Tapology Forums

Matt Serra walking away from MMA after health scare

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,439  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,777
  • Post Score: 180

05.22.2013 | 2:22 PM ET

link

not surprising at all really. Get better Matt.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Responses

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

05.22.2013 | 2:53 PM ET

One of my all-time favorite fighters.  I hope he makes a quick recovery.  I also think he's making the right decision to walk away now.  I'll never forget the week I had training with him out in Long Island.  He got me hooked on BJJ.  Great guy, awesome personality. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

05.22.2013 | 2:56 PM ET

Not really surprising he walked away as he hasn't fought in years.

Sherk should do the same Carwin and Serra have done.

Although I'm not sure if he's injured or not, but with such a long layoff, it's probably best for him to retire.
sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  78,760  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

05.22.2013 | 3:00 PM ET

He was holding out for New York, but realized it wouldn't happen. He is a great coach and will continue to excel with team Serra-Longo.

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

05.22.2013 | 3:02 PM ET

Matt Serra is one of those fighters that many love him or hate him. There is no in between. Personally, I always liked him as a person, and enjoyed watching his fights. A good majority of his fights made for some great highlight reels either for Serra (finishing GSP and knocking down Karo Paryisian are a couple of examples) or against him (spinning backfist KO at the hands of Shonie Carter and his 2nd epic fight with Chris Lytle).

Though he doesn't usually get the credit for it, he was actually one of the first mixed martial artists that brought more than just one style to the cage. Known best for being a BJJ black belt under Renzo Gracie and his tenacity, Matt Serra was not noted for his stand-up skills until the upset heard around the world against GSP. Fact is, Matt Serra was one of the first fighters to stand and trade with BJ Penn and actually rocked BJ Penn in a fight that many people feel that Matt Serra won the fight, and is also one of my favorite fights.

Though Serra may not leave behind a dominant legacy, or be known as one of the greatest fighters of all time, he is responsible for one of the greatest, if not thee greatest upsets of all time, and he has trained and worked with some of the greatest fighters of all time, and some future stars (Chris Weidman and Costa Phillipou are a couple that come to mind) that I'm sure we'll hear of very soon (if we haven't already) and/or one day see them as a UFC Champion and/or in the UFC Hall Of Fame.

Along with BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Caol Uno, Jens Pulver, Pat Miletich, Carlos Newton, and Mikey Burnett, Serra is one of the pioneers who helped propel the UFC Welterweight and Lightweight divisions into the limelight.

I hope that Matt Serra makes a quick and full recovery. I would always love to see him in the cage fighting, but if that doesn't happen again, I'd still love to see him cageside, screaming out tactics at whichever fighter he is cornering. Get well soon Matt!!!!!

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.22.2013 | 3:10 PM ET

"Matt Serra is one of those fighters that many love him or hate him. There is no in between. Personally, I always liked him.."

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.22.2013 | 3:18 PM ET

@ jaffacakehero - Everybody that I've ever heard talk about Matt Serra, they're either a fan of his or a hater. I've never heard anybody say that Serra is ok, or decent, or anything like that. I don't know how else to explain it, other than that they love him or hate him. Personally, I'm a fan of Matt Serra and enjoyed watching him fight.

* Edited at 05.22.2013, 3:19 PM ET *

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,602  |  71.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

05.22.2013 | 3:20 PM ET

Matt Serra is one of those fighters you have to like after seeing just one interview with the guy.

War Serra, all the best...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.22.2013 | 3:22 PM ET

@ dielegende23 - Love that picture!!!! Thumbs up!!!! That's how I became a fan of Serra. Listening to his first interview in the UFC, I was like........."Dude this guy is ******* awesome!!!!!"

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

05.22.2013 | 3:28 PM ET

I always liked Serra, at some point (probably when he KO´d GSP) he was one of my favortie fighters, but I walyas felt he could´ve accomplished more than what he did not to minimize his achievments but I think he still had untapped potential. I hope he gets better soon and  he keeps doing good with his schools, the world needs more grapplers

* Edited at 05.22.2013, 3:30 PM ET *

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,050  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,481
  • Post Score: 203

05.22.2013 | 3:34 PM ET

I've always been a big Matt Serra fan. IT became quite obvious that he was done with MMA after being out for a year. But as a fan, I've had hope he would return. But if he had a health scare and he feels like leaving MMA is the best choice, I wish him the best of luck. Matt Serra, you sir are the ****.  

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

05.22.2013 | 3:41 PM ET

Jesus.

Blood clot in his lung?

Poor bastard.

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

Mortis
Mortis
  • Predictions:  1,989  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,263
  • Post Score: 246

05.23.2013 | 12:29 AM ET

He's in my Top 3 all time favorites. He will definitely be missed seeing in the cage. I was holding out hope myself seeing him again, but I don't blame him for leaving.

"I would drink Lyoto Machida's urine." --- Forrest Griffin

krazyhopz
krazyhopz
  • Predictions:  14,807  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,098

05.23.2013 | 12:33 AM ET

i never really liked or disliked serra until he started talkin **** about matt hughes...that made me love him

"Everyone has a gameplan 'till they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

05.23.2013 | 1:46 AM ET

Figured he was retired anyway, but big props to Mr. Serra. The man who loves pizza, made GSP tap to strikes, and the guy who told Marc Laimon he's like the swimmer that never got in the pool. He seems like such an awesome dude haha.

All the best to Matt in his retirement.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  38,283  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

05.23.2013 | 1:51 AM ET

been waiting to hear him announce his retirement .. sucks about his health  he will always be one of my all time favorites !

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Regretful’ Biter Breaks Silence
  • MMA Mania : An Elite Contender With Only One Combo
  • MMA Mania : ‘Come Over Here Real Quick, Win A Belt, Maybe Win Another Belt’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Plans To Continue Fighting Until He’s ‘In The F*cking Grave,’ Wants To Face Similar-Aged Opponents
  • Middle Easy : Khalil Rountree Jr Claims Fans Want To See Him Fight Alex Pereira, Doesn’t Care If Pereira Is Champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Vince McMahon unloads another $100 million of TKO Group Holdings stock
  • MMA Junkie : 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career
  • MMA Mania : ‘A Big Spit In The Face Of All The Champions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Payton Talbott rejects Sean O’Malley comparisons after UFC Vegas 89: ‘I don’t want to be compared’
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley: ‘This Is The Reason I’m Here’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tszyu willing to face Spence next, talks fight with Fundora
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tim Tszyu willing to face Errol Spence next, talks fight with Sebastian Fundora
  • MMA Junkie : 'Super happy' PFL season newcomer Mads Burnell explains excitement for fight schedule, new weight class
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’
  • MMA Mania : GSP ‘Would Have Put Khabib Down’
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he had ‘suicidal thoughts’ amid CryptoZoo scandal fallout: ‘I was spiraling’
  • UFC.com : The State Of UFC During UFC 100 And 200