Topic: Ben Askren

Askren Apparently Has Signed With ONE FC

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

12.03.2013 | 2:20 PM ET

Nothing official yet, but considering the move to EVOLVE there's a good probability this rumor will be confirmed soon.

Source: Askren to fight in One FC

Well, there's that.

Not the UFC, not even WSOF really, but I'm sure he's getting a very good contract and a good paycheck from them since they've been paying some of their fighters enough to turn down offers from the UFC.

If he still wants to receive an offer from the UFC, then he needs to continue dominating his opponents and he needs to start finishing them in impressive fashion so hopefully then the UFC will change theirs minds and make him an offer.
"Funky" Ben Askren

Fighter Details

• Name: Ben Askren
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-2-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Funky
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: October 26, 2019 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Roufusport MMA Academy
  • Height: 5'11" (181cm) | Reach: 71.0" (180cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,160,000 USD
  • Born: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Fighting out of: Hartland, Wisconsin, United States
  • College: University of Missouri
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Head Coach: Duke Roufus
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

12.03.2013 | 2:25 PM ET

BOO

I like One FC and Askren alot...but this isn't the right move.

He belongs in UFC....WSOF at the worst. He could beat alot of top WW's in UFC, clearly it's just a personal thing with Dana. Politic horse****...

* Edited at 12.03.2013, 2:25 PM ET *

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

12.03.2013 | 2:52 PM ET

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/3/5170960/bellator-champ-ben-askren-one-fc-asia-mma-ufc
Also ONE has been tweeting that they have huge news to announce

Not a bad gig for Ben, between Evolve and ONE Im sure he is getting paid pretty well. If he finishes a few guys and Dana still doesnt go for him then it's the UFC's loss. Still like the possible matchups in WSOF a lot more, Funky/Palhares would be insane. Only competitive guy I can see there is Yoshida if ONE gets him to fight again and at WW or Minowaman lol

* Edited at 12.03.2013, 2:54 PM ET *

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

12.03.2013 | 3:03 PM ET

Dumb. He deserves to be in the UFC. But DFW has 3-3 TUF winners to employ, so whatever.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.03.2013 | 3:18 PM ET

He also has 1-4 TUF winners to employ. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

12.03.2013 | 3:25 PM ET

Askren is gonna kill everyone over there. Atleast in WSOF there would be a few interesting matchups on paper..

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

12.03.2013 | 3:33 PM ET

Who's the best WW that ONE FC has? Suzuki? As much as like him, a fight between him and Askren wouldn't even be competitive. This is their WW roster via their website:

Kayoom (4-1), Nanang (10-2), Fenandes (5-2), Monteiro (20-9), Gracie (5-3), Hwan Cha (9-6-1), Shalorus (8-3-2), Escobar (1-0), Suzuki (10-1), Baroni (15-17), Praxedes (2-1), Ribeiro (12-9), Mo Kim (4-4), Svensson (3-1), Yoshida (13-6), Shirai (22-10-1), Silawanto (8-7).

Out of this short list, who beats Askren? Hell, who gives Askren even a somewhat competitive fight?

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

12.03.2013 | 4:19 PM ET

He probably won't have any competition in One FC either, but if he is the former champ in two of the best mid tier promotions, there can be a far greater argument for his inclusion in the upper echelons of the division. If he doesn't get into the UFC next, he could always go be the champ in WSOF, Legacy FC, Titan FC, KOTC and whatever other mid range promotions will have him. I think this move has a lot to do with trying to expand his skill set. His coach, Duke Roufus, is good friends with Charti Sityodtong so by going to Evolve, he can learn more skills while still remaining close to his main gym.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.03.2013 | 4:32 PM ET

