Topic: Best Pound-for-Pound Men

Silva #1… Not a Chance

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

sh00ky
sh00ky
  • Predictions:  881  |  56.8%
  • Forum Posts:  72
  • Post Score: -103

06.01.2013 | 6:45 AM ET

Anderson Silva #1? No way, no how! Pinpoint striker, yes. Tops on an equal playing field? Not even close (that is assuming we are talking about MIXED Martial Arts here).

"The."

Responses

sh00ky
sh00ky
  • Predictions:  881  |  56.8%
  • Forum Posts:  72
  • Post Score: -103

06.01.2013 | 6:47 AM ET

Jon Jones is top dog and it shouldn't even be too close. I think Velasquez would come in a close tie for second with Cormier & Weideman. I would love to see Jones tested by Cormier, but Bones is currently suffering from Mayweather syndrome and Cam Newton syndrome (i.e. thinking you are much more important to the human race than you actually are).

"The."

yorma
yorma
  • Predictions:  30,162  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,462
  • Post Score: 292

06.01.2013 | 6:56 AM ET

"And whats up with y'all, Looking at me like a monkey, You !?! Yeah right, You're all saints, You !! Bunch of macaques !! Gimme a baby monkey, He'll be .. Wonderfull"

DelRose
DelRose

06.01.2013 | 7:19 AM ET

Shut the hell up

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,762  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

06.01.2013 | 7:32 AM ET

I don't get this, Anderson is the clear Nr.1 on the P4P list, yet you disagree describe attributes one needs to maybe be Nr.1 on the "most well rounded" list. Then again you list Anderson above GSP on your list.

Which leads me to this assumption of your little thread: DOUBLE FAIL

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

06.01.2013 | 10:05 AM ET

I agree with the title thread but not with your #1 ts. The lighter weight class fighters are far ahead of the big boys skill and cardio wise.

die, Anderson is on another level with his striking but he's a throwback in that he can get by with one dominant skill. Although he did seem to show some wrestling improvement in the 2nd Chael fight, it's obviously his weakness and I've never really been that impressed with his BJJ (sorry but subbing Chael Sonnen is not that hard), and we've gotten to the point where to be even an above average MMA fighter, if you have a significant weakness, it will be exploited. The fact that Anderson is still champ, I think, is due to MW being by far the weakest division (although it's improving) and his spectacularly skilled striking which mentally conquers most opponents before they fight but in any other division I think he'd have already lost. He's an all-time great but I think most give him too much credit for being well-rounded.

* Edited at 06.01.2013, 10:11 AM ET *

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie
  • Predictions:  44,107  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,217
  • Post Score: 279

06.01.2013 | 10:12 AM ET

To me the only argument you can make against Anderson being #1 is GSP i agree that Jones has been very impressive in the short time weve been watching him but Anderson Silva has been dominating his division against the very top competition for 7 years!

"Ohhhhhhhh ****! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,762  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

06.01.2013 | 10:39 AM ET

@mule your post didn't suprise me because I first looked at your P4P ranking. We clearly have different perception on what it means. I think the P4P ranking is to see who would be the best in the world if all guys would weigh the same but for me it also is a ranking that compares accomplishments. You seem to ignore the latter since you have Edgar and Chandler in there and also Andy and GSP that low...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

06.01.2013 | 10:48 AM ET

P4P is always a tough and subjective debate. 

Personally, I don't mind ppl having Anderson in the 1 spot because he's done some incredible things in the cage that nobody has been able to simulate. He's got more intangibles than all the other UFC champs combined. 

With that said, I think GSP and Jones have clearly demonstrated that they're more well-rounded, and I think GSP is the best of the three in terms of pure P4P skill when you factor in his wrestling, striking, BJJ, adaptability and especially his timing. If Anderson was a natural 170-pounder, I think he'd be a solid underdog to GSP, as would Jones.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

KnockoutsRock21
KnockoutsRock21
  • Predictions:  17,407  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,011
  • Post Score: 251

06.01.2013 | 10:49 AM ET

You are all wrong, Bob Sapp is without a doubt the greatest P4P fighter in MMA today. Let me update my ranking.

"Superman wears Chuck Liddell pajamas"

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

06.01.2013 | 11:09 AM ET

@KO's is the only one doing it right .    ^^

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

06.01.2013 | 11:15 AM ET

What a pile of **** this thread is.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd

06.01.2013 | 11:36 AM ET

So you're right at home then 

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

06.01.2013 | 11:53 AM ET

The guy who almost never loses a round and dominates the best division in the UFC is #1. Like @skelliher said this is very subjective but if the top 10 were all the same weight GSP would be able to beat all of them for the exception of maybe Jones due to how well rounded he is. 

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

06.01.2013 | 12:31 PM ET

You want a scary thought; Jose Aldo  6'2" 185 lbs.    You really think even Jones (shrunken to the same size) or Anderson or even a slightly bigger GSP beats him?    It just seems to me that most are dismissing the smaller guys too easily when p4p should be a showcase for them.  Of course they don't have the resumes of Anderson & GSP because the divisions haven't been around as long as those 2 have been champs.

And yes, I think Aldo, Barao, and even Johnson have shown more in terms of skill than the Big 3.  

Oh and Cain is being shorted here too since he's already almost the smallest in his weight class. 

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

06.01.2013 | 12:39 PM ET

Isn't Anderson pretty much the 6'2 185 lb version of Jose Aldo? When I was an MMA noob, someone actually described Aldo to me as "mini Anderson Silva".

