Topic: Aldo vs. Edgar

Aldo vs. Edgar

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,523
  • Post Score: 60

11.15.2012 | 11:48 AM ET

Prediction: correct Aldo   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Aldo vs. Edgar. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

01.31.2013 | 3:57 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Edgar   wrong Decision  

I actually have a 2 week bet going with Die, but if you wanna let me have your avatar for a week, im down. In the event that i lose, you get my avatar after the 2 weeks that Die has it. Sig, and location as well?

"3HUNNA"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

01.31.2013 | 4:00 PM ET

Prediction: correct Aldo   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

sounds good

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Derp
Derp
  • Predictions:  3,270  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: 216

01.31.2013 | 4:37 PM ET

Gotta go with Aldo. He's been too dominant for too long. Like Anderson Silva, I don't see myself picking against him until his streak is broken.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

01.31.2013 | 5:51 PM ET

I've heard alot of people talk about the leg kicks of Aldo, I don't know if Edgar needs to worry about them too much to be honest.

When Edgar fought Bendo in Japan he consistently caught the low kicks that Bendo threw, and as far as strength I definitely think Bendo is right up there with the best kickers in the sport. Aldo has that awesome muay thai technique but still, I think the leg kicks could ultimately end bad for Aldo. Aldo throws the leg kicks, if Edgar doesn't catch it all it he has to do is time it and he can take Aldo down with relative ease. 

We have seen Aldo fade as the fight goes on in some fights, he doesn't get completely exhausted, but its for sure clear that his gas tank isn't up to par with a guy like Edgar. Alot of people mention how aldo has that JJ background but Edgar has good defense, he has been caught in submissions before. Bendo is a master of the guillotine, he had it in deep on Edgar but Frankie kept his composure and escaped it. 

* Edited at 01.31.2013, 5:53 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

TraeBlack
TraeBlack

01.31.2013 | 5:54 PM ET

Its ok Mike, people are gonne be shocked to see Aldo leave the states with out the belt. Edgar is about to make history on Saturday

"3HUNNA"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

01.31.2013 | 5:54 PM ET

In their second fight, the low leg kick was working great for Bendo in the first. Then he abandoned it for some reason. And I think Edgar only caught it once.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

01.31.2013 | 5:58 PM ET

In the first fight Edgar caught the leg quite a bit. 

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

01.31.2013 | 6:13 PM ET

What does Edgar do, he pushes the pace. He has the heart and the cardio to push the pace unlike anyone Aldo has fought. Edgar already said his gameplan is to test Aldo and bring him into deep waters

"I think me pushing the pace could be something that I could use to my advantage. In his last fight, it only went the first round, so we didn't really get to see his cardio. But the Hominick fight, it looked like he slowed down some. And the Florian fight was a pretty controlled pace, so I think pushing the pace is going to be something I'm gonna try to do."

Edgar knows how beat Aldo. I think Edgar also by far has the best wrestler Aldo has ever faced. You had Mendes but lets all be real, Mendes would have gotten his TDs is Jose wasn't grabbing the cage constantly, that isn't even arguable. Go watch the fight, there was 1 time where Mendes actually scooped Aldo up and had a slam going but Aldo had the cage so he just ended up on his feet, Aldo would have been put on his back at multiple points in that fight.

amp112
amp112

01.31.2013 | 6:47 PM ET

Aldo uses a controlled attack and he is a solid counterstriker, so he'll be looking for Frankie to make mistakes. However, Frankie's boxing is very crisp and his footwork may cause Aldo to miss more often than he is used to.

Frankie has several options here, but they aren't easy. He can either try to fight a boxing match with Aldo, but the risk of getting beat is pretty big. If Aldo gets to the point where Maynard was in the first rounds of their title fights, Edgar is not getting back up. 

Mendes had no success taking Aldo down, but Frankie is the more dynamic wrestler. He took Bendo down a few times at 144. Could very likely take Aldo down at several points of the fight.
TraeBlack
TraeBlack

01.31.2013 | 6:49 PM ET

Edgar will out Aldo on his butt a few times during this fight. Edgar will also tap that chin a few times as well. This fight is gonna be a reminder as to why people should not look past Edgar, and that he is championship caliber no matter what division he is in. Aldo is gonna cry at the post fight press conference. If he even shows up to it.

"3HUNNA"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.31.2013 | 6:51 PM ET

Edgar will get the decision b/c of mma politics. DW wanted edgar at FW and he wants aldo at LW. it works out best with this scenario.
TraeBlack
TraeBlack

01.31.2013 | 6:55 PM ET

Not because of MMA politics, but because he will have beat Aldo fair, and square in a 5 round fight. No politics will be needed here. Just a clear win for Edgar.

