Topic: Evans vs. Sonnen

Evans vs. Sonnen

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,566  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,519
  • Post Score: 60

09.04.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Evans vs. Sonnen. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,048  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

09.04.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Sonnen   wrong Decision  

This is really one of those fights where I need to see where each guy is at, on one hand Rashad's last few fights have been pretty all out terrible where as with Sonnen he has the capability to pull off either a solid fight like where he just submitted Shogun. When Sonnen is focused and sticks to his gameplan he can be downright dangerous, but when he tries to change his tactics mid fight he usually fails like trying to do a spinning back fist against someone like Anderson Silva. Either way it should be a pretty decent co-main event.

* Edited at 09.04.2013, 6:35 PM ET *

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

09.04.2013 | 10:29 PM ET

Sonnen is a really good fighter, but he shatters as soon as he starts losing and I think we know what he brings to the table by now. The outcome depends entirely on which Rashad Evans comes in to fight.

* Edited at 09.04.2013, 10:31 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

09.04.2013 | 10:49 PM ET

Good match up. I find that Chael seems to just blow it for himself rather than break under pressure. He just french fries when he's supposed to pizza

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,809  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

09.08.2013 | 5:38 AM ET

The PPV buys should be off the charts - and so will the paychecks both fighters receive.

Yet therein hangs a tale - especially with regard to Rashad, who would rather keep getting the big bucks at 205 with no hope whatsoever of winning the title, than do what Machida has just done and risk losing some money to go for the glory at 185 - and included in that glory is guaranteed UFC Hall Of Fame induction, on the grounds of becoming just the third multiple-weight-class title-holder in UFC history, following Randy and BJ.

In case you didn't know, light heavyweights get paid more by the UFC than middleweights; light heavyweight, in fact, is the highest-paid weight class in the UFC, higher than heavyweight (this was the subject of an article I believe Bloody Elbow ran about two years ago - complete with a chart showing the minimum, average and maximum base salaries for all the weight classes from lightweight on up over I believe it was the most recent five-year span - featherweight on down were not included since they hadn't existed long enough in the UFC to provide an adequate sample size).

I suppose Rashad should, at least arguably, be commended for setting a positive example, by not buying in to the prevailing "second place is the first loser" mentality.  But how many of us will give him any credit for it?

* Edited at 09.08.2013, 5:40 AM ET *

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

EDEN
EDEN

09.08.2013 | 11:46 AM ET

I just don't see sonnen being easily able to take Rashad down, he has good TDD defense and is a very decorated wrestler himself. Watch his fight vs. Phil Davis to see what I mean. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 months, 4 days, 9 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

09.08.2013 | 12:11 PM ET

Help me out: did Jones try for takedowns when he fought Rashad?   If he did, did he have any success?   

I remember the ground work from the Rashad/Davis fight, Rashad was able to control Davis fairly easily.  I can't recall who initiated the takedown,  Davis or Rashad? 

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.08.2013 | 12:37 PM ET

Jones tried to take him down twice, succeeded once (according to Fight Metric) so I don't think that's going to help you here ...

I think Rashad's strength, speed and wrestling could negate Chael's ... Rashad usually scrambles very well ... all in all, I think this is a bad matchup for Chael, on the other hand, Shad hasn't looked like he's still really into fighting for a long time and against Chael you can't dial it in. He should be happy it's a 3 round fight too, because if this went into the 4th and 5th I'd give Chael both those rounds ... not that Rashad has bad cardio, it's just not Chael Sonnen cardio.

I think Rashad takes a razor close decision in this one.

* Edited at 09.08.2013, 12:40 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

chuckjp7
chuckjp7
  • Predictions:  1,771  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: -43

09.08.2013 | 2:29 PM ET

this figth its a complicated Because evans know wrestling but the wrestling of sonnen is 100 times better I believe that sonnen is going to win for decision or we will surprise it as the victory of shogun.
sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,174  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

09.08.2013 | 3:42 PM ET

His wrestling is a 100 times better? Really?

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,174  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

09.08.2013 | 3:43 PM ET

I'm pretty sure Jones takedown was from the clinch. I think Evans and Sonnen are on the same level in terms of MMA wrestling, maybe a slight edge to Sonnen.

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

EDEN
EDEN

09.08.2013 | 5:29 PM ET

@benjamin Who said anything about jones? Dont compare jones to sonnen, his wrestling is on another level. That's EXACTLY the reason I didn't mention jones in the first place. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 months, 4 days, 9 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
NoJuice11
NoJuice11
  • Predictions:  8,305  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,544
  • Post Score: 208

09.08.2013 | 6:11 PM ET

They most likely cancel each other out in wrestling, probably stays to the feet. If Sonnen can jab and clinch all day, I could see him winning this. Evans looked like **** in his last 2, and Sonnen really impressed me when he subbed Shogun. Tough fight though for sure.