The only glaring difference I can think of is Aldo's vicious leg kicks.

* Edited at 06.01.2013, 12:40 PM ET *

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

06.01.2013 | 12:53 PM ET

Cain is being shorted? Didn't he just complete his FIRST title defense a week ago? The problem with p4p lists is people go by if this or if that instead of looking at what we can go by for certain. I'm guilty of it just like everyone else. Until Georges retires or loses I think he's the most dominant/complete fighter. 

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

06.01.2013 | 1:05 PM ET

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

06.01.2013 | 1:47 PM ET

amp, how about tdd and just general overall wrestling/grappling?  You think Anderson's even close to as good as Aldo?!?  Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with Anderson as #1, it's just that it's not a fact. Imo Anderson is the greatest striker of all time and maybe he doesn't have the wrestling or even the true BJJ skills of some but MMA is the implementation of all phases of fighting and just like Cain's wrestling makes his striking better, the same goes for Anderson's fantastic striking masking his deficiencies in other areas. I truly don't think he's the best but I acknowledge that he could be and certainly has to be in the discussion. 

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

06.01.2013 | 2:16 PM ET

Aldo probably does have the better takedown defense, but I definitely give the grappling/submissions to Silva. Aside from Chael Sonnen, he doesn't get taken down a lot. Henderson took him down and Lutter did as well, but Silva finished Lutter off his back and took Hendo's back pretty easily (albeit after some perfectly placed strikes).

I think you have to give it to Silva based on his repeated success. No losses in 7 years fighting UFC level talent is crazy. Aldo is getting up there and he may surpass Silva's record, but I wouldn't rank him above Silva just yet. Down the road maybe, but not now.

Jones is an easy second because of his dominant wins and could also get close to Silva's record.

The argument for Cain and GSP is good, but I can't honestly say they are better than Silva or Jones given that they both lost their UFC titles.

That's my thought process. Those are the only 5 names that deserve to be considered as the P4P best. Can't see a solid argument for the other champions.

Benson barely beats his opponents, Barao just got the title, Cruz hasn't fought in almost 2 years (which is why he's not on my list at all) and MM is fighting in a division that has like 7 fighters.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd

06.01.2013 | 2:48 PM ET

Results oriented it is for you apparently. 

Who has Silva subbed besides Sonnen? Hendo doesn't count because as you said it was due to strikes. Aldo doesn't use his BJJ but he was a champ before he got into MMA. GSP lost to Serra and imo it ruined him as a fighter, now he's just an athlete.

Cain lost to JDS in a fight it's pretty obvious now that he shouldn't have taken and even considering that JDS could be on this list also. Silva has never faced an opponent who could push him as much as those 2 push each other.

Mighty Mouse's argument is easy. He gave the champ at the weight class above probably his toughest fight and he's still the smallest guy in his class. He's the mini-Edgar. 

I don't think it's fair to use results as a basis for p4p simply because the lower weight classes have not only just been introduced to the UFC but because many lighter weight fighters fought larger opponents because of the lack of opportunity to face similar sized foes in the bigger orgs. 

I can make a case against Jones easily also: He's a massive LHW who has the wrestler's natural advantage at weight-cutting, he has Greg Jackson to keep him from being in fights and turning them into athletic contests, and while he's been impressive in dominating long-time greats of the glamour division, he had perfect timing as far as coming along when the old guard had passed their primes and had stagnated as far as using all their skills so not truly being  as well-rounded as modern MMA fighters in the lighter weight classes.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : New video shows Max Holloway’s instant backstage reaction after legendary Justin Gaethje knockout
  • MMA Mania : Bellator Paris Fight Card, Rumors For Nurmagomedov vs. Shabliy
  • MMA Mania : New Title? McGregor Vs. Chandler ‘Should Be For A Belt’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 300 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Deiveson Figueiredo: 'I deserve to fight for the championship next' after UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Should Max Holloway go back to 145 or stay at 155 after BMF title win?
  • MMA Mania : Math! Harrison Proves ‘PFL Champions Can Beat Anyone’
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Calls For Interim Title Fight with Julianna Pena at UFC 303: ‘I Will Make Myself Available’
  • MMA Junkie : Judges Gonna Judge: Did Arman Tsarukyan deserve UFC 300 nod vs. Charles Oliveira?
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal explains frustration dealing with ‘diva’ Nate Diaz for boxing match
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Praised Max Holloway For Making Elite Fighters “Seem Normal,” Talks Alex Pereira’s Success Without Wrestling Skills
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Reacts To Max Holloway’s “F*cking Legendary” Knockout Win At UFC 300, Thinks Holloway Should Stay At Lightweight
  • MMA Junkie : Bo Nickal explains callout of Anthony Hernandez at UFC 300: 'I want to start fighting better guys'
  • Middle Easy : Former NFL Star Chad Ochocinco Promises to ‘Thump’ Max Holloway’s Chin in Proposed Sparring Session
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway brought back sparring for UFC 300, says fighting Justin Gaethje ‘like going through the gates of hell’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Iconic’ Holloway ‘Always Been That Good’
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Reacts To Max Holloway’s ‘BMF’ KO At UFC 300, Dubs Justin Gaethje ‘Easy Fight’
  • MMA Junkie : Jiri Prochazka sets sights on another light heavyweight title shot after UFC 300
  • MMA Mania : How Coming Out Changed The Life Of Liz Carmouche
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘My last chance’: Wilder taking Zhang fight as his final stand