Topic: Conor McGregor

Analyzing Conor McGregor.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,254  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483
  • Post Score: 203

05.09.2013 | 11:10 PM ET

I've been watching some Conor McGregor fights and have come to conclusion that this guy really has no weakness. He is a fighter who can comfortably fight at 155 pounds AND 145 pounds. As of right now it's looking like he will stay at FW for a run, but the question is, who can REALLY stop him on his road to the title? Can anyone? Or is the only big test for him the champion (whether it be Pettis OR Aldo come August).

Here is Conor McGregor vs Aron Jahnsen. In this fight Conor dominated for a mere 3 minutes before unleashing vicious ground and pound delivering repeated left hands to the head. 

Here is Conor McGregor vs Steve O'Keefe. In this fight O'Keefe was attacking for the TD early .. only to have it defended by McGregor which resulted him to be KTFO seconds after attacking a double leg, this came as a surprise to commentary team along with the fans. 

Here is Conor McGregor vs Dave Hill. After a dominant first round by McGregor, Hill had himself on the bottom of a full mount by Conor McGregor. As Conor was going for an arm triangle from the mount, Hill flipped over, Conor immediately put in the body triangle and sunk in a RNC. 

Here is Conor Mcgregor vs Ivan Buchinger. This fight showed Conor using VERY precise striking to knock Ivan into unconciousness after slipping a right hand by Ivan and countering with a perfect left hook. 

Ground and pounds, Takedown Defense, Submission offence, and great stand up .. these fights were all one after another. These 4 GIFs are from 4 consecutive fights from Conor, the ones prior to his UFC debut. It shows consistency and that he delivers on the regular.. This is a hard guy to beat. 

And .. what about that UFC debut? He didn't exactly get an easy first opponent .. He fought Marcus Brimage and made him look amateur. 

Here is Conor McGregor showing both beautiful footwork and great strike placement ... in the opening exchange of the fight. 

Here is some slick counter punching by Conor.

And finally, here is Conor showcasing excellent angles and technique .. also the finish. 

* Edited at 05.09.2013, 11:14 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

"The Notorious" Conor McGregor

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Conor Anthony McGregor
  • Pro MMA Record: 22-6-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Notorious
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: July 10, 2021 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 156.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: SBG Ireland
  • Height: 5'9" (175cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $41,854,000 USD
  • Born: Crumlin, Dublin, Ireland
  • Fighting out of: Dublin, Ireland
  • Head Coach: John Kavanagh
  • Other Coaches: Owen Roddy
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

05.09.2013 | 11:15 PM ET

Whoever thinks dey gon' beat McGregor is da STUPIDEST!
Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

05.09.2013 | 11:17 PM ET

Yeah he's awesome, but let's not forget he's had 1 fight in UFC and has 2 losses to Irish no-name fighters. I wouldn't start comparing him to Aldo/Pettis.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

05.09.2013 | 11:19 PM ET

C'mon Swick, you know you can't question Mike's knowledge, who cares if he's been finished twice in less than a minute to fighters without a wikipedia page, HE'S AWESOME, and only Pettis and Aldo may challenge him.

* Edited at 05.09.2013, 11:21 PM ET *

MMATycoon
MMATycoon
  • Predictions:  7,154  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 227

05.09.2013 | 11:26 PM ET

Hopefully this guy proves he is a big deal on his upcoming fights. His debut was AWESOME.

"www.mmatycoon.com"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.09.2013 | 11:27 PM ET

I never said only Pettis and Aldo would be the only ones to challenge him.. I asked if OTHER PEOPLE thought that. Again, Messiah being a *************. 

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

05.09.2013 | 11:32 PM ET

I'm sorry bro, you know I'm the stupidest.
ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,079  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

05.09.2013 | 11:33 PM ET

He's a beast no doubt about it i think they should build him slowly and Featherweight looks like the perfect division for him.He has a good size for 145.

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.09.2013 | 11:45 PM ET

As everyone can imagine, no one loves talking about what a savage Conor is more than I do but no weaknesses? Cmon man... 

