Tapology Forums

I'd rather see Diaz/Penn or Diaz/Alves

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.22.2011 | 7:20 AM ET

Diaz is obviously the top contender for GSP. He deserves the shot the most. However, I just can't see GSP losing. I'd prefer to see Diaz fight BJ Penn or Thiago Alves, rather than GSP, Fitch, or Koscheck. Maybe after he loses to GSP he could face one of these two. I'd honestly rather see Fitch get a rematch with GSP than Diaz get the shot.
Who would win out of Diaz and Penn?
Who would win out of Diaz and Alves?

No doubt Nick would stand with either fighter, but would he win? Would they even stand with him, or take him down instead?

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

Responses

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

05.22.2011 | 7:27 AM ET

for me i would much rather see diaz fight a guy like Alves or even lytle rather than GSP, I really wanted to see him fight Mayhem, I think he whould beat everyone in the division except for the really good wrestlers like Fitch,Gsp, and Kos

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

seanbio
seanbio
  • Predictions:  260  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  169
  • Post Score: 37

05.22.2011 | 9:01 AM ET

Nick Diaz vs. BJ Penn is like 2 clones fighting, except one is way shorter than the other. Their BJJ is phenomenal and their boxing is top notch. That fight would be too close to call.

As for Nick Diaz vs. Thiago Alves, I think Nick would take it pretty easily. Nick took some vicious leg kicks from Cyborg, who is a Chute Boxe striker, and took punches from Paul Daley, enough said. If Nick can take a strike from those two, he can obviously take a hit from Thiago Alves. But it would be a guaranteed win if Nick took it to the ground since his BJJ is way better than Pitbull's.

After UFC 129, I'm curious to see how Rory MacDonald would do against Nick Diaz after the performance he put on against Nate Diaz. Because of it, I think GSP would dominate Nick Diaz since Rory MacDonald is a smaller version of GSP, being from the same camp and all. As for Kos and Fitch, it would depend on their BJJ. They can probably get the V, but it will be closer than if GSP fought Nick since GSP trains BJJ with pretty much everyone.

"Joe Silva could call Dan Miller at 3 in morning to tell him he's fighting Godzilla in an hour and he would take that fight."

mmAPR0digy
mmAPR0digy
  • Predictions:  13,158  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,307
  • Post Score: 144

05.22.2011 | 9:51 AM ET

Penn throws much moire dangerous strikes than "boxing".... Penn takes that fight I believe.  I'd be interested to see the Alves fight; I've underestimated Diaz against heavy strikers before....  but on topic, I agree, I'd rather see these fights first

"I just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask? - BJ Penn"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.22.2011 | 10:29 AM ET

I have no interest in GSP/Diaz. It's an easy, boring, 5 round decision for Georges.

Penn vs. Diaz would be a good fight. Penn would take it, he's a better striker, he's a better grappler, and if he pushes the pace like he did against Fitch, he could take him down. (I mean, if he could take down Fitch...)

Diaz vs. Alves would be a pretty good fight. Alves would take it though. He's a superior striker to Daley and Cyborg, and with his new diet, he won't gas like those two did. That would be a 30-27 for Alves, similar to Alves x Howard.

Diaz is not the most deserving to fight GSP, he's been fighting cans in strikeforce. He is just the last man GSP hasn't beat, and since he refuses to move up to 185, Zuffa is just doing everything they can to try to make his next fight interesting. Somehow, people want to see this fight, so it's working, but after GSP tools Diaz, the people should demand that he moves up.

"We Are All One"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

05.22.2011 | 4:20 PM ET

Why on earth is Diaz obviously the top contender for GSP? His record has zero top 10 wins. He fought bum's for last several years and his best win is Daley who got dominated by Kos who got ****d by GSP.

"here I come to save the day"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.22.2011 | 4:24 PM ET

its all business. diaz vs gsp brings in the biggest ppv buy rate. i'll say 1.4 million. they will hype that matchup for a month when its announced.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,557
  • Post Score: 275

05.22.2011 | 4:26 PM ET

@wolfman has it right.

Diaz vs GSP is the fight that most people are clamoring to see.  And, even though I don't even have Diaz in my top-5 welterweights, I'm very excited for this fight. The build-up and atmosphere should be awesome.

"I live, I die, I live again."

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.22.2011 | 4:28 PM ET

@franklin....that sounds like some mma related math ur doin there.....haha...never works bro

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Gregory
Gregory

05.22.2011 | 4:29 PM ET

Only point I think wolfman is off on is the projected PPV buys.  I'd say 1 million.   1.2 would be hugely successful.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

05.22.2011 | 4:32 PM ET

I agree completely that on a selling point it makes the most sense. But in actual standings Diaz does not deserve the shot the most, not even close.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

05.22.2011 | 4:38 PM ET

Jaffa, go look at diaz record and then tell me, he honestly deserve the shot based off accomplishments.  Shield deserved the shot with out a fight, but still had to fight kampman. Diaz just get the shot, despite not deserving it in the first place. Some times it just to much business and not enough about who the best.

