA Mania : A Special Message For Chinless Scumbags
  • UFC.com : Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: Why Timing Is Everything For Matheus Nicolau
  • MMA Junkie : Tatsuro Taira fills UFC 302 opening, fights Joshua Van
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey blasts Joe Rogan, MMA media for turning on her: ‘They’re a bunch of assh*les’
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Malott books UFC return after upset loss to Neil Magny
  • MMAFighting.com : Between the Links: Ryan Garcia silences doubters, Dana White’s victory lap, UFC Vegas 91 vs. KnuckleMania
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL live now