Topic: Other Sports

Our Baseball Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.07.2013 | 11:30 AM ET

Since we have some baseball fans amongst us, perhaps there should be a place to discuss it, without hi-jacking other good threads.

Any takers?  When I get home today, I will post some nice photos of historical significance.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.07.2013 | 11:31 AM ET

Historic, Archival Photographs
Negro Leagues Historic Photographic Archive
19th Century Players
Meet The Sports Writers; This creation, of which this entry is a part, is unique. It is the only index to sports writers I have ever seen, or heard of.
Meet The Announcers
Bill's Rare Baseball Photos
Bill's Rare Babe Ruth Photos
Bill's Ty Cobb Photos

The Cobb Consensus---In homage to Bill's first great baseball passion, Ty Cobb, he has created this unique listing of all those who believed him to be the best baseball player. In it, he not only lists the roster of over 300 prominent baseball figures who believed that, but he also gives the quotes attributed to them and their sources, so others can go back and verify the quotes. It took over 20 years to collect the list, and Bill still adds to it occasionally. He also lists those who believed that either Babe Ruth or Honus Wagner were the best. Truly a unique long-term project.

Ty Cobb / Assorted Historical Topics---Two other significant discussions that Bill has created at baseball-fever are his Ty Cobb/Assorted Historical Topics, where the first 2 pages chronicle some of the major controversies of Cobb's career and the rest comprises interesting historical subjects. Also includes a beautiful Cobb photo tribute and polls on some of Cobb's historical issues by his peers. 

Historical Articles

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.07.2013 | 11:43 AM ET

Here is a thread I created at baseball-fever that I really wish I could create here.

I called it, 'Classic, Vintage Threads: Some of our best work.'

It was a compilation of past threads, and was 'stuck' at the top of the forum, so the members could quickly browse and find some of the more popular threads, without having to dig into the back archive.

Each title was a hyper-link, taking you directly to that past thread.  We have so many classic threads here on tapology, it's a shame we don't have something like this for our mutual convenience.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?48941-Classic-Vintage-Threads-Some-of-our-best-work&p=650826#post650826

* Edited at 01.07.2013, 11:45 AM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.07.2013 | 11:49 AM ET

Here is yet another thread I created for baseball-fever that tapology would be well served by.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?27430-Who-Are-We-Welcoming-Thread-Share-your-mini-profile

It is a Welcoming Thread, which allows the members to create 1 single post, telling the house about themselves, their interests, etc.

They were allowed to add their own photos, facebook and twitter addresses, how they came to their baseball interests, etc.

Many used my original template to re-create their own mini-profiles.  All told, about 275 members made their own profiles.  It was a healthy outlet to tell the world who they were and what they were all about.

Wish we had that here.

* Edited at 01.07.2013, 11:50 AM ET *

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.07.2013 | 1:58 PM ET

Who on earth down arrowed a baseball thread?! Couldn't have been a Yankees fan!
desauce
desauce
  • Predictions:  16,628  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,272
  • Post Score: 271

01.07.2013 | 2:17 PM ET

DODGERS!!!

" I just watched a bum pick up all the trash around him and throw it away what a good bum I hope he has good karma." - Cody McKenzie

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.07.2013 | 2:20 PM ET

I rooted for the Dodgers when Torre was the manager, and will continue to as long as Mattingly is the manager, always gotta support Yankees, even when they move on.
desauce
desauce
  • Predictions:  16,628  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,272
  • Post Score: 271

01.07.2013 | 2:26 PM ET

I hate the ******* Yankees lol. Hands down my least favorite baseball team. 

" I just watched a bum pick up all the trash around him and throw it away what a good bum I hope he has good karma." - Cody McKenzie

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

01.07.2013 | 2:30 PM ET

I agree the Yanks are hands down my most hated team in baseball, but Dodgers arent much better haha. Im a Giants fan btw

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

01.07.2013 | 2:31 PM ET

Same,But I'm a Rays fan.
JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.07.2013 | 2:39 PM ET

Born and raised in NYC (Queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx), so not a band wagoner, the Yankees are a part of my family; if I wasn't from NY and raised on them I might understand the hatred, but my blood is Yankees blood, not optional for change. I seriously cry during Yankees games, most baseball history in all honesty, but definitely love the team. I will take the Jeters and the Canos of the game over anyone else every day of the week.

I got to go to a Rays game in Tampa when they hosted Seattle just before Ichiro switched to the Yankees. Got to see Matsui live before he retired and Ichiro in his last series as a Mariner. That was when Faber fought Barao and we went to see that after the game, then we met a guy that had a tat shop and he opened it at 2:30 am for us so my and my home girl could get some ink; totally love the Rays for being part of a perfect day.

* Edited at 01.07.2013, 2:42 PM ET *

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

01.07.2013 | 4:19 PM ET

@Judo did you like the Trop?All the locals love it,But they want to move it like 5 blocks and make it an outdoor stadium for 7 bajillion dollars.If you have ever gone to a Buccaneers game you would know outdoor sporting events are not a good idea in this area.Literally every time I go to a game my white self gets sunburn lol,Because I'm to stubborn to wear sunscreen lol.Seriously though its way to hot and humid for outdoor sporting events to be pleasant around here.
sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,284  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

01.07.2013 | 5:04 PM ET

New York Mets fan and proud of it. Even tough they are not great year in and year out I still root for them. Maybe one day they will be great for years of my life. ( I wasn't born until 1992, so did not get to see their world series victories.) 

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

01.07.2013 | 6:43 PM ET

Atlanta Braves through and through. So pumped for this upcoming season. 

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.07.2013 | 8:11 PM ET

When I met my wife she was a Braves fan; glad I corrected that error.   ;P

@Mad: I loved it, I could definitely go for some more games there. My best friend is a Rays fan (born and raised in Tampa) and she likes to give me flack for being a Yankees fan, but her husband is the one that gave me my Yankees tat, so she can't say too much.

* Edited at 01.07.2013, 8:14 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.12.2013 | 8:50 AM ET

Anyone care to discuss a baseball subject?

wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

01.12.2013 | 1:08 PM ET

I miss the Montréal Expos! 
Their stadium is used about 10 days a year now... That's a bit sad..
Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

01.12.2013 | 1:59 PM ET

Long time jays fan.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

01.12.2013 | 2:02 PM ET

The Jays are looking like they might be contenders finally, they definitely made the biggest splashes in the offseason

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

01.12.2013 | 2:52 PM ET

hhmm already a baseball thread

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

mike187
mike187
  • Predictions:  5,660  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,260
  • Post Score: 239

01.14.2013 | 6:42 PM ET

@Live2wrestle I can't express in words how excited I am about what the Blue Jays did in the off season. It's been 20 ******* years since we made the playoffs. Just the thought that we might be playing October baseball has me going nuts.

"He told me he was going to **** me, but was disappointed in himself when he could not get hard."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez campaigns for title shot vs. Zhang Weili at UFC 306: 'I get a submission 100 percent'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Makhachev vs. Poirier adds key prospect bout