Topic: Pettis vs. Caceres

Sergio Pettis vs. Alex Caceres at UFC on FOX 10

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.19.2013 | 9:41 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Decision  

So pumped for this one. 

Nice striking technique and underrated grappling all around. Neither is going to be able to smother the other one as well. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Responses Page 2

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

01.21.2014 | 6:19 PM ET

Prediction: correct Caceres   wrong Decision  

Much thanks. It sounds like Caceres wants to be a.martial artist and a sensei.more than anything.and.he feels this will facilitate his goals at.this point in his life greatly. I see Leeroy, kid.was out street fighting.to  get to where he is now, he wasnt born into.it.like Pettis, he's been.through.the struggle and even.came up short when he.got.to TUF, even.came up short in fights he thought he won ( kang, figueroa)' hes still here,.winning and improving. Its.naive.of him to think he can think for himself in the future, 5 years from now as if he can.anticipate it all but he'll have been doing this for 10 years, depending on where he is he may have a greater impact furthering himself as a martial artist.and.teacher than.still fighting. Anyways, Lil Pettis is coming regardless.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

hamdermjay
hamdermjay
  • Predictions:  1,321  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  512
  • Post Score: 215

01.22.2014 | 4:57 PM ET

Prediction: correct Caceres   wrong Decision  

This is a very clear example, that shows how people are picking a fighter because of his surname, hype and record.

I am really excited about this fight and think Leeroy brings it everytime. The boy has been improving very fast, and I think we haven't seen the best of him yet. Wait till the kid starts to finish fights :)

I didn't like Pettis at all in his debut. Thought Campuzano did a better job even on a short notice, but didn't execute the right gameplan. I don't think Pettis have such good striking, and with Leeroys improvements lately, I think we will see a frustrated Pettis trying and taking this to the ground, when his prettyboy face gets jabbed in. :)

There is such great value in this fight betting wise choosing Leeroy. I will go as far as saying, that Leeroy can finish this fight on the feet and on the ground. Leeroy has a very tricky groundgame aswell, so it's gonna be fun to watch when it hits the mat. 

I think it's a great card, but this fight has most of my interest :)
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.22.2014 | 5:23 PM ET

Considering Caceres is a +170 by the odds I've seen, I'd say Caceres would be the better money bet considering how close this fight really is between the 2. However, since I ain't betting money, I'm gonna go with the guy with all the potential in the world in Pettis.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

01.22.2014 | 6:04 PM ET

Sergio may not be as good as his brother but with a full fight camp he should win this.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes from now.
Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

01.24.2014 | 8:30 PM ET

ninetwothree
ninetwothree
  • Predictions:  2,727  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  310
  • Post Score: 341

01.24.2014 | 8:32 PM ET

After seeing how small Pettis looks compared to Cacares, I'm probably going to go with Cacares on this one.
CarteLL
CarteLL
  • Predictions:  12,119  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,552
  • Post Score: 263

01.25.2014 | 7:34 AM ET

Height doesn't matter at all. Caceres is a bit of a clown and will get cought. I like him, but Pettis is more serious fighter.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.25.2014 | 7:46 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Alex seems more like a gimmick fighter so he is perfect for Pettis to fight and beat.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

01.25.2014 | 9:11 AM ET

Dude, if you think he's a gimmick fighter you most likely haven't seen him fight outside the TUF house. He may come off as a clown, but he's solid as **** and hasn't legitimately lost since he went down to 135. That's 6 fights in a row against solid talent.

* Edited at 01.25.2014, 9:14 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

01.25.2014 | 9:27 AM ET

Caceres may have improved but he's still never really been overly impressive and got a few gift decisions imo. Even though Pettis was a little underwhelming in his debut he still looked better than Caceres against a better fighter than anyone Caceres has beaten plus he's only 20. Only thing that worries me is if Pettis can keep up a strong pace since Caceres has pretty much been a strong finisher every fight

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

01.25.2014 | 9:35 AM ET

While I like Caceres I think it's obvious they matched him with Pettis due to his lack of wrestling and relatively weak punching power, this is a showcase fight for Pettis that should earn him a higher ranked fighter next time out if he can get the win. I'd love to see Mitch Gagnon vs Sergio ermahgod but they prob won't do that right now. 

* Edited at 01.25.2014, 9:36 AM ET *

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

01.25.2014 | 10:04 AM ET

I think Caceres' range and very good ground game are going to be a serious issue for Pettis. I'm hoping he wins anyway, but I most definitely won't be shocked if Caceres wins this. That aside, my point was Caceres is legit, no gimmick whatsoever and this is no gimme or "let's build us a star" fight, it's a solid piece of matchmaking.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

01.25.2014 | 10:18 AM ET

Yeah great match up fosho, no one else addressed the gimmick thing because it was ******* stupid and you handled it haha. Caceres is wonderful to watch, great technique, no gimmick there. The guy is a pure martial artist, he isn't trying to sell a gimmick of any kind. The only thing I disagree with you on yoss is the no loss at 135 thing, I think Kang beat him pretty convincingly. I'm about to lose my **** just thinking about that robbery.

And what I said did come off as a "let's build a star" comment, that's my bad. But if I'm Sean Shelby and Dana White asks me to find a fight that is favorable for Pettis then I couldn't think of a better match up that is high profile and plays into Pettis' strengths than Caceres, but I'm a crazy conspirator so I'm sure it's just good match making and nothing more. 

* Edited at 01.25.2014, 10:24 AM ET *

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

01.25.2014 | 10:30 AM ET

I've been going back and forth on this one. I think it will be a very close split decision one way or another.

"Frig off, bud"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case