Topic: UFC 157

UFC 157 gets new headliner.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.07.2012 | 3:10 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 488th

If up 'till now I was pretty sure Dana was banging Rousey, now I'm positive ...

No way Rousey/Carmouche headlines over Hendo (legend of the sport and multi-organization and weight class champ)/Machida (ex-UFC champ and owner of his own "era" -- short as it may be :) ).

From some point in time, Dana has been "Ronda this, Rousey that, she's awesome, she's amazing", they're pictured together almost EVERYWHERE.

One question Dana, what are you going to do once she loses??? (and she will, eventually)

He's putting all of his eggs in a not fully tested basket.

My prediction: Two years from now, the UFC's dissolving the woman's division. 

He's not building it right, and I suspect that's happening because the only reason he's doing it is to give Rousey a home and try to cash in on her as much as he can before she wilts, and see what happens after that.

You'll see, women from all weight classes are going to start cutting enormous amounts of weight or fighting much bigger girls only to fight in the UFC.

Kinda disappointing regarding his mostly highly professional approach to MMA up to now.

* Edited at 12.07.2012, 3:12 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

UFC 157
  • Saturday 02.23.2013 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: FX
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Honda Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,350,191
  • Attendance: 13,257 (Paid: 11,116)
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 450,000 | TV Ratings: 1.3M viewers (FX Prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Ronda Rousey   defeats   Liz Carmouche   via Submission, Armbar   4:49 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Lyoto Machida   defeats   Dan Henderson   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Urijah Faber   defeats   Ivan Menjivar   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:34 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Court McGee   defeats   Josh Neer   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Robbie Lawler   defeats   Josh Koscheck   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Brendan Schaub   defeats   Lavar Johnson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Michael Chiesa   defeats   Anton Kuivanen   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:29 Round 2 of 3, 7:29 Total Bout Page
Dennis Bermudez   defeats   Matt Grice   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Sam Stout   defeats   Caros Fodor   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kenny Robertson   defeats   Brock Jardine   via Submission, Kneebar   2:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Neil Magny   defeats   Jon Manley   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nah-shon Burrell   defeats   Yuri Villefort   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 5

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.25.2012 | 11:17 AM ET

Dela Riva is 100% correct. This isn't sexism, it's just fact. No one watches women's sports for the talent, or they'd be watching the male counterpart of that sport. Male sports are more competitive in general because the highest athletes in male sports are much better than the highest athletes in women sports.

Like Riva said, the majority of women sports appeal is in sex. Sexy sells.

@Kalibo You could disagree all you want but it's true; women sports are not popular at all. The highest rated WNBA game ever was a 0.6 Nielson Rating, worse than every Ultimate Fighter episode ever. People would rather watch The Ultimate Fighter over the WNBA. I'm sorry but that's just sad.

@xaeo Perhaps but women sports aren't about the talent pool because if people wanted to watch a deep talent pool compete against each other they'd watch the male version of the sport. Ronda Rousey is more than that. None of those girls in Invicta can siglehandedly draw as much as Ronda Rousey. Ronda Rousey IS WMMA, the only way people start paying attention to WMMA is if they start paying attention to Ronda Rousey.

If Rousey loses, WMMA is over.

"الله أكبرl"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

12.25.2012 | 2:21 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 1068th

Dela Riva, In America Women's Soccer is a far more viable sport than Men's Soccer and i wouldnt be surprised if the U.S. women's national team beat the breaks off the guys team.  So there is one example for you to chew on for a while.  Some of them are sexy and some of them look like dudes, but if given the opportunity to watch a USMNT match or a USWNT match I will watch the women's

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

xaeo
xaeo
  • Predictions:  6,781  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 250

12.25.2012 | 4:07 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 622nd

If Ronda had no talent, she wouldn't be there. I can clearly tell you've never watched all the Invicta events, so until you do, you will continue to come off like a 50 year old sexist man who doesn't appreciate the sport whatsoever. Rousey losing would be the most positive thing to happen to WMMA. She's like a false prophet. A lot of the Invicta girls are more attractive and have just as much personality with more talent than Ronda ever will. She will be replaced. Women in general have never truly been given a chance and its because of people like you. Invicta will bring WMMA to new heights. Shannon Knapp is the Martin Luther King Jr of WMMA and the small/close minded people like yourself will have been forgotten along with your ignorance. 

"The wild women, the wild women, and the rippin' and teh tearin', the rippin' and the tearin'"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

12.25.2012 | 4:11 PM ET

Predictions: 3 of 4 Winners, 2 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 1360th

Why are the trolls of this site still being given responses?!
JudoRandori
JudoRandori

12.25.2012 | 4:14 PM ET

Predictions: 3 of 4 Winners, 2 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 1360th

My response now is to someone I don't want to believe is trolling, mainly Anik.

I have watched women in MMA for over a decade, right along with the men, both for talent. Some sports I can't really watch women in, like basketball, because it seems like a weaker version of the male's sport. This is not true of MMA for me. Just like there are some weak female fighters, there are some weak male fighters. As far as ratios, women may even have the men beaten.

Anik
Anik

12.25.2012 | 4:45 PM ET

@JudoRandori I troll A LOT on this site, sometimes I'm writing **** and I think "wow what ****** would think of that" and then I click submit just to see the reaction.

But I honestly believe everything I've said in this thread, only over-sensitive idiots like xaeo would think that I was being sexist.

@xaeo I don't think Rousey was given a chance to thrive either, but she seized the chance and now she's growing into the face of WMMA. Rousey is WMMA, WMMA will not succeed without Rousey's help. How could someone say that there's more talented fighters when she's dominated two of the best women fighters in Miesha Tate and Sarah Kaufman? I wonder how many Invicta girls beat those two.

"الله أكبرl"

xaeo
xaeo
  • Predictions:  6,781  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 250

12.25.2012 | 6:27 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 622nd

haha if that's a serious question, you have no clue about WMMA. 

"The wild women, the wild women, and the rippin' and teh tearin', the rippin' and the tearin'"

EliteClubFighter
EliteClubFighter
  • Predictions:  288  |  68.4%
  • Forum Posts:  611
  • Post Score: -135

12.25.2012 | 6:35 PM ET

What you know about pulling armbars on d-level competition in round 1 dawg?
Anik
Anik

12.25.2012 | 7:03 PM ET

@xaeo It took Rousey less than 6 minutes to dispose of the number 1 and 2 ranked women bantamweights on the planet. If that's not impressive, you have no clue about anything, let alone WMMA.

"الله أكبرl"

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,835  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,617
  • Post Score: -69

12.26.2012 | 2:13 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 1263rd

Dela Riva

I watch Womens Korean volleyball on internt streams. You know I see? I see American women on their team. They are there because the talent pool is better over there............ and therefore more popular.

boo-ya

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

Dela Riva
Dela Riva
  • Predictions:  660  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  405
  • Post Score: 130

12.26.2012 | 2:36 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1216th

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,835  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,617
  • Post Score: -69

02.08.2013 | 6:56 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 1263rd

Wonder if the UFC will be giving chad a new comer once again since manny is injured.

* Edited at 02.08.2013, 6:59 PM ET *

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

02.23.2013 | 9:02 PM ET

For all of you who are questioning this, you still don't get it.

Zuffa = marketing corporation

UFC = 3 letters of the english alphabet

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case