Topic: UFC 157

UFC 157 gets new headliner.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.07.2012 | 3:10 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 488th

If up 'till now I was pretty sure Dana was banging Rousey, now I'm positive ...

No way Rousey/Carmouche headlines over Hendo (legend of the sport and multi-organization and weight class champ)/Machida (ex-UFC champ and owner of his own "era" -- short as it may be :) ).

From some point in time, Dana has been "Ronda this, Rousey that, she's awesome, she's amazing", they're pictured together almost EVERYWHERE.

One question Dana, what are you going to do once she loses??? (and she will, eventually)

He's putting all of his eggs in a not fully tested basket.

My prediction: Two years from now, the UFC's dissolving the woman's division. 

He's not building it right, and I suspect that's happening because the only reason he's doing it is to give Rousey a home and try to cash in on her as much as he can before she wilts, and see what happens after that.

You'll see, women from all weight classes are going to start cutting enormous amounts of weight or fighting much bigger girls only to fight in the UFC.

Kinda disappointing regarding his mostly highly professional approach to MMA up to now.

* Edited at 12.07.2012, 3:12 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

UFC 157
  • Saturday 02.23.2013 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: FX
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Honda Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,350,191
  • Attendance: 13,257 (Paid: 11,116)
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 450,000 | TV Ratings: 1.3M viewers (FX Prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Ronda Rousey   defeats   Liz Carmouche   via Submission, Armbar   4:49 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Lyoto Machida   defeats   Dan Henderson   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Urijah Faber   defeats   Ivan Menjivar   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:34 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Court McGee   defeats   Josh Neer   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Robbie Lawler   defeats   Josh Koscheck   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Brendan Schaub   defeats   Lavar Johnson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Michael Chiesa   defeats   Anton Kuivanen   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:29 Round 2 of 3, 7:29 Total Bout Page
Dennis Bermudez   defeats   Matt Grice   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Sam Stout   defeats   Caros Fodor   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kenny Robertson   defeats   Brock Jardine   via Submission, Kneebar   2:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Neil Magny   defeats   Jon Manley   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nah-shon Burrell   defeats   Yuri Villefort   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 4

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

12.24.2012 | 10:21 PM ET

Predictions: 3 of 4 Winners, 2 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 1360th

UFC 157 and 158 just might make my year.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.24.2012 | 10:33 PM ET

Just noticed yossgold's OP and to be quite honest, I completely agree with Dana White's position. Women's sports just DON'T GET FAMOUS...without a sexy name to market the sport. Ronda Rousey is that name. Ronda Rousey is WMMA. WMMA goes where Rousey goes. You want WMMA to succeed? Hope for Ronda to succeed. Dana's saying that Ronda's this and Ronda's that because SHE IS THIS and SHE IS THAT and no one else is this or that, let alone this AND that.

Personally, I don't care for WMMA. I'll watch some fights but the only WMMA fighter that has made me stay up late anticipating her fight is, of course, Ronda Rousey. I'm like the typical MMA fan when it comes to WMMA, give me a reason to watch it or I don't care. Ronda Rousey is that reason.

"الله أكبرl"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

12.24.2012 | 10:40 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 622nd

I don't think the typical MMA fan shares that opinion... atleast I hope not.  I hear ya though. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.24.2012 | 10:43 PM ET

I think that is the typical MMA fan's opinion. Typical MMA fans don't watch WMMA, the hardcores do though.

When has the women version of a sport ever succeeded? The only sport I can think of is tennis. Why? 'cause the athletes are sexy. Sex sells when it comes to women sports, which is a shame but how else do you appeal to men? The highest level of competition is only found with male athletes.

"الله أكبرl"

Kalibo
Kalibo

12.24.2012 | 10:49 PM ET

Times change... I disagree.

EDIT:  I disagree w/ your thoughts on women's sports in general.

* Edited at 12.24.2012, 10:50 PM ET *

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Dela Riva
Dela Riva
  • Predictions:  660  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  405
  • Post Score: 130

12.24.2012 | 10:52 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1216th

Anik is right. Name me a mainstream sport that female garner NEAR the popularity of men. Football? no. Hockey? no. Baseball? no. huh...
xaeo
xaeo
  • Predictions:  6,781  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 250

12.24.2012 | 10:56 PM ET

Anyone who has actually watched the full cards of Invicta would know that Ronda isn't anywhere near the best of the talent pool. She's like a Chael Sonnen, she's got the looks and the talk. Entertaining when faced against people willing to go into her strength when they have no business even attempting to accept a clinch/go to the ground. I think WMMA will do fine with or without Ronda. The events Invicta has put on has made a lot of UFC fighters, ironically, look like girls lol And as far as a lot of the girls fighting on those cards, they fight like monsters.  

