Tapology Forums

Anyone Else Think GSP/Shields Was A Bust?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ghostphantom563
ghostphantom563

05.01.2011 | 3:48 PM ET

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this topic up but I felt like it was bust. No questions were really answered, since I could have guess that GSP could outstrike Shields. We didn't get to see much of any grappling. Thoughts?

Responses

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

05.01.2011 | 3:52 PM ET

i was just happy gsp won and got some takedowns

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

05.01.2011 | 4:01 PM ET

I don't know that anyone was really satisfied with the fight.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.01.2011 | 4:21 PM ET

A let down?  Yeah.  A bust?  Nah.  It was just a let down... like a night where you have to use your "fail safe" due to striking out.  You get the same conclusion, just in a different way.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.01.2011 | 4:28 PM ET

I enjoyed it.  Im about to watch it again fully sober but the fight had some really good moments and gsp fought well with one eye.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

05.01.2011 | 4:41 PM ET

The event as a whole was great the main event left everyone watching a little underwhelmed. GSP had a bad night, we can think of many excuses why but he didn't look like the fighter we are use to seeing. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.01.2011 | 4:59 PM ET

@bigj i think it all comes down to the eye.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 5:36 PM ET

He was was definately off though.  When was the last time you saw GSP continuously throw wide, looping over hand rights?  An average striker would have capitalized on that.  He is usually very technical and sound.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

ghostphantom563
ghostphantom563

05.01.2011 | 5:45 PM ET

@Kalibo I guess calling it a let down is more fitting but it still was annoying to get pumped up for little to nothing.
Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 5:46 PM ET

No one will disagree with you on that.. it sure was.  Thank goodness for the rest of the card.  GSP will be back.. he goes through these phases.

kayot1k
kayot1k
  • Predictions:  535  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

05.01.2011 | 5:55 PM ET

bad night? phases? what are we talking about here.

gsp fought his game. he had not intentions to take it to the mat. had moments where he was outstrucken.
for someone who is athletically gifted and with a much more refined skillset it was embarassing for the home crowd and fans to watch his display.

"Time to kick ass and chew bubblegum ... and im all out of gum"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.01.2011 | 6:09 PM ET

all i can say is i was made a hominick fan.......gsp i still feel the same about............does anyone get frustrated watching gsp because you know he has the skills to finish the fight if he takes a chance and goes for it but he doesnt and is satisfied with a decision

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.01.2011 | 6:34 PM ET

I honestly just want somebody to outpoint GSP and see if it will get him back to finishing fights

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  81,833  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

05.01.2011 | 7:00 PM ET

The main event was fine, Gsp overcame an eye injury during the fight and beat a fantastic fighter. Jake shields fights are usually him sitting or laying on his opponent for the whole fight, so if you found the fight a dissapointment what were you expecting? If anyone didnt like the fight blame shields, he decided to stand up and do nothing for 5 rounds, he's the master of the ground game so he brought nothing to the most important match of his life.
jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

05.01.2011 | 8:21 PM ET

People are getting on GSP but what about Shields? It takes two for a bad fight. What was the plan? Where was the plan? I understand you're fighting an extraordinary fighter, but that's your one UFC title opportunity and you don't really take any chances to make it happen? I would have expected him to shoot and shoot and shoot, fake the punch and shoot, just keep coming at him. It was a very passive effort and he never adjusted between rounds.

As Joe said, there was a point around round two where Jake just looked lost and confused, and I understand how that could happen. But you still have 15 minutes to rally, to switch things up and change your attack. C'mon Jake!

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 8:31 PM ET

Jake isn't considered the top P4P fighter though.. expectations are completely different and that is just the reality of it.  I'll wait to see what the "injury" was before I discuss that little issue. 

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

05.01.2011 | 8:32 PM ET

The fight went exactly how I thought it would.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

DV8ed Septum
DV8ed Septum
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  559
  • Post Score: 142

05.01.2011 | 9:06 PM ET

Its a fight and sometimes freaky **** happens. Big balls for fighting 3 rounds with one eye and somehow still winning. Shields should have been more aggressive late in the fight, he didn't and lost because of it. GSP needs some sun with his pasty butt also. How about Aldo vs Hominick tho? awesome fight, great card all around IMO

"Grrr."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 9:12 PM ET

It was a great card.. we should focus on the night in its entirety.

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

05.01.2011 | 10:13 PM ET

The card was fantastic! The main event was sucko. I agree with Jeremy that Shields is as much to blame as GSP.

The 5th round was his last chance to get some kind of ground game going and I think he only tried for 3 half-assed TDs. What are these guys thinking when they're WAAAY down on the judges cards and still fight like they have 10 more rounds?

I've never been a GSP fan and would be shocked if he ever finishes another fight. He kept complaining about how his eye was effecting the fight, but when Kos only had 1 eye for 4 rounds he still couldn't finish him.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

05.01.2011 | 10:22 PM ET

After the first 11 fights I thought this was the hands down greatest event ever.  GSP vs Shields definitely put a bit of a damper on that.  For me the first 11 fights were still enough to make this my all time favourite event, but this is just what GSP does now.  I think what bugs me the most is that he still claims that he's trying to finish the fight.  ********.  The only way I'm looking forward to GSP's next fight is if it's against Anderson or Nick Diaz.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’