Topic: Diego Brandão

Brandao Confirms He Wanted to Stab Poirier

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

01.06.2014 | 11:33 AM ET

There's so much funny stuff in this interview. First he Tweeted he made weight for the fight the day before the weigh ins and then he says he couldn't make weight or train because of the car accident.

"He was there, bouncing at the weigh-ins, staring at me. I told him backstage 'if you ever do that again, I’ll stab you with a pen.’ That’s what happened," Brandao said.

"Every time he saw me at the hotel he kept staring at me, and I responded asked what was the problem, if he looking like that because he was hungry or what. When he got inside the cage I saw he was scared. He got lucky (to win)."

"I have a lot of things to change, including the way I speak, my personality," he said. "People think I'm an ignorant man, but I'm a funny guy. But when I get inside that cage, I'm fighting for my family and my career. It's hard to explain. I'm still learning, and I will be at the Top 10 one day.

"A drunk man hit my car, and I ended up crashing in another car," he said. "I had to go to my lawyer. (The other driver) didn't want to pay the costs to fix my car. I did my best, I was a warrior just to step inside that cage. Any other fighter would just run away, but I needed that."

"I couldn’t run, I couldn’t cut weight to fight," he said. "I had injuries in my back and ribs, but I went there and fought. I don’t think I trained more than five times for this fight and I knocked him down twice in the first round."

"Sean Shelby was pissed off, but he understood when I showed him the photos of my car," Brandao said. "I spoke with him and Dana White, they said that I need to change and I’m going to be the champion one day. They said they know the fighters are afraid of me."

Source: Diego Brandao confirms he threatened to stab Dustin Poirier

* Edited at 01.06.2014, 1:59 PM ET *

Diego "DB" Brandão

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Diego Pereira Brandão
  • Pro MMA Record: 29-21-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: DB
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: November 30, 2023 in HCMMA
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 161.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Jackson Wink MMA
  • Height: 5'7" (171cm) | Reach: 64.0" (163cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $257,000 USD
  • Born: Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
  • Fighting out of: Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • Head Coach: Greg Jackson
  • Other Coaches: Mike Winklejohn
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

01.06.2014 | 6:10 PM ET

@griz ya, that is what I was thinking. Since he means something to the companies history, it is in their best interest to keep him from destroying himself.
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

01.08.2014 | 1:03 PM ET

Poirier's response! He called him a tomato can hahaha

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/1/8/5288302/dustin-poirier-fires-back-diego-brandao-tomato-can-making-excuses-mma

"I'm done with this guy. He's a win on my record. I'm over it. I'd love to give him a rematch. I'll fight him 10 more times. It'd be like padding my record. It's easy money. I could beat him all the time. I feel like I was more technically skilled everywhere the fight went. No problem. This is all talk. This is in the past for me. This is him trying to hold on to something and make excuses. The guy's a tomato can. It's nonsense. It's just a coward thing to do, to make excuses. He could have showed up 100 percent, made weight and still gotten a beatdown. I was ready to fight and ready to win. I can't let what he said take away from my performance."

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’