"The wild women, the wild women, and the rippin' and teh tearin', the rippin' and the tearin'"

Kalibo
Kalibo

12.24.2012 | 11:01 PM ET

@Del... your thoughts are exactly why I hope the general MMA fans are a tad more educated now-a-days.

EDIT:  This isn't about men vs. women... this is about MMA.  If you can't stomach a woman competing.. GTFO.

* Edited at 12.24.2012, 11:02 PM ET *

Dela Riva
Dela Riva

12.24.2012 | 11:46 PM ET

Lol, educated? Thats a funny one. I'm quite educated when it comes to sports, thanks. And if you don't believe that a majority of Women's attention in sports comes from sexuality, then you're an ostrich, and i'm not talking about the bird.

Don't see where Anik or I said Womens sports were bad, just said they don't receive anywhere near the attention that male athletic sports do.
JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,835  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,617
  • Post Score: -69

12.25.2012 | 12:20 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 1263rd

Dela Riva

I would say women golf is on the same level as the mens

and also tennis

you say women tennis is on the same level as the men because they look good but I get the feeling you'd say that about any other sport that women maybe on the same level as

you make it seem like men sports don't get the popularity because they are good looking.

what about volleyball? Is that not a "womens sport"? 

Given your logic you would have people believe that volleyball for men is popular because they are hot

but that is not correct because your logic is wrong

Mens volleyball is as popular as womens volleyball because people love sports and if there are enough people interested in the sport to have a deep talent pool and created great teams then people will watch

Womens basketball and football is not popular because there isnt enough talent, not because they may not be attractive to the folks at home.

You sound like a 12 yr old kid

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

Dela Riva
Dela Riva

12.25.2012 | 12:36 AM ET

No, it's called realism, bozo. You look at a situation and critique it. I will attempt to decipher your malarkey of a rebuttal, because I'm having a hardtime amalgamating your broken up sentences and spaces.

From your babble, you seem to bring up volleyball as an antithesis, which is not what I'm arguing. Who gives a **** about Volleyball, besides when it happens during the olympics every 4 years? It's a rhetorical question. Is anyone going to Disagree with me?

1. Women's golf is not on the same level as Men, I'm sorry. The amount of superstars created from men's golf compared to Females is not comparable - same goes with coverage on mainstream sports centres.

2. In comparison to female sports, Men's side of sports aren't focused on looks as much women are. Are you a feminist, and looking at this irrationally? I'm just being real - it's the truth. I think women's sports can be just as good, or better in some cases than men, but they don't get the same attention and aren't taken as seriously, how can you deny that?

Honestly, for you to write what you just did, and try and call me a 12 year old, and illogical blows my mind.

So, Maybe Tennis is on the same level. Hockey, Football, Baseball, Basketball, College Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, MMA, Boxing,  etc. Just try and argue it.

Like, hell. That Australian olympian got all that attention because of some little sexy warm up dance she did, and not for her results or talent. 

* Edited at 12.25.2012, 12:39 AM ET *

JM Barrie
JM Barrie

12.25.2012 | 12:47 AM ET

you just dont get it

Hockey, Football, Baseball, Basketball, College Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, MMA, and boxing are not on the same level because there isnt a talent pool like the mens. I said that in my first post.

I like how you brought in those semi big words. What was that for? its so not your style. Perhaps me saying you sound like a 12 yr old got under your skin

* Edited at 12.25.2012, 12:48 AM ET *

Dela Riva
Dela Riva

12.25.2012 | 1:05 AM ET

Most of the times, I don't need to dig into the vocabulary bag, because the point can be easy to get across. Not as a big a talent pool? So Women don't play sports as much as men? Thus, women don't watch sports as much as men? Thus, Women don't get as much showtime? Thus, males control what sports gets more attention? Thus, males will be prone to like athletes that are more attractive? Thus the popular stars in most female sports are attractive? 

Look for youself, the top 50 most googled female atheltes. What are the odds, every female in the top 10 are super attractive.
http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/12/19/the-50-most-googled-female-athletes-of-2012/#51

A little harder to find a list for men.. for some peculiar reason.. but hey, look who is #1, Payton Manning.
JM Barrie
JM Barrie

12.25.2012 | 2:03 AM ET

Dela Riva

you can't change me and I can't change you but I do wonder if you turn off the TV when cyborg fights(i dont think she's unattractive but most disagree)

oh yes cyborg. I wonder why she is popular in MMA. Many think she is unattractive but yet she is popular........ my  goodness how odd is that? I bet yes yes I bet if there were more women like cyborg womens MMA would be very popular. Why is that Dela Riva?

anyways

* Edited at 12.25.2012, 2:09 AM ET *

Dela Riva
Dela Riva

12.25.2012 | 2:15 AM ET

Again, you keep giving me small examples. CYborg, tennis - thats it. There so much more. Just because people tune in to watch Cyborg demolish people doesnt mean  most people tune into womens sports for the same reason.

You cannot give a cohesive argument if you give me one exception - being cyborg.
JM Barrie
JM Barrie

12.25.2012 | 2:24 AM ET

you say people watch women in sports because they are attractive

I say people watch women in sports because of the talent

Attractiveness is just icing on the cake- see sexyama, i highly doubt people tune in to look at sexyamas' gorgeous face 

Bottom line is that if there were more talented women like cyborg in MMA, it would be more popular. Problem is Dela Riva like I have been saying is that the talent pool just isnt there 

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

12.25.2012 | 3:47 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 1263rd

Here's the thing... They're not men, and therefore they're not going to be able to play sports or compete physically at the same level as a man. It's not a sexist remark either, it's a scientific one. Women are great at a lot of things, but asking them to be as strong and fast as men is unrealistic. You have to watch it and appreciate it for what it is. It's like watching any other sport for women, it's a little slower paced generally, but it has its bright spots.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours, and 50 minutes from now.
curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

12.25.2012 | 9:23 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 875th

I think Diana Tarausi would ball up 1/2 the guys in the NBA . just saying...

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.25.2012 | 10:16 AM ET

And I think you are vastly overrating her abilities. She plays against vastly inferior teams then men do. She plays not simply against slower, less strong opponents, but has entire asset of the game she barely has to counter, such as dunking. The vast amount of woman players still can't dunk.  She likely get absolutely schooled by vast majority of men. I doubt she could stop most of them from dunking on her all day. 

* Edited at 12.25.2012, 10:20 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

12.25.2012 | 10:26 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 450 Points   |   Tied for 768th

Brittney Griner has a reach of 86" and broke a girls nose with a punch.Maybe she can be the lady Bones lol.

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : PFL signs top prospect Paul Hughes, says promotion president
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Magomed Umalatov remains unbeaten, Brendan Loughnane gets back on track with quick win
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 full results: Magomed Umalatov, Shamil Musaev keep unbeaten records intact
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Square Up With Yourself, Motherf—ker!
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Brendan Loughnane TKOs Pedro Carvalho; stoppage sparks controversy
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Shamil Musaev pulverizes Logan Storley with violent knockout blows
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighter’s puking causes TKO loss at Dynasty Combat Sports 91
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz walks out on final tour stop: ‘Square off with yourself motherf**ker’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Gabriel Braga knocks out Justin Gonzales in first fight since father's death
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz bails on final press conference with Jorge Masvidal: 'Square off with yourself, motherf*cker'
  • MMA Junkie : Paige VanZant to fight fellow OnlyFans star Elle Brooke at Misfits Boxing 15
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant fights Elle Brooke in Misfits Boxing 15 main event
  • MMA Mania : Hill Shrugs Off KO Loss, Books UFC 303 Return
  • MMA Junkie : Jamahal Hill books quick turnaround for UFC 303, faces Khalil Rountree
  • MMAFighting.com : Jamahal Hill vs. Khalil Rountree announced for McGregor vs. Chandler card at UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : UFC 300 Judge Apologizes For Oliveira Score
  • MMAFighting.com : Diaz vs. Masvidal Los Angeles press conference video
  • Middle Easy : Former UFC Fighter Paige VanZant Rumored For May 25 Boxing Match Against Influencer Elle Brooke