In my opinion it's not a matter of if but when in regards to him getting his hands on a belt but saying he has no weaknesses is silly. Every fighter has weaknesses be it physical, skill or even mental. Even Anderson.... I think his boxing stands up against anyone 155 or 145 due to the ridiculously high level of boxing that we posses in this country but I'll feel much more comfortable saying he has no major weakness after he gets past a guy like Mendes trying to toss him on his head or a guy like Hioki dragging him to the ground and trying to strangle him from every position. 

What I will say is that he's very much like GSP in regards to improving himself. Like Georges, when he isn't training he's going to different places to learn Karate or Capoeira or any random martial art that he thinks he can take an aspect from in order to improve himself. 

But as far as building him up as one of the best in either division already? Not so much. There are legit savages in each division who are putting in work so let's relax. 

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

05.09.2013 | 11:54 PM ET

Since when does beating Marcus Brimage make you an elite fighter? Shouldn't he at least have to beat a dude on the level of Poirier or Brandao before we start claiming him as the next real threat to the champ? 

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

05.10.2013 | 12:01 AM ET

Don't get into a habit of spamming threads, Messiah. Both you and Mike need to cool it on the personal insults, and I don't want to hear a sob story about how you didn't insult each other. Nobody cares. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.10.2013 | 3:54 AM ET

@messiah and @Mike, Conor's early losses don't say too much, both JDS and Anderson Silva came to the UFC with losses against relative no-names, just like GIFs of him submitting mediocre fighters and outboxing Marcus Brimage don't mean he's not stopping until he fights for the title.

I'm definitely on the Conor bandwagon and have been for a while, we know he's got good striking but won't know just how good until he fights someone like Edgar or Cub Swanson and we know he has a good ground game but we won't know just how good until he rolls with a Hioki or KZ. Plus, we don't know how he'll deal with someone who can negate **** like Elkins or Guida. Maybe he's one of those who are only good if you let them play their game but if you pressure them and pin them up against the fence/put them on their back they can't get out of it. I mean Clay Guida beat Anthony Pettis! Who'd of thunk that would happen in a million years?

It's great that us MMA fans have this new toy to play with, but I say we wait for a bit before deciding how far he's going to go or how good he REALLY is. Remember when Poirier was "the future of the division" (he may still be, but you have to admit no one's pinning him up against Aldo anymore)?

If I roll with my sister's 6 year old I can promise you I'd look like Damien Maia.

* Edited at 05.10.2013, 3:57 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

05.10.2013 | 8:58 AM ET

While it's obviously not a foregone conclusion, Jaffa I think you're being too conservative. I am fully "drinkin' that Kool-Aid"

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

05.10.2013 | 9:08 AM ET

I'm on the bandwagon, but ... actually, just read everything @yossgold just said. Completely agree. 

I'm excited about McGregor, especially the mental aspect of his game, but let's give him some time to continue developing.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

05.10.2013 | 10:40 AM ET

Would LOVE to see McGregor vs. Brandao in Boston.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.10.2013 | 10:42 AM ET

McGregor vs Brandao is also  the fight I'd like to see. 

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

05.10.2013 | 10:47 AM ET

I found this article both interesting and educational.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results
  • MMA Junkie : PFL Chicago fight week vlog 3: Fighters explore the city ahead of fight night
  • MMAFighting.com : Kamaru Usman questions how much Max Holloway’s eye pokes altered outcome of Justin Gaethje fight
  • MMA Junkie : PFL Week 3 predictions: Who are our unanimous picks at welterweight, featherweight in Chicago?
  • MMA Mania : DAZN Leaks Elle Brooke Vs Paige VanZant Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Bo Nickal's response to Khamzat Chimaev's criticism of his UFC 300 win wasn't the best
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 adds several fights to Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier card
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m going in there to f— this man up’: Ryan Garcia’s final thoughts on Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Bill Haney gifts Ryan Garcia ‘Psychology for Dummies’ book