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.22.2011 | 4:42 PM ET

if hardy got a shot diaz most certainly deserves a shot. no doubt in my mind that diaz would stand and bang with hardy and knock his azz out. diaz is such a polarizing figure. you either like the guy alot or disliked him alot
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.22.2011 | 4:47 PM ET

@Franklin's right, Diaz doesn't deserve this fight. It's only happening because it's marketable. It's upsetting really. 

"We Are All One"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.22.2011 | 4:53 PM ET

It isn't upsetting.  GSP has fought and beat everyone you've mentioned.  Nick (like it or not) is the WW champ in SF, which happens to be the company Zuffa just bought.  I'd MUCH rather see a fresh fight, champ vs. champ for unification, than another rematch or rubber match b/c of the standings in the UFC. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654

05.22.2011 | 5:08 PM ET

If you go by who's deserving of a title shot, obviously the winner of Carlos Condit/DHK would get the nod. Diaz/GSP is very marketable, but I don't find it upsetting. Not just because I'm a Nick Diaz fan, but because like the build up for Jake Shields/GSP, Nick Diaz has a good winning streak going, he's beaten everyone outside the UFC in the WW class, and his fights are very exciting.

Most critics have been saying that GSP fights safe, and that it's not just his fault, but the fault of his opponents as well because they fight to survive. Nick Diaz won't do this, he's not just in there to survive, he's in there to fight.

Whether Diaz deserves a shot at GSP or not, it's either him or the winner of Condit/DHK. Personally I'd much rather see Diaz vs. GSP, because, if in the rare chance Nick Diaz beats GSP, the winner of Condit/DHK vs. Nick Diaz would be a sick fight.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Gregory
Gregory

05.22.2011 | 5:09 PM ET

I don't think it should be upsetting.  It's not like they're slotting in the KOTC champ against GSP.  We're talking about Nick Diaz here.  This is a great fight that will answer all the questions.

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654

05.22.2011 | 5:13 PM ET

On another note, Kos got a shot at GSP after beating Paul Daley, and that was by a borig Lay 'n' Pray decision. Diaz beat Daley by KO. I think that Diaz deserves a shot.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Gregory
Gregory

05.22.2011 | 5:17 PM ET

@jaykool I don't think that DHK or Condit are any more deserving.  The UFC has protected them. 

Until the UFC insists that a contender first get through Fitch, Koscheck, and Alves, it's hard to argue that any of them are truly deserving of a title shot.

And, since Fitch, Koscheck and Alves will shut everyone down, you end up without any new contenders.  And, since that would suck, the UFC doesn't do it that way.  They carefully matchmake to protect fighters and create new contenders. That's the way it goes.

Nick Diaz is an exciting fight and as worthy a contender as anyone else given the circumstances. If and when Diaz loses they can throw him to the wolves.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

05.22.2011 | 5:22 PM ET

Fact hardy got the shot does not make it right for Diaz. Hardy never should have got the shot either.

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.22.2011 | 5:24 PM ET

@Gregory.. I agree with you there. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he had ‘suicidal thoughts’ amid CryptoZoo scandal fallout: ‘I was spiraling’
  • UFC.com : The State Of UFC During UFC 100 And 200
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Not the smartest in the ring fighter’: Robert Garcia not convinced Rolly will beat Pitbull
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Not the smartest in the ring fighter’: Robert Garcia not convinced Rolando Romero will beat Isaac Cruz
  • MMA Mania : Prospect Watch! Say Hello To Ernesto ‘Starboy’ Rodriguez
  • UFC.com : Vicente Luque: Expect Fireworks
  • MMA Mania : Aging Mac Will Fight Until He’s ‘Laid Out Flat’
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Believes He ‘Would Have Beat’ Khabib in Rumored Superfight, Reveals His MMA GOATs
  • UFC.com : Erin Blanchfield Is Having A Full-Circle Moment
  • MMA Junkie : ONE 168 headlined by Stamp Fairtex vs. Jing Nan Xiong dual champion bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reveals story behind heated negotiation with UFC sponsor: ‘Take your money … shove it right up your ass’
  • UFC.com : Manon Fiorot Has Gold On Her Mind
  • Middle Easy : Brendan Schaub Calls Conor McGregor The ‘Most Underpaid Athlete’ of All Time: ‘No One Wants to Hear This’
  • MMA Mania : Adesanya ‘Ready To Go’ For DDP Fight At UFC 305
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Shabliy ‘not fully sure’ Usman Nurmagomedov fight happening, still awaiting contract and terms from PFL
  • MMA Junkie : Tim Welch: Merab Dvalishvili never fought someone like Sean O'Malley, 'who can put your lights out, one punch'
  • Bad Left Hook : Juan Francisco Estrada vs Bam Rodriguez official for June 29
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Makes Promise to His Children That Infamous Wife-Slapping Incident ‘Will Never Happen Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Georges St-Pierre reveals what his strategy would have been vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov