Topic: All-Time Greatest Fights

How Highly Do You Rank Melendez vs. Sanchez?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

10.23.2013 | 2:26 PM ET

How has your list changed since Melendez vs. Sanchez?

I must say I got caught up in the fight hype on the day and thought I'd rank it above Garcia vs. KZ I and Frye vs. Takayama, but I can't.

I'm re-watching some fights that weren't fresh in my mind and watching some I've never watched because I really want to break down and have the best possible list I can.

I also re-watched Huerta vs. Guida and thought it was a better fight than Melendez vs. Sanchez.

As it's pretty evident, I'm a huge fan of crazy, wild, heated brawls which is why I have Liddell vs. Wanderlei ranked as a higher light heavyweight fight than Jones vs. Gus.

I had never seen Saku vs. Royce I since it was so long, but I liked it a lot once I watched it. I didn't like it enough for it to be in my top 10 though. For those of you who haven't seen it, give it a watch specially if you're a Saku fan. The fight's basically 90 minutes of Saku having fun and toying with Royce.

Some fights I think haven't aged well specially since the sport has evolved so much. I'm not going to break down which ones, but if you can check my list I think you'll get the idea of what I'm talking about.

I'm mainly checking out the list on how it's ranked in general and re-watching everything that's not fresh in my mind so I can update my list appropriately. Once I finish updating my list by re-watching everything, I'm going to re-watch some other fights that are great and aren't listed there like Tokoro vs. Nakamura, Tokoro vs. DJ.taiki, Tokoro vs. Cullum, Imada vs. Masvidal, Hansen vs. Uno, Gomi vs. Mach, Ishiwatari vs. Uno, etc. There's so many good fights that happened in other organizations in Japan that are missing from that list that I'm sure once I re-watch I'll be including.

So yeah, as you can see, I was just looking for an excuse to talk about past MMA fights and not so much about what's currently happening that's being discussed everywhere else.

Happy discussing!

Responses

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

10.23.2013 | 2:44 PM ET

henderson vs shogun?

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039

10.23.2013 | 2:49 PM ET

I have it ranked at number 17.

* Edited at 10.23.2013, 2:52 PM ET *

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

10.23.2013 | 2:54 PM ET

I have it at 4th.

@Jitz... I have the Shogun/Hendo fight at 3rd.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

10.23.2013 | 3:29 PM ET

I might tinker with this a bit but I don't think I would have Melendez/Sanchez all that high, maybe in the 20's or 30's. Other than a few bursts the first 2 rounds were good but not great. It also just wasn't a matchup that interested me all that much as far as fandom

* Edited at 10.23.2013, 3:30 PM ET *

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051

10.23.2013 | 3:35 PM ET

Honestly I don't know if it makes the top 10. It wasn't competitive enough besides Sanchez dropping Gil in the third. I don't even have it No. 1 for 2013.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,779
  • Post Score: 273

10.23.2013 | 3:43 PM ET

-edit- Just gonna put in that is Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz, not Ken. I'm not sure if most people know about this fight, it's definitely worth watching.
This took about 15 minutes, I tried to organize it from the fights I enjoyed the most.

* Edited at 10.23.2013, 6:00 PM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

10.23.2013 | 3:47 PM ET

While Melendez-Sanchez was fun to watch it wasn't a good fight in any way, shape or form. Melendez beat that ass minus one uppercut in the third round. Just because a fight is exciting does not mean it is good. 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

10.23.2013 | 3:49 PM ET

Lets not forget Eddie Alvarez has been in some wars as well. His fights against Kawajiri and Joachim Hansen were epic!

I tend to lean with skelliher - it wasn't competitive throughout the entire fight, just the last round.

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

10.23.2013 | 4:12 PM ET

I thought Melendez-Sanchez was just another classic grueling 3 round fight between two guys who always bring it. There are a lot in the UFC, you have to really learn to tune out Joe Rogan and Goldy because what they say can be really silly and I think Joe Rogan is just freaking high as the sky tripping on DMT most the time.

"Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!" the end sounded like classic stoner moment when you are witnessing something that is in your mind and Joe Rogan's words 'Insane' 'Intense' and 'Crazy'

Don't get me wrong, I like Joe Rogan but as an announcer (many do this in sports) he can be incredibly biased, and make a fight out to be something it's not.

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

10.23.2013 | 4:39 PM ET

I guess this is something else that is open for interpratation.

How does each individual define a "great" MMA fight?  I can see everyone's opinion up there ^ as accurate according to what you think a great fight is. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.23.2013 | 5:36 PM ET

I haven't updated my list, but I'd insert it at #3.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

10.23.2013 | 6:05 PM ET

@Kalibo

To make it simple, I think a great fight is one that is back and forth. It can be sloppy but not too sloppy, whether it be striking or grappling, or both mixed I generally enjoy it when both guys are having success and have to dig deep to find a way to win.

Usually involves submission escapes/nearly finishing a submission, surviving knock downs, reversals, sweeps, take downs, fighters getting back up and getting their own take down, etc.

-edit- I'm gonna put down what I thought about my top 5.

1. Manhoef and Santos are two of my favorites, I love their styles and it makes for a great fight. Both guys give it their all, while it is sloppy in parts Cyborg can be technical, and Manhoef has the Dutch Muay Thai background. This fight goes back and forth and by time it's done, both guys have obviously fought as hard as they could and the finish is great.