"3HUNNA"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.31.2013 | 7:00 PM ET

i'm not an Edgar fan at all and i like "Smooth" alot but Edgar beat him  the second time. i think he will get the benefit of the doubt if its close. plus edgar's wrestling will be the difference.
TraeBlack
TraeBlack

01.31.2013 | 7:01 PM ET

I dont think it will be close. I think Edgar wins 4 rounds to 1. I just have a special feeling that Edgar is gonna shock alot of people. He may even finish Aldo in the later rounds.

"3HUNNA"

amp112
amp112

01.31.2013 | 7:19 PM ET

I thought Bendo clearly won the first fight and Edgar barely won the 2nd. Giving Bendo the 2nd fight is more forgivable than giving Edgar the 1st IMO
legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

01.31.2013 | 7:20 PM ET

the only shocked people on satruday are going to be @trae and @mikelovestacos after watching Aldo KO Frankie in the 3rd, because after reading all your arguments you seem to forget that Aldo is the best striker Frankie has faced, Maynard and Bendo had Frankie in trouble but didn´t finished, Aldo won´t have the same problem. we´ll see a Mortal Kombat worthy finish

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

01.31.2013 | 7:40 PM ET

So Aldo couldn't finish Faber, Florian or Hominick but he's gonna finish Frankie? Riiiiiiiight.....Aldo may win but it won't be a finish. Frankie will retire some day and when he does all his losses will be by decision only.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.31.2013 | 7:59 PM ET

Edgar's wrestling just doesn't give me confidence in his ability to take the fight to the ground. In his last 6 fights (Penn X 2, Maynard X 2, Henderson X 2) he's attempted 62 TDs and landed a total of 14 leaving him with an accuracy of 22.58% Those numbers are bad when compared with the TDD that Aldo possesses. 

As for Mendes, well, he should have gotten 1 TD. However, there was only 1 TD that Jose actually grabbed the fence. Mendes attempted 7. Kenny was 1/19, and the 1 he landed did not last for any time at all. Faber and Brown are good wrestlers that couldn't put Aldo on his back and combined with Gamburyan (high-level judo practitioner) went 0/16 on TDs. 

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

01.31.2013 | 8:05 PM ET

@p4p and all his victories too, lol

now seriously, yeah why not?, I don´t know why Homminick didn´t died during or after his fight with Aldo, and with Urijah naturally padded chin, who could finish him? so far no one has, but Frankie has been in all kind of trouble before and Aldo has just the killier insinct needed to finish him.

will it be easy?....yes

will it be fast?....yes

will it be painless? ...NO

EDIT: Aldo didn´t needed to KO Florian, because, well it´s Florian, he was going to find a way to lose that Title bout on his own...

* Edited at 01.31.2013, 8:08 PM ET *

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

01.31.2013 | 8:29 PM ET

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Fires Back At Michael Chandler For Criticizing His Decision To Turn Down Islam Makhachev Title Fight
  • Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Moves Up To Challenge Kade Ruotolo For Lightweight Title At ONE 168
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje plans to limit physical training for 'six months at least' after UFC 300 knockout loss
  • MMA Mania : Garcia: ‘Crazy’ Gimmick Planned Months In Advance
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Says He Is Likely To Earn ‘$30-50 Million’ From Devin Haney Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘My son got down on you’: Bill Haney and Floyd Mayweather get into heated argument online
  • MMAFighting.com : Ilia Topuria on Sean O’Malley superfight: ‘If he defends the belt, that’s going to be the biggest fight in UFC history’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 pre-event facts: Karine Silva looks to continue historic octagon start
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Parking Lot Incident With ‘Crazy Lady’, Says She Texted Dana White About Possibly Going To Jail
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry targets fights with Jake Paul and 'fat b*tch' Darren Till if successful at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • Jits Magazine : Star-Studded Lineup Confirmed For UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler criticizes Arman Tsarukyan turning down UFC 302 title fight, Tsrukyan unloads back
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Official For July 27 In Manchester
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 commentary team, broadcast plans set: New trio calls action from cageside for first time
  • MMAFighting.com : The 2024 MMA Draft: Which 35 fighters are the best building blocks for MMA promotions?
  • MMA Mania : Gaethje Didn’t Realize ‘How Much Danger I Was In’ Against Holloway
  • MMA Junkie : UFC returns to Manchester for UFC 304 on July 27
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 announced for Manchester this summer
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ryan Garcia admits health concerns were all an act: ‘I was not gonna budge for nobody’
  • MMA Mania : Barber Was Ready To ‘Lay This Lady Out’ In Viral Video