Topic: Henderson vs. Thomson

Henderson vs. Thomson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,554  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

01.07.2014 | 12:55 PM ET

Prediction: correct Henderson   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Henderson vs. Thomson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

01.07.2014 | 12:55 PM ET

another bad decision

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Outrageous
Outrageous
  • Predictions:  15,465  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  246
  • Post Score: 215

01.07.2014 | 1:12 PM ET

Jesus will blackmail the judges again.

"Fungahhh!"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

01.07.2014 | 1:24 PM ET

Ben is too smooth..........................explosive athleticism.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.07.2014 | 2:34 PM ET

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.07.2014 | 2:54 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Thomson   wrong Decision  

Benson Henderson is an amazing fighter, there is absolutely no doubt about that.

But he's still the worst champion in the history of the modern UFC.

"الله أكبرl"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,805  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

01.07.2014 | 3:02 PM ET

@Outrageous @mulefloyd Yeah I also think it will be close, Benson via illuminati decision...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

zarog
zarog

01.07.2014 | 3:15 PM ET

@Anik If you consider "modern UFC era" to be since it was bought by Zuffa, I would disagree, but I'll let you tell me what you define as the modern UFC era. 

I would likely be in agreement if you defined this modern era as beginning when DJ won the FLW belt.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

01.07.2014 | 5:27 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Thomson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I personally think Thomson is an awful match up for Benson and is going to beat him down. I think Thomson is the most underrated light weight in the UFC. I think his striking is on another level then Benson and he can keep the fight standing.

"here I come to save the day"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.07.2014 | 6:06 PM ET

so Trae won't rock a pink penis. He could wear it proudly in the chat room.
BigDaddy15
BigDaddy15
  • Predictions:  605  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  35
  • Post Score: 89

01.07.2014 | 6:11 PM ET

I'm surprised this few people are picking Thomson. I really think he has a chance.
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

01.07.2014 | 6:33 PM ET

I disagree, I think Thomson has a slim chance to win. Not strong enough for Bendo, probably not as good of cardio, he's not technical enough to submit Bendo or powerful enough to stop Bendo if a showtime kick can't stop Bendo. I can't stand Bendo because of his constant proselytizing before and after the fights but he should win this.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 20 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

01.07.2014 | 6:45 PM ET

Thomson a cardio machine, so I don't really understand why you think he would magically lose his cardio in fight with bendo. He was powerful enough to stop Nate Diaz a man who never been finished via strikes before and he faced welter weights like Rory.  Also the show time kick was not even that powerful, he throw much more powerful strong body kicks to bendoin the second fight then show time kick was. The Show time kick was effective more so due to Bendo having no idea it was coming, not because it was massively powerful. 

* Edited at 01.07.2014, 6:46 PM ET *

mikeyg
mikeyg

01.07.2014 | 10:00 PM ET

Could you be any more fallacious in your straw man of my position? go ahead and re-read.

Notice I say, probably not as good of cardio (as Bendo)
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 20 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg

01.07.2014 | 10:07 PM ET

So Thomson is a better striker, cool, that's what he should focus on to win. However, Bendo is better pretty much everywhere else (which includes cardio in my original post) which was where I'm coming from, not that Thomson would "magically lose his cardio" how do you even come up with that ****? I'm not hearing a coherent argument from you for Thomson and I'd be glad to hear it. Also, I'm pretty sure most people would stay down after getting hit by a Showtime Kick. I hate having to defend Bendo so much but I can't stand fallacious arguments.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

01.07.2014 | 10:11 PM ET

This is ironic, because your actually the one straw manning me. My entire point of my arguement was based mostly on the fact Thomson has enough power to put bendo away and that show time kick is not as powerful as your suggesting. However you instead focus on a single sentence of my post and ignore the rest. Common man really, you have the nerve to say I am the one straw manning?

mikeyg
mikeyg

01.07.2014 | 10:19 PM ET

I actually went through your post after your straw man fallacy. I went into the Showtime Kick thing as well, saying most fighters would likely stay down after getting hit with that, so another straw man for you claiming I didn't read what you said.

Why the **** would you claim that his cardio would magically go away, when I never said that. Logic 101. Probably not as good of cardio = Magically lose cardio? Are you seriously defending your asinine comments? Imbecilic.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

01.07.2014 | 10:21 PM ET

I think Thomson going to win because he has significant striking edge. He has very good take down defenses and is very capable of stuffing Bendo.  He extremely good at grappling from all positions including his back. Bendo top control has always been weak, out side of Nate Diaz fight, he has never shown ability to keep high level fighters on there back for significant period of time. He has less technical striking skills, power and there a dam good chance this fight stays the majority standing where Thomson will hold and advantage. 

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

01.07.2014 | 10:24 PM ET

Not worth it. I get it I exaggerated your part about the cardio. It irrelevant to this fight stop focusing on the most irrelevant aspect of the fight and singe line of my post while almost completely ignoring the major points such as the insane idea that thomson can't generate enough power to TKO/or KO bendo or the fact this fight will almost exclusively take place on the feet out side of some brief moments on the ground because Bendo does not have the take downs/ top control to keep this fight on the ground.

Also the head kick Thomson landed on Nate was so powerful that it put a knot in his leg. It was a more powerful kick then the show time kick. The Show time kick is the most impressive thing I have ever seen in MMA, but do not kid your self that was not more powerful then thomson can produce. A planted head kick is more powerful then a kick while you are in midair like that. He landed it with power to be sure, but not the type of power your suggesting.

* Edited at 01.07.2014, 10:47 PM ET *

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.08.2014 | 12:46 PM ET

@zarog When I say the modern era, I'm defining it as from the original Ultimate Fighter Finale to...hm...maybe up to the beginning of Jon Jones' title run I would say, or maybe the retirement of Brock Lesnar. One or the other works.

Benson Henderson was not a good champion, which is a shame considering the amount of FOX exposure he received.

"الله أكبرl"

zarog
zarog

01.08.2014 | 3:42 PM ET

@Anik Lol. First of all, Henderson's championship reign wouldn't have started in the "modern era" as you're defining, but I'm willing to roll with it as the champs of today are better than the champs of yesteryear on the whole. We'll go from TUF 1 Finale (April 09, 2005) to Brock's last fight (Dec. 30, 2011), primarily because Henderson didn't win the title until after Jones' 2nd title defense.

Here are some of the champs worse than Henderson:
Tim Sylvia (April 2006-March 2007)
Forrest Griffin (July '08-Dec '08)
Matt Serra (April '07-Dec '07)

Others are arguable. Henderson was a good champion, but he did not dominate his weight class the way GSP, Silva, Johnson, Barao, Aldo, Jones, and Velasquez have. In part, that is likely due to the depth at LW in comparison to any of the other weight classes, particularly FLW, MW, LHW, and HW. When there is a dearth of good opponents it's much easier to be a dominant champion. I'll agree that Henderson is not as skilled (at least not on the feet) as many of the current champions, but as per your definition, I see no decent argument as to how Benson Henderson was the worst modern champion.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’