Topic: Edgar vs. Maynard III

Was Replacing EDGAR vs MAYNARD with RAMPAGE vs HAMIL the right thing to do?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

LiLRASKALG
LiLRASKALG
  • Predictions:  3,613  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  373
  • Post Score: 86

05.11.2011 | 3:47 PM ET

WOW! Cant believe maynard and edgar pulled out their fight. i woulda replaced this fight with the pettis/guida which is planned  just a week after ufc130. These fighter pulling out their fight was very disappointing but having RAMPAGEvs HAMIL a main event was even more disappointing. I mean i believe that the Rampage/Hamil fight would end in fireworks but theres gotta be another fight they coulda replaced a championship bout with. Like Maybe making BOTH the RAMPAGE/HAMIL and the MIR/NELSON fight a Number One Contender match? Or maybe adding that pettis fight to the card. THATS JUST MY POINT OF VIEW. Whats yours?

"IF I AGREE WITH YOU THEN WE WOULD BOTH BE WRONG!"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,557
  • Post Score: 275

05.11.2011 | 3:58 PM ET

Cool avatar, first of all.

Losing the Edgar/Maynard fight is definitely disappointing.   I think the UFC has actually been fairly lucky with main event injuries in the past couple of years.  For this one, on 3 weeks notice there really isn't a lot of things that the UFC can do.  Most of their top fighters are already scheduled for one thing or another.

Situations like this suck, but it's just the way it goes in this sport sometimes.

"I live, I die, I live again."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

05.11.2011 | 4:42 PM ET

Prediction: Edgar  |  Decision

It sucks to not have the main event but i dont think it puts too much of a downer on the card all it does is put Alves vs Story on the main card which isnt all bad ... Still a stacked card.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.11.2011 | 5:12 PM ET

I agree with you @Lilras.. I would have much rather seen them add the Pettis fight to that card.  @Greogry.. there was a year where they were plagued with injuries.. I think it was '09.  '10 was a great year, but '09 was ridden with injuries.  Oh well, if there isn't anything else done with the card, i will not purchase it.  I'll wait to see the reply a month later.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.11.2011 | 5:19 PM ET

Yeah I wish Rampage was fighting a better/more exciting opponent, but there really isn't anything better they could have done with the card IMO. I wish they brought up a fight from 131 to 130's main card (not necessarily a new main event), but ehh, this stuff happens I guess. 

"We Are All One"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

05.11.2011 | 5:38 PM ET

Prediction: Edgar  |  Submission  |  Round 4

Moving fights like Pettis/Guida or from another PPV doesn't happen very often. These guys are stuck in the rhythm of their training camp and have that camp tailored to peak for a certain date, not to mention they could have minor injuries that wouldn't heal in this timeframe. It's just too iffy of a situation. I will absolutely by the card for one reason, and thats when there aren't enough high profile fights or people aren't interested becuase there is no title fight, it seems those cards are the best.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.12.2011 | 1:11 AM ET

If anyone watched the TUF episode.. did you notice they are STILL advertising the damn fight?  FAIL!

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.17.2011 | 12:29 AM ET

Prediction: Maynard  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 2

epic fail
LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

05.17.2011 | 11:52 PM ET

i think its a pretty weak replacement for the Edgar/Maynard fight and I wasn't even looking forward to that fight. I am glad this happened though cause Im not going to be able to watch it that weekend anyway. I do want to see the Mir, Alves, and Stann, fights though
Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

05.18.2011 | 12:19 AM ET

Not much could have been done I guess. But IMO Mir vs Nelson seems more like a main event.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.18.2011 | 7:27 AM ET

Prediction: Maynard  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 2

quinton " rampage" jackson is a known name and quality fighter so he get top billing with hamill. mir has alot of haters, (not one of them) and nelson is really known to the casual fan b/c of his belly.
Jalm
Jalm
  • Predictions:  1,064  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  203
  • Post Score: 155

05.18.2011 | 6:40 PM ET

I cant complain , Hamill is my favorite LHW actually my fav. fighter , like gregory says though on such short notice there was not much they could do .

" I told ya so" !!

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

05.18.2011 | 7:29 PM ET

It was the only thing they could do really. But that dosen't mean I have to like it and I'm sorry to sound like a hater but it's a weak main event. Hamill does not scream "main card attraction" and I can't help but feel the fight is not going to be that exciting.

If it's a back and forth affair, then I'll be glad to be wrong, but as of this moment, consider me not excited.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

05.18.2011 | 7:38 PM ET

@Jalm, I'm stunned that I'm not the only person who has Hamill as their favorite fighter!

But still, I believe that Mir and Nelson would have been a better main event.  People will tune in just because they love to hate Frank Mir, and Nelson's gut is awesome!

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.18.2011 | 8:19 PM ET

@babaywads i dont hate frank! :) haha.....

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

05.18.2011 | 8:23 PM ET

i think nelsonns gut is awesome but i dont hate mir. i like watching him fight, well except the cro cop fight.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Walters turns back clock, beats Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Nicholas Walters turns back clock, beats Joseph Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Reveals Why He Retired: ‘I Thought Maybe I Had Cancer’
  • MMA Mania : White Vows Wife Slap ‘Will Never Happen Again’
  • Bad Left Hook : Cuadras out, Moloney vs Guevara set for May 12
  • Bad Left Hook : Carlos Cuadras out, Andrew Moloney vs Pedro Guevara set for May 12
  • MMA Junkie : Despite failed booking, Vicente Luque thinks he'll eventually fight Ian Machado Garry
  • MMAFighting.com : Georges St-Pierre explains advantages he’d have in Khabib Nurmagomedov matchup: ‘I would have beat him’
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Her ‘Scary’ Ordeal With Pneumonia After UFC 299
  • MMA Junkie : Jamall Emmers: Nate Landwehr being 'the opposite of me' will make for exciting UFC on ESPN 54 fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Renato Moicano fires back at Paddy Pimblett callout: ‘He’s a free paycheck’
  • MMA Mania : Bookies Back ‘Borz’ To Beat ‘Reaper’
  • MMA Junkie : John Dodson laments UFC pushing him to 135, thinks he'd knock out Alexandre Pantoja 'right now'
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev For No. 1 Contender To Headline UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : John Kavanagh questions Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul: ‘I don’t think someone approaching 60 needs to be fighting’
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Tszyu vs Fundora, Romero vs Cruz, and MUCH more!
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC North American West Coast Trials 2024 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker on fighting Khamzat Chimaev: 'I'm in a great headspace to take another hard fight'
  • MMA Mania : Luque Vs. Buckley Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘This is a nice place to fight somebody’: Golfing with Mike Perry on the debut episode of Swing Rounds