Topic: Rory MacDonald

Respect for Rory MacDonald

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

07.28.2013 | 4:32 PM ET

Rory is not in my top-10 favorite fighters and I didn't particularly enjoy last night's fight with Ellenberger.

But I have to give respect where it's due. He completely neutralized one of the most dangerous fighters in the division. Ellenberger couldn't even get close and had no idea what to do. That, of course, led to a ****** fight, but Rory still demonstrated how elite a fighter he has become. The precise jab, the distance, the footwork... he's a handful.

Will he fight his training partner GSP? I don't know.
If he does fight GSP, will he win? I don't know.

But GSP won't be around forever and I think with Rory we're looking at the champion-to-be. Respect to Rory and we all better get used to him being around for a long while.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Rory "Red King" MacDonald

Fighter Details

• Name: Rory MacDonald
  • Pro MMA Record: 23-10-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Red King
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: August 13, 2022 in PFL
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Tristar Gym
  • Height: 6'0" (183cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,290,000 USD
  • Born: Quesnel, British Columbia, Canada
  • Fighting out of: Deerfield Beach, FL
  • Head Coach: Firas Zahabi
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 5

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

07.29.2013 | 10:26 AM ET

Anderson Silva has had a few boring fights himself..... Even the GOAT isn't perfect and even tho there was a **** ton of hype behind this fight, THANKS to Ellenberger, it just didn't produce.

Jake Ellenberger paid the price for talking **** for the first time in his career. Perhaps he should've tried for a takedown in the first round rather than the last minute of the fight. It was pretty clear that Rory was going to have a jabfest at that point.

MMATycoon
MMATycoon
  • Predictions:  7,154  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 227

07.29.2013 | 1:48 PM ET

^ agreed. 

I love aggressive fights and knockouts, but I also give it to fighters who are able to follow a strict game plan with technique, control and heart. Rory did what he had to do - if the fight was lackluster, it was because of both fighters. IMO, what happened on Saturday was still a technical fight in which the dude losing, because he was losing, was responsible to change the course of the fight by bringing it to the one winning by fighting tactically.

LOL at guys like Jake and Hendo whining about how their opponents didn't want to fight when the men themselves did nothing for 15 mins, in fights where they were outstriked, outgrappled and dominated by a superior tactician.

Just admit you didn't fight well, you lost and that the dude across the cage was superior. 

"www.mmatycoon.com"

ja3074
ja3074
  • Predictions:  2,772  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 199

07.29.2013 | 4:55 PM ET

I will say this Rory MacDonald didn't scare anyone in the welterweight division with that performance.

"to live is to suffer to survive is to find meaning in the suffering"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.29.2013 | 5:46 PM ET

I really hate how close-minded everyone in these forums are. It annoys me.

Whither away and don't say I didn't try to save you.

"الله أكبرl"

ja3074
ja3074

07.29.2013 | 6:18 PM ET

AnikM I usually don't pay that much attention to it. If people disagree with your view so what? It's your opinion versus their opinion at the end of the day. 

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

07.29.2013 | 7:38 PM ET

I think the problem Anik is that you seem interested in arguing and "winning" instead of just discussing.

"I live, I die, I live again."

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  241,192  |  68.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

07.29.2013 | 8:12 PM ET

Rory MacDonald is deeply saddened by all the disrespect and bad behaviour.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

07.29.2013 | 9:18 PM ET

did anybody else notice Rory's cross parry (don't remember exactly how to call it)?
I still have to watch the fight again but it seemed the best use of the technique i ever saw on mma. 

that and the precise, quick and long jab he landed over and over shows how great his boxing was at that fight.

i think some people are saying that Ellenberger was scared or something, but my opinion is that he probably has never faced a jab like that ever in his career and didn't have tools to deal with it.

* Edited at 07.29.2013, 9:18 PM ET *

ja3074
ja3074

07.29.2013 | 9:21 PM ET

joe kerr great pic man. LOL

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

07.29.2013 | 10:24 PM ET

that picture gave me some inspiration along with an idea.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

07.29.2013 | 10:38 PM ET

@ yossgold and bkettle - You guys both posed great points that really make a guy think, and I agree 100%. I can admit that I'm a Rory hater because I don't like his attitude, his fighting style, or basically anything about the guy, so from me he'll get no respect at this point and time, and I do agree that fighters have bad performances every now and again, but the way I see it (and I'll admit there is quite a bit of bias on my part), all this "Rory is the future at 170" and "Rory is such a talented fighter" talk that many have been saying since Rory first came to the UFC took a huge downhill slide in my eyes with Saturday's performance.

