Tapology Forums

FITCH: DIAZ IS A "PAPER CHAMP"....

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

05.21.2011 | 2:33 AM ET

JON FITCH VIA TWITTER: "@DaveCamarillo why would that fight be good. Diaz got title cause Sheilds vacated the belt. Paper champ."

http://twitter.com/#!/FitchFighter/status/71821331339034624

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

Responses

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

05.21.2011 | 2:44 AM ET

Jon Fitch had a draw with BJ Penn, and is one of the most boring fighters in the history of MMA. Nick Diaz might be a paper champ, but at least he's an exciting fighter.

Damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate when that happens. I've been putting down Allistair Overeem for the same reason that Jon Fitch is putting down Nick Diaz. No matter what, Allistair Overeem has been one of the most exciting fighters in MMA. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean that he isn't at least a people's champion.

Damnit!!!!!! I hate when I do that.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.21.2011 | 2:47 AM ET

Back to the subject at hand. Nick Diaz is a great fighter in the sense that win or lose, he brings everything he has to every fight. Can't say that about Jon Fitch. What did Nick Diaz do when he was getting beat by KJ Noons, did he quit? No he kept fighting until the doctor had to stop the fight, then he came back and beat him in the rematch. What did Jon Fitch do when he was getting beat by GSP? Nothing, he just continued letting GSP whoop his ass.

Nick Diaz gives everything he's got to every fight win or lose. The same can't be said for Jon Fitch.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

05.21.2011 | 5:30 AM ET

Diaz has never fought GSP, Noons isn't in the same league. It's easy to be exciting when you're not fighting top 10 guys, same with Overeem.

"I Get Better."

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.21.2011 | 5:34 AM ET

I won't argue that point Yaspa, but Nick Diaz and Allistair Overeem have fought top 10 fighters, and still managed to make their fights exciting win or lose. The same can't be said for Jon Fitch.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.21.2011 | 12:22 PM ET

We can all agree that Fitch would (quite literally) mop the floor with Diaz. I think he's upset Diaz is getting a title shot over him when he's obviously been fighting the much tougher guys. And about that whole Fitch/GSP and Diaz/Noons thing, GSP is obviously a much tougher fight than the lightweight KJ Noons. I think that's not a good example. Fitch would tool noons too. In fact, Fitch can and will tool every fighter outside of GSP in the welterweight division, he has a right to be talking ****. 

"We Are All One"

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

05.21.2011 | 12:35 PM ET

"We can all agree that Fitch would (quite literally) mop the floor with Diaz."

I don't see Dana allowing Fitch to bring in a broom handle, shoving it Diaz's ass and then proceeding to wipe the octagon cage.

*ahem*  Personally I thought Penn vs Fitch quite a decent fight. I can see why Fitch is fustrated but Diaz is the more exciting fighter, hence why he gets more respect and attention then Fitch (who I think is only fustrated at the lack of respect he gets).

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

05.21.2011 | 12:43 PM ET

I can't blame Fitch for getting a little pissed...His job is to win fights by any way possible...Anyone else would have had a title shot after beating Gono, Thiago, Pierce, Saunders and Alves in their last five fights...I believe Fitch deserves another shot at GSP hell of a lot more then Nick Diaz does...Paul Daley is a fringe top 10 WW and he's the best guy Diaz has beaten I was gonna say since he left the UFC, but after looking at his record I'm gonna say in his career

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.21.2011 | 12:51 PM ET

90% of the people want diaz vs gsp. if i want to see a hugging match(gsp vs fitch) i'll watch UCF. ultimate cat fighting. it does exist but its kinda lesbian ****. Nick Diaz is the most exciting and entertaining fighter we have. he "might" be able to make a fight with gsp exciting but gsp would just try to out wrestle him. hopefully diaz could submit him. 
themysticalninja
themysticalninja

05.21.2011 | 1:02 PM ET

"ultimate cat fighting. it does exist but its kinda lesbian ****"

...*goes to google*

minotauro11
minotauro11

05.21.2011 | 1:11 PM ET

@wolfmanhowl, stop for a moment and think. You don't want to see a 5 round hugging match, but you want GSP vs. Diaz? Diaz loses to every half-way decent wrestler, and GSP is as good a snuggie as anyone. There is absolutely NO WAY that Diaz/GSP doesn't consist of 5 rounds of GSP sleeping on top of Diaz. 

Fitch at least passes, and he's been doing more ground and pound recently. GSP is the pound for pound most boring fighter in MMA, and he's loved. Fitch is pretty boring too, but not as much as GSP, but he gets nothing but hate. 
@mysticalninja, what I meant by "quite literally" is that that fight will consist of Fitch on top, pushing Diaz around the floor for an easy 3 round decision.

"We Are All One"

themysticalninja
themysticalninja

05.21.2011 | 1:19 PM ET

Yes minotauro I know. I was just having a little bit of fun.

I do have to disagree though in GSP being the P4P king of boring fighters. I'd rather see him then Fitch.

