Tapology Forums

Anyone Else Think GSP/Shields Was A Bust?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ghostphantom563
ghostphantom563

05.01.2011 | 3:48 PM ET

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this topic up but I felt like it was bust. No questions were really answered, since I could have guess that GSP could outstrike Shields. We didn't get to see much of any grappling. Thoughts?

Responses Page 2

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

05.01.2011 | 10:23 PM ET

Great card overall, main event sucked. Oh well, 11 out of 12 aint bad!!

"Frig off, bud"

POPMYTRUNK
POPMYTRUNK
  • Predictions:  666  |  68.5%
  • Forum Posts:  125
  • Post Score: 171

05.01.2011 | 11:44 PM ET

best card ever except the main event which was the most important fight of the night ended up being a poor kickboxing exhibition... i didnt get to see any of shields ground game at all and instead of trying to finish him they just kept poking at each other....

"pop my trunk and everybody gets to running"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

05.02.2011 | 1:01 AM ET

I think people are reading GSP's performance all wrong. In fact, I believe one of the main reasons he didn't get the finish (aside from the eye injury and the fact that Shields has only been finished once in his career) is the fact that he was winging that right hand, searching for the KO too aggressively; the exact opposite of what most people on this forum are suggesting.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

slapedurmomsace
slapedurmomsace
  • Predictions:  879  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  62
  • Post Score: 47

05.02.2011 | 1:49 AM ET

The whole card was exciting even if you consider the GSP/Shields let down. I wasn't exactly sober, but with GSP bad eye, and taking damage I really thought Shields was gonna come out and possibly pull it off in the 4th and 5th. oh well.

"Jackson the JRT..the original Rampage!!"

raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

05.02.2011 | 10:05 AM ET

I'm as big of a GSP fan as anyone and, as I tweeted after the event, this was the first time I have been disappointed in one of his performances. He seemed to be genuinely scared to engage Shields on the ground to the extent that he refused to follow up the ONE TIME he managed to knock Jake down. 

In all of GSP's previous decision wins, he completely dominated his opponent and left no doubt who the better fighter was. No dominance was seen on Saturday. Honestly, he only marginally won the stand-up battle and definitely lost the final round. How this could be considered anything but a disappointment is beyond my understanding.

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.02.2011 | 10:48 AM ET

He was fighting with one eye for 3 rounds.  My position is changing after the "poke".  I would have agreed yesterday, but after seeing why GSP was hesitant those last 3 rounds, I no longer hold that opinion.  He did what he had to do to win with one eye.  Check out the "poke" clip.. I posted it in another thread.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

skelliher
skelliher

05.02.2011 | 10:59 AM ET

It was definitely disappointing, and I say that as a huge GSP fan. The distinction I'm holding to, however, in line with the new footage of the eye gouge (as Kalibo pointed out) is that I'm more disappointed in the circumstances surrounding the fight than in GSP himself. I was very happy with his performance in the first two rounds. Not so much in the last three rounds, but I think the eye gouge is a legitimate excuse. I've been poked in one kickboxing match, and I took a full five minutes to recover and still ended up losing the decision because I had blurred vision. And mine wasn't nearly as bad as that gouge.

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 11:03 AM ET

@Skelliher.. Agree 100 percent now.  Just ask Mr. Rich Franklin how bad an eye gouge can be.  Goodness I hope GSP does not have to go through that procedure.  Here is to hoping his ok and all he needs is time to heal up.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

05.02.2011 | 11:06 AM ET

@skelliher - I agree that GSP looked like he wanted to finish the fight as he kept throwing those big windmill overhand rights, but even when he did connect it was never followed up by anything.  Maybe he was just expecting the one punch KO, but GSP hardly put together any combos in this fight.  Some fighters use their jabs to set up takedowns or striking combos, but GSP just seems to use his to keep his distance and win fights.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

skelliher
skelliher

05.02.2011 | 11:06 AM ET

Luckily GSP posted a FB message yesterday saying he was told everything was going to be fine. Here it is:

"Hey guys just want to say that I am ok. I'll need to see a doctor in the next days! Yesterday I was told it was not a retina problem. THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!!!! I am so lucky my BJJ instructor Bruno Fernandes is an ophtamologist!!! I'll be in good hands!!!" - GSP 5/1/11

GarciaIsLeyend
GarciaIsLeyend
  • Predictions:  39  |  51.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 320

05.02.2011 | 11:07 AM ET

As pretty much everyone else here, I'm a big GSP fan, and as a fan I didn't feel disappointed. Most people think Saint-Pierre is a super-man, but the truth is he still a human and know he could lose the fight, therefore showed some big respect to Shields BJJ technique, fighting on his feet for the whole five rounds.

GSP is, by far, the best fighter of the UFC (along with Anderson Silva) but he's still not perfect.

