Topic: Evans vs. Sonnen

Evans vs. Sonnen

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,554  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

09.04.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Evans vs. Sonnen. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

09.09.2013 | 9:29 AM ET

@Huiop532 Rashad lost to Little Nog. He's top 10.

* Edited at 09.09.2013, 9:30 AM ET *

The Aviator
The Aviator
  • Predictions:  137  |  51.1%
  • Forum Posts:  29
  • Post Score: -190

09.09.2013 | 9:30 AM ET

@Huiop532

Prediction: wrong Sonnen   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

I had it mixed up. I meant Tito Ortiz hahaha

No one has subbed Rashad because everybody went along with his crawling and dancing. Sonnen will grab what he can the second the fight starts.

You all should remember that Rashad is a slow starter and Chael attacks right away.
Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,220  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

09.09.2013 | 9:32 AM ET

@grizzly - whoops forgot to put NON top ten. My bad
The Aviator
The Aviator
  • Predictions:  137  |  51.1%
  • Forum Posts:  29
  • Post Score: -190

09.09.2013 | 9:32 AM ET

@gunn4206

Of course I will always pick the opponent of Jake Shields.

The best part of that fight was when it was finally over.
edwinx1903
edwinx1903

09.09.2013 | 9:45 AM ET

@The Aviator

No one has subbed Rashad because everybody went along with his crawling and dancing. Sonnen will grab what he can the second the fight starts.

No, it's because Rashad has good takedown defense and submission defense.

* Edited at 09.09.2013, 9:46 AM ET *

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.09.2013 | 1:01 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Sonnen   wrong Decision  

Yup, Rashad definitely overrated, he only took the same Jon Jones that annihilated Sonnen as if he were a cool summer breeze to 5 rounds (tagging him good too) and has beat a who's-who list of superstars throughout his career ... yeah, he's had a few stinkers here and there due to lack of motivation or overconfidence, but from this to "overrated"? Me thinks you went a tad too far ...

And yes, Rashad by TKO is not that far fetched, Sonnen is a beast when he's the one doing the pushing, but when he gets tagged he tends to fold pretty fast compared to others ... and I ******* love the guy, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to his weaknesses ... if Rashad negates Sonnen's TDs (which he most definitely can do) this stays standing up where Rashad can KO Sonnen.

I personally like both fighters and want them both to win, but I think Rashad takes this and was playing with the TKO pick too for a while and would go there in a heartbeat if Rashad hadn't looked a bit out of things lately ...

* Edited at 09.09.2013, 1:02 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

09.09.2013 | 1:05 PM ET

Jones was cruising during the Rashad fight. Didn't really take any risks.

This is a great test for Rashad to show that he isn't on the decline. Last few fights have been lackluster, but I think he's got something left in the tank. 
JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

09.09.2013 | 6:19 PM ET

If Rashad really wants to he will be able to take Sonnen down, however I seriously doubt he will have any success holding him there. Chael should also be able to take Rashad down on a few occasions but probably won't be able to keep him there are great amounts of time either.
Chael is better from a submission aspect so him catching Rashad in something like a guillotine or RNC seems fairly reasonable to me.
I think overall Chael has better striking than Rashad but Rashad no doubt has the power advantage.

This is a really close fight that I think realistically could go either way.

"Is reality really realistic?"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

09.09.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

Very evenly matched fight. Whoever loses will be pretty much out of the title picture for good.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

09.09.2013 | 7:54 PM ET

I've never seen Rashad triangle anyone, and I'm feeling GOOD about Chael.
edwinx1903
edwinx1903

09.09.2013 | 8:15 PM ET

Chael's striking isn't that good.

* Edited at 09.09.2013, 8:18 PM ET *

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

09.09.2013 | 8:19 PM ET

Rashad is a good wrestler so I doubt that Sonnen will have the same succes rate that he usually have against other MW´s also  Rashad has better striking and has good cardio so he won´t gass so imo this is Rashad´s fight to loose, however I haven´t seen Rashad as focused and determined as  before and Chael is  beaming with confidence. I´ll still pick Rashad but not without hesitation, specially after what happened with the Chael vs Shogun fight

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

TimberTodd
TimberTodd
  • Predictions:  2,027  |  59.4%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 160

09.09.2013 | 9:18 PM ET

I am not so sure he could take Sonnen down or that Chael has the better striking. Chael has the fast hands to worry about as well as the counter shot. 

I think this fight is going to be against the cage early thanks to Chael's slight strength and clinch advantage, he probably land a few tosses and trips from there and grind Rashad hard until the speed advantage is negated enough to attempt takedowns out in the open.

If Chael doesn't get caught it is his fight to win because Rashad loses his pop lately after a few hard rounds. Chael is a persistent and effective fighter and if he finds success with something he will ride it to a clear win, where as Rashad's recent opponents have slowed their pace along with him as the fight wore on. 

Sonnen Decision should be the safest bet. Although a Rashad KO/TKO is almost as likely based on who takes control of the fight early and finds their way to win against the other.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.10.2013 | 2:34 AM ET

I seriously don't think that Chael's stronger in the clinch than Rashad, I don't know where you guys are getting this ... Rashad's much stronger in the clinch than his size suggests and Chael has been clinching with middleweight, that's why he's looked so strong ... if this stays on the fence I think Rashad has the advantage. Chael has a VERY strong clinch, but Rashad's just that bit stronger if you ask me.

What I do agree with, however, is the confidence thing, Chael's a confident dude to start off with, and is now the highest he's been confidence wise since the Anderson Silva beatdown while Rashad is in "I'm motivated-I'm not motivated" mode, and confidence is key (take confident Cerrone vs. unconfident Cerrone for example, two totally different fighters). 

* Edited at 09.10.2013, 2:37 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

09.10.2013 | 8:10 AM ET

@yossgold Haha, it was the trippiest avatar I could find.

I think Sonnen by Submission could happen. It is not as probable as when he fought Shogun, and I won't be picking a sub this time, but it could happen.

I think the outcome with the most chances of happening is a UD to either fighter. I have no reason at all to believe that Evans can get the KO in this fight: he hasn't KO'd anyone since Forrest (at that point in Tito's career, I don't think he counts) and throwing power shots at Sonnen is a surefire way to end up on your back.

Close fight, and tough one to pick, but I think you should pick Decision regardless of who you think will win.

EDIT: Wow, pretty long post to say what pretty much everyone is thinking...

* Edited at 09.10.2013, 8:11 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

09.10.2013 | 2:32 PM ET

I´m surprised of how close the picks are on this fight I´d give Rashad more than 80% chance to win this fight

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

09.11.2013 | 7:41 PM ET

@legacyofmisfortune

Evans will likely be the favorite but there is not way Sonnen will be more than a +200 underdog. This will be a close fight.

Well, there is the possibility you are right and we are wrong, but can you please explain why? The wrestling match will be pretty even, and as I have said before, Sonnen has quality stand-up.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

2kTweeK
2kTweeK
  • Predictions:  6,520  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,103
  • Post Score: 141

10.20.2013 | 5:39 PM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Chael cant take down Rashad and Rashad will control this fight from start to finish he is the best ever LHW in the world
AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

10.20.2013 | 6:21 PM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Rashad needs to get on the TRT because his wrestling sucks now. defensively it's still probably solid but  not enough to stop Shael.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.20.2013 | 6:26 PM ET

What about Rashad vs Phil? I thought his offensive wrestling was pretty good in that fight.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’