"Dude everyone knows Shaq got rich off playing in college"-Baseketball

yossgold
yossgold

09.09.2013 | 2:55 AM ET

@EDEN, be cool buddy, I think he was just trying to compare how both Sonnen and Rashad did against Jones in the wrestling department, not comparing Jones to Sonnen. As one parameter to help gauge how Sonnen's and Rashad's wrestling matchup.

By the way, I have a feeling there's a reason Jones didn't go anywhere near trying to wrestle Rashad over the course of 5 whole rounds ... I'm thinking that might just be the place he was big-brothered by 'shad at Jacksons ... Rashad's got very deceptive strength for his size, I just watched season 2 of TUF again a while ago and he was manhandling giants on that show. True, none of them were at Jones'/Sonnen's caliber, but you could still see that Rashad was never at a disadvantage size and strength wise, no matter who he fought.

I think that as long a the Rashad vs. Lil' Nog doesn't show up, he's just that bit better than Sonnen both in the clinch and striking and has the better ability to stand back up if he does land on his back.

The main issue I have with picking this fight is that we never know which Rashad will show up while as we know for sure that win or lose, Sonnen will show up and give it his 110%.

* Edited at 09.09.2013, 2:56 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

09.09.2013 | 8:55 AM ET

@yossgold Well, Chael will give it his 110% but he has a pretty good chance of shattering if something goes wrong. Something like being put on his back. Which Rashad can do.

Anyway, I think that if the match stays on the feet for long enough Sonnen has all the skills needed to put anyone on his back. It is Rashad who should be aggressive with the takedowns if he wants to win this.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

The Aviator
The Aviator
  • Predictions:  137  |  51.1%
  • Forum Posts:  29
  • Post Score: -190

09.09.2013 | 8:59 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Sonnen   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Chael hasn't lost to a non-champion since 2010. I don't think he'll be losing to a fighter with no direction.
yossgold
yossgold

09.09.2013 | 9:12 AM ET

@Idrownfish, you have to limit your posts to no more than one a day ... I waste too much time staring at your av :)))

* Edited at 09.09.2013, 9:12 AM ET *

The Aviator
The Aviator

09.09.2013 | 9:14 AM ET

This fight will prove that Rashad Evans was overrated all along. Sonnen never won a boring decision, Rashad on the other hand..
The Aviator
The Aviator

09.09.2013 | 9:17 AM ET

What's funnier is that there are people actually picked Rashad via KO/TKO? Hahahaha come on let's get real. Who has Rashad finished in his recent fights, Ryan Bader? Sonnen hasn't lost since 2010 to guys not named Anderson Silva and Jon Jones.

Rashad Evans isn't in the same level as Silva and Jones. Sorry. It will be another surprise for the non-believers. Sonnen will finish Evans.
gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  38,881  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

09.09.2013 | 9:23 AM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

^ says the Noob who picked woodley to beat the GOAT Jake Shields .

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,220  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

09.09.2013 | 9:24 AM ET

@Aviator

What's funnier is that you picked Sonnen by submission?? Hahahaha come on let's get real Shad hasn't been subbed since... Ever. He hasn't lost to a non top ten guy since... Ever. And ***? Bader and Rashad never even fought. You need to search before you post stuff like that man.

* Edited at 09.09.2013, 9:31 AM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Karate Combat 45 live stream online: Luke Rockhold vs. Joe Schilling
  • Bad Left Hook : Haney vs Garcia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • Jits Magazine : Bianca Basilio To Face Nanami Ichikawa At ONE Fight Night 22
  • Jits Magazine : Three Invites Announced For ADCC 2024 Under 77kg Division
  • MMA Junkie : PFL signs top prospect Paul Hughes, says promotion president
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Magomed Umalatov remains unbeaten, Brendan Loughnane gets back on track with quick win
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 full results: Magomed Umalatov, Shamil Musaev keep unbeaten records intact
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Square Up With Yourself, Motherf—ker!
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Brendan Loughnane TKOs Pedro Carvalho; stoppage sparks controversy
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Shamil Musaev pulverizes Logan Storley with violent knockout blows
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighter’s puking causes TKO loss at Dynasty Combat Sports 91
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz walks out on final tour stop: ‘Square off with yourself motherf**ker’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Gabriel Braga knocks out Justin Gonzales in first fight since father's death
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz bails on final press conference with Jorge Masvidal: 'Square off with yourself, motherf*cker'
  • MMA Junkie : Paige VanZant to fight fellow OnlyFans star Elle Brooke at Misfits Boxing 15
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant fights Elle Brooke in Misfits Boxing 15 main event
  • MMA Mania : Hill Shrugs Off KO Loss, Books UFC 303 Return
  • MMA Junkie : Jamahal Hill books quick turnaround for UFC 303, faces Khalil Rountree