Tapology Forums

At this point is Nate's career more impressive than Nick's one?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Arcalimon
Arcalimon
  • Predictions:  1,887  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: 280

12.05.2013 | 3:54 AM ET

Premise: I love both Diaz brothers

At this point is Nate's career more impressive than Nick's one? I'm starting to think so.
Here a comparision between the two.

- NATE DIAZ -

MMA Record: 17-9-0
UFC Record: 12-7

Notable UFC wins: Gray Maynard, Jim Miller, Donald Cerrone, Takanori Gomi, Melvin Guillard

Notable losses (not avenged): Clay Guida, Joe Stevenson, Dong Hyun Kim (WW), Rory MacDonald (WW), Benson Henderson (Title fight), Josh Thomson

---------------------------------------------------

- NICK DIAZ -

MMA Record: 26-9-0 (1 NC)
UFC Record: 7-6

Notable MMA wins: Paul Daley, KJ Noons, Takanori Gomi, Hayato Sakurai, Frank Shamrock
Notable UFC wins: BJ Penn, Gleison Tibau, Robbie Lawler, Chris Lytle

Notable losses (not avenged): Kato Parisyan, Diego Sanchez, Joe Riggs, Sean Sherk, Carlos Condit, GSP (Title fight)

What do you think?

Responses

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

12.05.2013 | 4:27 AM ET

I dunno man, I see what you're getting at but to me Nick is more impressive than Nate. I think he is a better more capable fighter all around. They are both so similar though, a lot of people used to say that Nate's submission game is better.. 

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.05.2013 | 4:38 AM ET

I think they're more or less even. Both in career achievements and in the fact that they're both easily beaten when they reach a certain level of opposition due to the exact same kind of athletic disability (they're very slow and refuse to use proper boxing footwork) and the same kind of predictability.

The top guys that aren't afraid to take them down on account or their dangerous jitz game and/or have better striking (Condit/Pettis) will always beat them, the rest will most likely subdue to their volume boxing and tough chins that allow them to keep that punching volume even when getting hit.

They're both top 5-10 in their respective divisions.

They both will never be #1.

As Goldie would say, virtually identical.

I do agree though that Nate's career and talent level are of Nick's equal now and he's no longer the little brother when it comes down to MMA level and career (p4p, not head-to-head, Nick would still big brother him in a direct fight between them :) ).

* Edited at 12.05.2013, 4:42 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Arcalimon
Arcalimon

12.05.2013 | 4:52 AM ET

Well, in a head-to-head fight I also think Nick would win, probably because of a slightly better cardio plus the size advantage.

I'm talking about career accomplishments though, in particular quality (not quantity) of wins / losses.

It seems to me that Nate's path was actually the hardest, and if you consider that he probably has a lot of fights still ahead of him (so potential quality wins), he may end up being considered, if he's not already, the best one of the two (p4p)

* Edited at 12.05.2013, 5:05 AM ET *

yossgold
yossgold

12.05.2013 | 5:03 AM ET

Yup, agreed ... unless Nick goes broke and has to fight again :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

12.05.2013 | 5:05 AM ET

Really hope Diaz comes back for a few sooner than later.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.05.2013 | 7:12 AM ET

Ive been saying this for years, that Nate was better then Nick. The way people talk about Nick is the way Nate actually is. Nick fought a lot of sub par competition while Nate was constantly fighting the best guys around.

@ED209

that because Nate does have a better ground game. Nate actually has proven to be able to handle fighters with good top games, something Nick has never once done in his entire career. Nick has better boxing then Nate, but that gap has closed considerably over the years. Nate is the better ground fighter. He the more proven of the two and has actually been extremely competitive against people weight class above off his back.

* Edited at 12.05.2013, 7:43 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Arcalimon
Arcalimon

03.09.2016 | 4:23 AM ET

I just wanted to update this thread and use the opportunity to start the debate again. Who has the most impressive MMA career? Nate or Nick? It's very close but I'd say Nate after his last win.

- NATE DIAZ -

MMA Record: 19-10-0
UFC Record: 14-8-0

Notable UFC wins: Conor McGregor, Donald Cerrone, Michael Johnson, Gray Maynard, Jim Miller, Melvin Guillard, Takanori Gomi

Notable losses (not avenged): Rafael Dos Anjos,  Josh Thomson, Dong Hyun Kim (WW), Rory MacDonald (WW), Benson Henderson (Title fight), Clay Guida, Joe Stevenson

---------------------------------------------------

- NICK DIAZ -

MMA Record: 26-9-0 (2 NC)
UFC Record: 7-6-0 (1 NC)

Notable MMA wins: Paul Daley, KJ Noons, Takanori Gomi, Hayato Sakurai, Frank Shamrock
Notable UFC wins: BJ Penn, Gleison Tibau, Robbie Lawler, Chris Lytle

Notable losses (not avenged): GSP (Title fight), Anderson Silva (Silva busted for steroid, changed to NC), Carlos Condit, Sean Sherk, Karo Parisyan, Diego Sanchez, Joe Riggs 

What do you think?

* Edited at 03.09.2016, 4:25 AM ET *

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

03.09.2016 | 7:59 AM ET

I'd still say it's Nick based on his title reign in Strikeforce. 
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.09.2016 | 10:59 AM ET

Nick had a title reign and had a long period of consistency. His wins over BJ Penn, Takanori Gomi (Nick subbed him with a Gogoplata when Gomi was No. 2 in the world behind Penn,) and Robbie Lawler are big. But more than that, he fought GSP and Anderson Silva, and went five rounds with both, being very competitive in the Silva bout in particular. I'm not sure Nate has that in him. 

That said, I would argue that Nate has shown flashes of brilliance that exceed Nick, especially against Cerrone and McGregor.

* Edited at 03.09.2016, 10:59 AM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

yossgold
yossgold

03.09.2016 | 11:30 AM ET

Nicholas Nathaniel Diaz is the greatest fighter in the history of MMA

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

03.09.2016 | 12:41 PM ET

I think its time for Sanchez vs Diaz II

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

03.09.2016 | 12:45 PM ET

If Nate's career isn't more impressive already it will be by the time they both retire, simply because Nick doesn't take as many fights anymore. Hell, it's possible he never fights again. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.09.2016 | 1:06 PM ET

The bottom line is MMA in particular is a sport where it's too much about "What have you done lately?"

All-time discussions get more sober and relevant a few years after retirements. When GSP walked away, he was not considered the GOAT. Anderson was. Now that we've had a few years to miss GSP and look at his resume objectively, he's ranked NO. 1, as least by Tapology members. 

The MMA media is anointing Jones the GOAT. He has an argument, and he has a real good shot at making it impossible to argue over the next two years, but let's see what happens. If he starts losing ...

Nick will absolutely be fighting again. He likes money. He's a huge star, and Nate's huge win will rub off on him. They're a package deal. I expect Nick to headline or co-headline a PPV in August. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Arcalimon
Arcalimon

03.09.2016 | 2:08 PM ET

I hope you are right skelliher... Man I'd love to see Nick win another fight in the ufc :'( 
In my mind Nick Diaz vs Michael Bisping would be the best fight for both at the moment (imagine the trash talk!)

* Edited at 03.09.2016, 2:11 PM ET *

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

03.10.2016 | 6:03 AM ET

Is it wrong that part of me wanted Conor to win so we could get Nick vs Conor on NYE show.

Glad Nate got the win, but either way would have been happy. 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.10.2016 | 10:18 AM ET

JJ is the best the UFC has ever had.  He has never lost legitimately and has defeated everyone in his division.

I think Fedor is the best in the history of MMA.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career