MacDonald is not solely to blame here. Many thought that Ellenberger could give GSP a serious run for his money, and his performance, or lack there of, against Rory flushed that talk all right down the toilet as well.

I also agree that we should give them another chance, and hopefully all of this negativity from myself and all of the MMA fans who were so disgusted, disappointed, and absolutely mortified by both fighters lackluster performances on Saturday will make both of these guys take a serious look inside themselves and ask the question, (in the great words of Dana White) "Do I want to be a ******* Ultimate Fighter?" After all, many were critical of fighters like Rashad Evans, Frankie Edgar, and Gray Maynard because they were content to just win, and many of their early fights usually were boring decision fights. Now, more often than not, Evans, Edgar, and Maynard have turned that around and have put on some spectacular fights. Hopefully Ellenberger and MacDonald will do the same. In fact, I hope that they make me eat my words.

I have nothing against intelligent or technical fighters, but it is possible to be an intelligent and technical fighter and still be exciting at the same time. Robbie Lawler, Ed Herman, Trevor Smith, Mighty Mouse, and Moraga all proved that on Saturday night.

I'm not one to usually agree with Dana White, but what he had to say about Rory MacDonald's and Jake Ellenberger's performances was all 100% on point that night. I don't usually agree with too much Chuck Liddell has to say, but I agree with him that there are many fighters out there today that are content to fight just to not lose and it's disappointing not just to the fans, the fighters' gyms and teammates, but to the sport of MMA as a whole. The whole fighting to not lose schtick (among other things) is what made boxing take such a negative turn in the mid 90s and a great portion of the 2000s. It's certainly why I didn't watch a boxing match from 1997-2010.

I appreciate, respect, and love intelligent tactical fighters as much as the next, and I love all out brawls and spectacular finishes as well, but a fighter doesn't have to be boring to be technical, intelligent, or to win.

* Edited at 07.29.2013, 10:40 PM ET *

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.30.2013 | 2:28 AM ET

@jaykool, I seriously wouldn't call Smith/Herman's fight an intelligent one, it was fun, but if any one of them were fighting ... um ... Jake Ellenberger for instance, that fight would've been over mid 1st round (even with the 15lbs weight diff :) ) ... and none of them had as much on the line ... 

Mighty Mouse's, on the other hand, is a perfect example of intelligence and excitement (as are Rory's prior fights by the way), but Mighty Mouse has had a few stinkers too ... so is he or is he not exciting? Again, my biggest point is, this was one fight and I don't buy the whole "you're only as good as your last fight" ****. You definitely are NOT as good as your last fight, you're as good as your body of work, anyone can shine out of character or stink the place up on a given day with a given opponent.

I think it's all a matter of if you like the guy or not affecting your opinion ... people see a Diaz flipping off and Stockton slapping people and they're "******* cool" and "badass" while Rory does a tiny Ali shuffle and he's "disrespectful and ****y" just because it was against BJ Penn and because people don't get him as a person ...

Not that I have a problem with that, it's human nature and I do it a lot too ... you should've heard me talking about Sonnen and Diaz a couple of years ago and how I talk about them now (once I started "getting them") ... I'm still a bit "iffy" on the Diaz bros. (I think we're coming back to that intelligence thing :) ), but I think Chael's pure genius!

* Edited at 07.30.2013, 3:24 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

bklettke
bklettke

07.30.2013 | 2:34 PM ET

Thanks Jaykool - well written. I really don't disagree with anything you had to say and mighty mouse was a perfect example last night. I actually DVR'd the event and watched it later, which didn't extend into the 4th round.... i was super pissed because it was obvious mighty mouse was really trying to go for a submission and bringing the fight.

yossgold - Just another opinion on the Rory/BJ fight. I for one didn't find the Ali shuffle he did disrespectful to BJ, but it was just frustrating that he did it several times in the midst of a severe ass kicking. There aren't many people who believe Rory couldn't have finished that fight when he wanted to and instead he chose to put a beating on BJ instead. Not that it was a bad thing, because he was still entertaining, but that was more my view of the Ali shuffle's during the fight - that he should have done more with it rather than kept doing it and picking him apart when he "should" have finished him.