2. Frank Shamrock may have one of the worst nicknames in MMA, but his MMA game was complete. One of the most athletic fighters I have seen, he showcases a great guard, submission game, diverse strikes, wrestling and a lot of heart. Tito Ortiz at this time was a monster, a huge wrestler that out-weighed Shamrock by about 15 pounds or so. It's fun to watch Shamrock execute his game plan while Tito Ortiz tries to dominate him with wrestling.

3. Leben is an all time great MMA brawler, his chin and heart cannot be questioned. I knew a little about Akiyama going in to this, I had seen him fight and his fight with Kang was great. I did not expect this to be a brawl and a buddy had money on Leben, while another friend was talking **** the whole time cursing at Leben to lose, as well as my friend  and his money. It sounds messed up, but the whole situation was really funny.

4. Henderson always brings it, Shogun always brings it, this fight was just a ridiculous back and forth brawl that was grueling to watch. I wanted Shogun to stop Henderson with strikes but he couldn't, but it was great to watch Henderson give it his all to finish Shogun, and then Shogun return the favor.

5. Two really big fighters, I'm a big fan of Nogueira's heart determination, as well as Couture's. Both these guys decided to go old school and decide the fight with their fists, with near submission finishes from Nog and Couture escaping. The dirty boxing is classic, this fight was just brutal.

* Edited at 10.23.2013, 6:37 PM ET *

Lopati
Lopati

10.23.2013 | 6:36 PM ET

Here's the question that needs to be answered

Did you like the fight because of back-n-forth action or because it was exciting watching Diego eat punches, walk forward throwing hooks that rarely landed and pound his chest like a bafoon?

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

10.23.2013 | 7:40 PM ET

@Lopati, I fail to see the point in you posting in this thread when you haven't made a list. I will answer this question because you did not state who it was directed towards.

I liked that fight because of Diego Sanchez and Gilbert Melendez' heart, grit, and determination. Diego doesn't have the most technical punches, but he was able to keep that up for 3 rounds and so was Melendez. The first round was exciting, the second was like the calm before the storm, and the third was fantastic.

I enjoyed watching Diego Sanchez keep that pace up for 3 rounds, while Melendez kept calm and landed those brutal body shots as well as his right hand. Diego Sanchez was cut early, and it was a big cut. He didn't think for once about quitting, that's not an option for Diego Sanchez or Melendez.

Factor in that Diego was dropped himself, able to keep the fight competitive despite taking a beating, and almost mount a come back dropping Melendez. While Melendez was very technical, he was able to stand in the pocket and land over and over, neglecting the fact that he had been dropped in that 3rd round (his eyes completely rolled back in his head in the replay) and obviously hurt, he continued to trade with Diego in the pocket making for a great exchange.

You gotta ignore what Joe Rogan says, I remember in the fight with Gustafsson he completely neglected what Jones was doing and only focused on Gustafsson.

* Edited at 10.23.2013, 7:41 PM ET *

Lopati
Lopati

10.23.2013 | 11:41 PM ET

FlyingFrontKick for me this boils down to the difference between a good fight and an exciting fight. Diego-Gil was exciting, but it was not good. It was a one-sided affair. I don't think one guy getting the **** beat out of him for 13 minutes of a 15 minute fight a good fight. I am not even basing my opinion on what Rogan said, I am not sure how that relates to anything that I said.  I just didn't think it was a good fight even though I found it exciting.  Exciting and good are two concepts that don't necessarily go hand in hand.

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

10.23.2013 | 11:59 PM ET

I get what you are saying but I think Diego Sanchez put up a good fight, Melendez was just much better. Even though he was being beaten up, there was a ton of fight left in him. It wasn't an easy win for Melendez, he was definitely winning but I thought Diego Sanchez was still in it which resulted in a good fight. I think it's just gonna come down to it all being opinion.

I just meant that you have to ignore Joe Rogan because he was saying it was the greatest fight ever, he was making it out to be something it's not, which gives others the idea that it is and in return others argue that it is not.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Love Dana White. There’s No Issues’
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO CEO Ari Emanuel earned nearly $65 million in compensation in 2023, including $20 million bonus from UFC
  • Middle Easy : Marlon Vera Calls Out Ex-UFC Champion for Bantamweight Title Eliminator at MSG in November
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez not surprised Steve Erceg got UFC title shot, despite Muhammad Mokaev's 'tougher resume'
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 2
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day interviews
  • UFC.com : Best UFC Fights To Happen In Rio de Janeiro | UFC Fight Pass
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Islam Makhachev not excited by potential Max Holloway matchup – not yet, at least
  • MMA Mania : Full PFL Uncasville Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler official with 7 fights booked so far
  • MMA Mania : Bull-Riding Cerrone ‘Rushed Into Surgery’
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara gets replacement opponent for Combate Global debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Caio Borralho questions why Paulo Costa can’t fix ‘basic’ mistake that led Robert Whittaker loss
  • MMA Mania : How, When To Buy Tickets For UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Dricus Du Plessis on board with Jiri Prochazka moving to middleweight
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith is Blinded by His Own UFC Title Aspirations: ‘It’s Making Me a Worse Fighter’