"Say I won't."

skelliher
skelliher

05.02.2011 | 11:07 AM ET

@Lynx: I need to re-watch the fight, but from what I saw in the first two rounds, Georges was sticking to the straight combos, along with a spinning back kick that was only moderately successful. I don't remember him transitioning to the winging overhand right until the third, which would be in line with my argument above. It would also make sense that he would be unable to land the punch with his vision the way it was.

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

05.02.2011 | 11:20 AM ET

I need to rewatch the fight too, but the way I look at it is Shields has weak striking skills, especially when compared to GSP as well as his own BJJ/wrestling.  GSP had him standing the entire fight and was only even able to rock him once or twice (I think once with clear vision and once with blurred vision), neither time going for the kill.  It reminds me of when he had Hardy on his back for over 20 minutes and caused no visible damage nor did he finish the fight.  He did have some nice submission attempts, but Hardy is not impossible to submit. 

I just think GSP is way more interested in winning the fight than finishing it, but he continues to claim that's not the case.  If he were just to admit that he's a grinder already, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it just like I don't have a problem with the way Fitch fights because he admits it's his style and I enjoy watching it.  GSP always claims he'll be looking to finish the fight, but he just doesn't risk anything to do so.

There were 12 fights at UFC 129, the first 11 were all great and exciting to watch, fact is GSP's fight was a disappointing way to end the night and even earned a few boos from the Toronto crowd.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

jsebag
jsebag
  • Predictions:  670  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: 42

05.02.2011 | 11:26 AM ET

I don`t think it was a bust by any means.  Although I felt that GSP should have been able to finish Shields in this fight - a poke in the eye does not help.  This has happened to me before and having one eye will certainly through off the precision of your shots.  What`s impressive is the fact that Shields was not able to do anything against George.  We all know GSP for not finishing but we need to see a bit more urgency from the challengers to actually try and finish a fight even if it means that they will get knocked out.  They have nothing to lose.  The perfect example is Mark Hominick...that guy fought his ass off regardless of the outcome he tried to finish the fight until the final horn.   He didn't care if he got knocked out he just went for it.   The real debate should be around the challengers and have them be more aggressive rather than the champions.

I guarantee Hominick is in a better chance of getting a rematch for a title than Jake Shields.  He impressed me for the full 25 mins.  He is a true ``Machine``

"To be the man you have to beat the man"

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

05.02.2011 | 1:37 PM ET

Was this a disappointing prefromance by GSP? Yes it was.

But do remember the man couldn't see out of one eye after the 2nd round. Add the fact that Jake Shields striking was improved (and may have been understimated by everyone, even the champ) and you could see why GSP couldn't finish off Shields. Shields is no easy man to finish off (ask Henderson) and it seems now he's become less one-dimensional.

I did think it was funny that GSP came close to losing his title via split-descion (though Uniamous, two of the judges awarded the fight 48-47 to GSP)

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 1:50 PM ET

@Lynx.. He was patient in not attacking right away when Shields was hurt.  Time and time again fighters rush in and get finished themselves, so I do not fault him for that.  I still really attribute his performance to that damn poke.  Have you guys watched it in the link that I gave?  I don't even know what kind of strike Jake was trying to throw there.. looked like Wolverine going for the eye stab.

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 3:03 PM ET

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.02.2011 | 5:49 PM ET

Glad i wasnt one of the people jumping to conclusions on this one.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.02.2011 | 7:28 PM ET

@Kalibo, do you have a different video? The other one was deleted

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 7:43 PM ET

I knew it wouldn't take long for it to get deleted.  I have a still pic that shows the fingers extended into his eye.  I can post that if you would like.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Love Dana White. There’s No Issues’
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO CEO Ari Emanuel earned nearly $65 million in compensation in 2023, including $20 million bonus from UFC
  • Middle Easy : Marlon Vera Calls Out Ex-UFC Champion for Bantamweight Title Eliminator at MSG in November
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez not surprised Steve Erceg got UFC title shot, despite Muhammad Mokaev's 'tougher resume'
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 2
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day interviews
  • UFC.com : Best UFC Fights To Happen In Rio de Janeiro | UFC Fight Pass
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Islam Makhachev not excited by potential Max Holloway matchup – not yet, at least
  • MMA Mania : Full PFL Uncasville Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler official with 7 fights booked so far
  • MMA Mania : Bull-Riding Cerrone ‘Rushed Into Surgery’
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara gets replacement opponent for Combate Global debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Caio Borralho questions why Paulo Costa can’t fix ‘basic’ mistake that led Robert Whittaker loss
  • MMA Mania : How, When To Buy Tickets For UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Dricus Du Plessis on board with Jiri Prochazka moving to middleweight
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith is Blinded by His Own UFC Title Aspirations: ‘It’s Making Me a Worse Fighter’