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.21.2011 | 1:19 PM ET

i agree with you on gsp. one of the most boring fighters period. i'll use a saying he used with matt hughes once.  i'm not impressed with your performance. i can say that about gsp's last four fights. the guy could not even submit hardy. carlos condit defeated hardy in first round by knockout. i'll give fitch one attaboy. when he fought penn in the third round he was throwing punches down on penn for the whole third round hence 10-8 round and draw with penn. i think diaz might do well vs gsp and those wrestlers you are talking about happened a long time ago. you really think diego "the dream" sanchez would beat diaz again? i think diaz would wipe the floor with sanchez now.
minotauro11
minotauro11

05.21.2011 | 1:21 PM ET

Agree to disagree I guess, I love watching Fitch fight, he passes, he delivers ground and pound, and he tries to finish. GSP is 25 minutes of him trying hard not to lose. 

And I know you were just messing with me, I just wanted to clear the air, haha.

"We Are All One"

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

05.21.2011 | 1:21 PM ET

@jaycool777, they haven't fought top ten fighters in 3 or 4 years, Daley is Diaz' biggest trophy, he was ranked 10  at the time I guess. I thing the point is do we want to see the best fighter or the most exciting? Hopefully in the future we'll get more guys who can do both.

"I Get Better."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

05.21.2011 | 1:24 PM ET

better to be a paper champ than not a champ at all.

GSP should be using these lines, not fitch. 

"I live, I die, I live again."

minotauro11
minotauro11

05.21.2011 | 1:26 PM ET

@gregory, not necessarily. Fitch probably makes a bigger pay day and is a universally higher ranked fighter. If Fitch dropped down to the B-Leagues he'd be a multidivisional champ.

"We Are All One"

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

05.21.2011 | 1:33 PM ET

Diaz needs to fight a higher ranked fighter for me to believe in him, I mean he's won a bunch of strikeforce guys, that doesn't impress me really, Daley almost had him, GSP would just take him apart, the guy may seem boring to some, but the guy wins, and keeps winning, and keeps winning top ranked fighters. I sure GSP could finish plenty of Strikeforce guys just the same. How can Diaz be ranked 6th when he's only beaten 1 number 10 ranked fighter? Also if Hardy hadn't of had rubber arms (and they are) GSP would have finished him, in fact GSP could have snapped his arm to win but didn't, Diaz probably would've snap it. I want professionalism not thugishness, it's the only way MMA will progress.

"I Get Better."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.21.2011 | 1:41 PM ET

no boring fights is what will kill mma. exciting fights means more ppv's and more people attending. have you ever been to a live event? i have been to many and if there is no action people will boo just like the 55,000 canadians booing gsp vs shields.  people will stop attending if they think there won't be any action and i'm including all local events. whats hardy's record in his last four fights?
wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.21.2011 | 1:42 PM ET

just boring fights will make mma less popular. ^^^^^^^
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

05.21.2011 | 1:46 PM ET

@mino last known disclosed pay, Fitch was making 50 and 50, compared to Diaz making 175 (no bonus).  Of course, we don't know about any other non-disclosed pay.

anyway, nick diaz is a much bigger star and fan favorite than fitch, and he's going to get the huge title shot in December.  so i'd say it's better to be the paper champ in this situation.

"I live, I die, I live again."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Jama Vs. Jiri - ‘Make It Happen!’
  • MMA Junkie : Gegard Mousasi frustrated by 'radio silence' from PFL, feeling pressured to 'take a pay cut'
  • MMA Mania : Battle of the BMFs? ‘I Would Love To Bust Gaethje’s Face Up’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I just need to land the correct shot and he’s gone’: Riakporhe confident he’ll beat Billam-Smith again
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ian Machado Garry calls for UFC 303 co-main event vs. ‘p****’ Colby Covington, says ‘I’ll retire him for good’
  • MMA Junkie : Jessica Andrade: Title shot after UFC 300 win is the 'natural course of things'
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Haney vs Garcia preview and Ryan’s chances at the upset
  • Jits Magazine : Subversiv 10 Full Results And Review
  • Jits Magazine : Andorra And Brazil Bring Stellar AJP Tournaments To Their Territories
  • MMAFighting.com : New video shows Max Holloway’s instant backstage reaction after legendary Justin Gaethje knockout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Magomed By KO? Pereira ‘Doesn’t Have A Chin’
  • MMA Mania : Bellator Paris Fight Card, Rumors For Nurmagomedov vs. Shabliy
  • MMA Mania : New Title? McGregor Vs. Chandler ‘Should Be For A Belt’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 300 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Deiveson Figueiredo: 'I deserve to fight for the championship next' after UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Should Max Holloway go back to 145 or stay at 155 after BMF title win?
  • MMA Mania : Math! Harrison Proves ‘PFL Champions Can Beat Anyone’
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Calls For Interim Title Fight with Julianna Pena at UFC 303: ‘I Will Make Myself Available’
  • MMA Junkie : Judges Gonna Judge: Did Arman Tsarukyan deserve UFC 300 nod vs. Charles Oliveira?
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal explains frustration dealing with ‘diva’ Nate Diaz for boxing match