I might be in the minority but I don't necessarily think UFC not signing him is a big deal at all. I think people who have him in the top 10 are giving him way to much credit. I myself might even have him in the top 10 right now in my rankings (I have not edited them in a while). I myself think I overestimated him and had him ranked way to high. Frankly after reviewing his fights, I don't even think he top 15 let a lone top 10. He has potential but based on his past performances I don't think he fair well in the UFC elite at all. He way to much of a one trick poney. I mean Jay gave him the fight of his life and Jay not remotely close to being a top 10 welter weight. I Think Ben is way to one dimensional of a fighter to beat really any of the UFC top 10 the majority. Even guys in the top 15 could beat Askren. Askren offensively is nothing impressive. He can smother people but he shown to tire before, and he does not do much damage. Yes he has finished a few, but there against top 40 welter weights. I think he very good at what he does but he not going to find success like he has when he starts fighting elite welter weights. I think most of them are two well rounded for him like Condit/Kampman/Rory ect.  Or there two good at wrestling for him to take down easily and would blast him on the feet like Hendricks/GSP/Ellenburger/Lawler ect.

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.03.2013 | 4:51 PM ET

I mean lets even look at some of the match ups.

GSP: To well rounded. Could eaisly keep it standing and beat Askren ass in striking
Johny: Could easily keep it standing and likely knock Askren out.
Ellenburger: same as Hendricks 
Condit: Would beat Askren ass standing and even he got taken down he just beat on Askren off his back
Rory: Make Askren work hard for every take down. Would get right up and beat Askren standing something fierce.
Robbie: Make Askren stand with him and blast him on the feet
Shields: Askren could maybe beat, but  could easily see shields out grappling him once they hit the ground. Askren a ****** striker to so standing it anyones game.
Demian Maia: I think would submitt Askren and if Askren stood with him he loose in a striking match
Martin Kampmann: I think could stuff Askren, even if he gets take down i think he get right back up and lite Askren up on the feet.
Brown: I think Brown could keep it standing and even if he gets taken down he get right back up. I think Askren would get overwhelmed and likely finished. 
Woodley: Could keep it standing and blast Askren
Kim: Askren could potentially win but I doubt it. I think Kim a better grappler overall and a better striker. Askren has wrestling advantage but would be getting out struck and would like do almost no damage even if he manage to get on top.
Saffiedine: Could potentially get lay and prayed, but I actually think he stuff Askren in a long fight and light him up.
Silva: Toss up. Askren could potentially out wrestle him to a win, but my money would be opn Silva finishing him.
Pierce: Could likely keep it standing and would out strike Askren
Kos: Same as pierce
Fitch: Think fitch is just a better fighter then Askren. Could perhaps get out wrestled to a win, but I have big doubts. I think Fitch would lite him up striking and is alround better grappler.
Nick Diaz: Would lite askren up standing. I think Askren would have a lot of trouble holding him down and likely can't do it for long and have little chance of landing anything significant form on top.
Story:I thinks story would be able to keep the fight standing and beat on Askren.

This is not even all the fighters I think have good chance of beating Askren the majority. I understand he awesome wrestler but honestly don't think it nearly as good of an MMA wrestler as people think. I think Herion fight proved that. He can get stuffed by competent fighters. When he gets stuffed he does not have a whole lot of answers. He also slows down as fights progress.

* Edited at 12.03.2013, 4:54 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Legz
Legz
  • Predictions:  21,595  |  78.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,169
  • Post Score: 261

12.03.2013 | 5:00 PM ET

Stop it Franklin. Don´t embarass yourself.

"This is Shooto!"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.03.2013 | 5:49 PM ET

Franklin just went full ******. Don't look.

He thinks every ******* fighter could keep it standing against the most decorated wrestler in the MMA welterweight division today.

That is just...god...dumb. Dumb as ****.

Not only was Askren a NCAA Division 1 wrestler, but he was a 4 time All-American. Not only was he a 4 time All-American (which means he was a top 12 wrestler in the country) but he was a four time championship finalist (so at worst, he was second in his entire Division 1 career). Not only was he a four time finalist, but he actually ******* won the NCAA championship twice. He went into the Olympics and he's got a World Championship in grappling and a Pan-American Gold Medal in freestyle wrestling.

But Franklin thinks Martin ******' Kampmann and Erick ******' Silva could stuff his takedowns. Dumb.

Franklin also has yet to realize that the Hieron fight was two years ago and he's had two finishes in three fights since. But fighters apparently don't improve according to what this guy's implying.

Just to put that absurd claim to comparison, when Askren beat Hieron Matt Brown was coming off a loss to Seth Baczynski. Brown was 1-4 in his last five fights when Ben Askren beat Jay Hieron.

"الله أكبرl"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

12.03.2013 | 6:04 PM ET

Can one of the mods remove those 2 offensive posts by Franklin please?

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

12.03.2013 | 6:08 PM ET

As if Diaz could keep Askren standing. Dude's TDD is absolute ass. His only real weakness, but it's a massive one.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

12.03.2013 | 6:09 PM ET

Apparently every fighter on the UFC roster can stuff Askren's takedowns.. As much as I dislike Askren, dude might have the best wrestling in MMA.. you could def make the argument for the WW division.

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

12.03.2013 | 6:11 PM ET

According to that logic, high school wrestlers can stuff Askren's TDs because they know what wrestling is...GTFO

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

12.03.2013 | 6:13 PM ET

I think Franklin is 90% wrong.. but just because you are a good wrestler doesn't mean youre gunna take every one down at will. Or Alexis Vila and Jake Rosholt would be GOATs. How good you are as a offensive defensive striker (meaning using your strikes to keep wrestlers at bay) have a lot to do with it. MMA, not wrestling

but besides that, ya, i agree Askren would run through some UFC WWs

* Edited at 12.03.2013, 6:16 PM ET *

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

12.03.2013 | 6:25 PM ET

This is a shame and there is no justice in this cruel world. Askren just schooled 3 time All-American and National runner up Quentin Wright in a match at 195 lbs, Askren is a potential WW GOAT and teh UFC just let's him go to ONE FC to fight Eurasian journeyman for the rest of his career. There isn't a man alive in the entire Eastern hemisphere who can challenge Askren.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  82,387  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

12.03.2013 | 6:44 PM ET

i agree, the decision to let askren walk seems to be a personal one about dana.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

12.03.2013 | 6:47 PM ET

Of all the places Askren could have ended up, One FC seemed the least likely. But whatever, maybe he'll like it there. A lot of the One FC guys like Aoki and Bibiano couldn't be more happy.
gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  38,959  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

12.03.2013 | 8:17 PM ET

askren is one of my top 10 favorite guys and ONE is my 2nd favorite org . but not too excited about this they have a weak WW division . he should be able to get some sick finishes tho maybe then UFC will finally sign him

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Love Dana White. There’s No Issues’
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO CEO Ari Emanuel earned nearly $65 million in compensation in 2023, including $20 million bonus from UFC
  • Middle Easy : Marlon Vera Calls Out Ex-UFC Champion for Bantamweight Title Eliminator at MSG in November
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez not surprised Steve Erceg got UFC title shot, despite Muhammad Mokaev's 'tougher resume'
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 2
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day interviews
  • UFC.com : Best UFC Fights To Happen In Rio de Janeiro | UFC Fight Pass
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Islam Makhachev not excited by potential Max Holloway matchup – not yet, at least
  • MMA Mania : Full PFL Uncasville Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler official with 7 fights booked so far
  • MMA Mania : Bull-Riding Cerrone ‘Rushed Into Surgery’
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara gets replacement opponent for Combate Global debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Caio Borralho questions why Paulo Costa can’t fix ‘basic’ mistake that led Robert Whittaker loss
  • MMA Mania : How, When To Buy Tickets For UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Dricus Du Plessis on board with Jiri Prochazka moving to middleweight
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith is Blinded by His Own UFC Title Aspirations: ‘It’s Making Me a Worse Fighter’