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

07.30.2013 | 3:07 PM ET

I think Rory did a lot more than Condit did in the Diaz fight. 

He was a little boring, very cautious but pretty effective. If he would have been more active with that jab and body kicks I'd call it a dominant performance. A lot of the blame for a boring fight lies on Jake here (more so than it did with Nick in the Diaz vs Condit fight.) Ellenberger should have realized his hurling haymaker from outside just wasn't gonna cut it, he didn't even attempt to adjust until the last minute.

* Edited at 07.30.2013, 3:12 PM ET *

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

07.30.2013 | 3:37 PM ET

He should've started going for takedowns in the second. If your gameplan isn't working in the first round, you damn well better make adjustments, because you need to take the next 2 if this goes to decision.
Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

07.30.2013 | 3:39 PM ET

^ I despised Condit's performance against Diaz but please stop, Rory really did nothing but jab...Condit at least actually threw combos mixed in and landed some head kicks/leg kicks.

The problem I have with this isn't that Rory was boring, even though I dislike him I know he's a great fighter and he could've done much more than play it safe. GSP is playing it safe, but he's the Champ...he's keeping the title. That performance by Rory won't come close to getting him a title shot.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

ED209
ED209

07.30.2013 | 4:02 PM ET

the difference that I see in it was that Rory held his ground and easily fended off Ellenberger's attacks where as Carlos was just running for his life trying to sneak in ninja kicks

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

bklettke
bklettke

07.30.2013 | 4:18 PM ET

I wasn't necessarily fond of the Condit/Diaz fight, but what was he supposed to do? We have all seen what happens when someone stands still or gets trapped against the cage with Nick Diaz.... they get mauled, especially to the body. Carlos took a few five punch body combo's from Diaz against the cage and i can't blame him for wanting nothing to do with it. The fight wasn't exciting, but it was very technical.

One thing Nick Diaz could've done to change the outcome of that fight is recognize how Carlos was ducking, rolling, and circling out of Diaz's combos everytime he would engage. Carlos dipped dramatically each time he circled out of Diaz's striking attempts. Diaz's corner should have recognized that and they should've told him to throw more leg kicks.

I personally think that Carlos's fight against GSP would've been closer had Greg Jackson been in his corner rather than GSPs; Winklejon is a great striking coach, but for overall MMA coaching and recognizing the fine details for a fighter's advantage, Greg Jackson easily trumps him. 

Hate it or love it, Greg Jackson's fighters win by exposing a fighters weakness, frustrating them, and capitalizing on that frustration with a finish if it presents itself. Out of all the Carlos Condit fights i've seen, which is nearly 15, the Nick Diaz fight is the only one i can remember being boring.

* Edited at 07.30.2013, 4:18 PM ET *

ED209
ED209

07.30.2013 | 4:23 PM ET

I was bringing it up because everyone is hating on Rory's performance, in which he did a lot better. Where they praise Carlos and lay all the blame on Diaz for being one dimensional and stupid in a similar situation (only carlos barely eeked a dec where Rory shut Ellenberger down entirely and dominated.. passively). 

I'm not sure how to answer your question about what Condit should have done.. But he said he was going to war, ready to kill blah blah and only ran trying to outpoint... barely managing to edge it out running and leg kicking.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

bklettke
bklettke

07.30.2013 | 4:34 PM ET

^^ I don't disagree with you at all. Rory has improved alot since their last fight and i think a remach between Rory/Carlos would be a lot more technical and not nearly as exciting. Jake Ellenberger is a good fighter and Rory made him look amatuer.

As far as the Diaz fight, it is what it is at this point. The one thing Nick has never been known for is adapting his gameplan. Typically he ****s with people until they fall into his game, it just wasn't the case with Carlos or GSP.  Diaz has so much potential and talent it almost makes me sick..... i think his coaches and his mentallity are what has always held him back from progressing his game.

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• PFL 3 Tapology coverage is now live
  • In between bouts, waiting for next fight to begin.
  • Join the PFL 3 live discussion
  • PFL 3 features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Wintrust Arena in Chicago, Illinois