Topic: Matt Hughes

Curious as to people's feelings on Matt Hughes apparent retirement

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

PatGallagher
PatGallagher
  • Predictions:  258  |  53.9%
  • Forum Posts:  18
  • Post Score: 272

10.16.2012 | 9:18 PM ET

First of all: Hello to everyone, I'm pretty new to this site and enjoying it so far :D so please go easy on me ;) 
It appears that Matt Hughes has retired and I'm just wondering how people feel about it. I think it's about time, I'm a huge Hughes fan and while sad to see him go I'm happy I won't have to worry about seeing him get knocked out again. With a record of 45-9-0 (pretty impressive) and wins over every UFC welterweight champion besides Pat Militech (and Carlos Condit if you include the interim title) Matt pretty much has nothing left to prove in MMA. I'll always remember Hughes as the beast who slammed people to the mat and delivered brutal ground and pound, as opposed to his later K-1 performances :P Hughes-Trigg 2 is still my favourite comeback of all time from the knee to the nuts to Matt carrying Trigg across the cage I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Certainly a legend and perhaps the greatest welterweight of all time ( just an opinion people!! GSP is certainly worthy of the mantle aswell). Just glad his losses never reached the double digits :P anyway let me know how you feel about Matt retiring wether you were a fan or not everyone is entitled to an opinion. Peace out hombres :D 

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"

Matt Hughes

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Matthew Allen Hughes
  • Pro MMA Record: 45-9-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: September 24, 2011 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 170.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Finney's HIT Squad
  • Height: 5'9" (176cm) | Reach: 73.0" (185cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,510,000 USD
  • Born: Hillsboro, Illinois, United States
  • Fighting out of: Hillsboro, Illinois
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

10.16.2012 | 10:31 PM ET

@live that's really gross lol. i figured it was exaggerated, but still, sounds like he has some interesting stories

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.16.2012 | 10:34 PM ET

Turns out that Hughes doesn't have a nickname, "Ballchucker" sounds right.

"الله أكبرl"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

10.16.2012 | 10:37 PM ET

@Pat I already like you man, I'm a big fan of Hughes since I first saw him fight against Newton back in 2001, he is a great talented smart fighter, brutally strong, and since I've never saw him in  TUF, I think of him as an alright person, he is one of my favorite fighters, and I'm glad he is retiring, as you said, he doesn't have anything left to prove and he's had a long career, I rather watch him retire now than watch  him get KO'd again.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

10.16.2012 | 10:39 PM ET

I thought Matt Hughes nickname was "Country Breakfast".

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.16.2012 | 10:40 PM ET

@legacyofmisfortune I like your AV...

"الله أكبرl"

cowcatcher
cowcatcher
  • Predictions:  424  |  59.0%
  • Post Score: 267

10.16.2012 | 10:41 PM ET

Hughes will go down as the best WW of his time.  He dominated a weight class like just about no one else before him, and was able to do so while still being a throwback type, one dimensional fighter at a time where guys were becoming more well rounded.  I really can't speak to the personal stuff, like some of the things in his book(beating up his dad with his bro, etc.), except to say that we all have done some stupid things in our youth, and I'm not sure he's that much worse than anyone else.  He did come off as arrogant on TUF at times, but again, that's edited to show things in a certain light, so I can't say that he was, in reality, a **** or if he just was just portrayed that way.  I'm glad he's getting out of the sport now because outside of the fights with Big Dog and Renzo he hadn't looked good in his recent fights and it seemed like it was time to get out.

"No matter win or lose, always cheat."

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

10.16.2012 | 10:59 PM ET

@Anik, yeah my Av got Aniked ;)

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

HitmanDK
HitmanDK
  • Predictions:  889  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  146
  • Post Score: 132

10.17.2012 | 1:38 PM ET

He was a great fighter (it's debatable how great of a person he was) but it was definitely time for him to retire. He looked nothing like his old self and the long lay offs weren't gonna do him any favors.

"They are welcome to boo me but they have to pay for the privilege."

Crispy989
Crispy989
  • Predictions:  2,929  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 176

10.17.2012 | 2:49 PM ET

Hughes vs Trigg was my favorite too but Hughes will b back if Dana offers him the right fight! And PRICE!!!

"Leave it all in the Cage"

PatGallagher
PatGallagher
  • Predictions:  258  |  53.9%
  • Post Score: 272

10.17.2012 | 8:43 PM ET

Apologies hombres, I have been busy all day and not had even a moment to post until now (1:31 am in Scotland with the rain almost crashing my windows in!!). I'd like to thank you all for contributing to my first thread :) and I hope any I create in future/ contribute to are as well received as this one. 
The general consensus seems to be that Matt Hughes was a hell of a warrior who deserves his place in the hall of fame and has done his legacy justice, with the only downside being Matt as a person (not very nice). I agree with cowcatcher who stated that TUF is edited to show people in a certain way and for entertainment purposes. Anyway everyone seems to agree that Matt's time has come after a pretty damn good career at welterweight.
@Crispy989 we know the money could make Hughes fight again, however I'm sure Dana has stated before that he'd prefer Matt to retire as he has nothing left to prove.
On a sidenote the only fight that even seems to be in existence for Hughes at the moment is Dan Hardy and while I personally like Hardy and it would be a good fight for him, I have no interest in seeing Hughes knocked out by a pretty much middle to lower tier fighter. PS Old Slammin' Matt Hughes (new nickname anyone? :P) would rip Hardy a new one! :D sorry for the long read, just my opinions, peace out hombres ;)

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: And New Super Lightweight Champion?
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Injured, Bellator Paris Title Fight Paused
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Inks PFL Extension, Returns At Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Rothwell hopes Mark Hunt signing with BKFC materializes, wants rematch that 'brings eyes'
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Banks Big Money After Placing a $2 Million Bet on Himself to Defeat Devin Haney
  • MMA Junkie : Murad Ramazanov lauds Nurmagomedov training discipline for fast start in PFL debut
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Garcia’s big win over Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Ryan Garcia’s big win over Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘This Could Be A Career Death Sentence’
  • MMAFighting.com : DC calls for McGregor vs. Chandler to be 165-pound ‘super lightweight’ title fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Be Prepared To Bleed, Rainbow!’
  • Bad Left Hook : Pitbull Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr, Santa Cruz vs Mares 3 on Crawford undercard
  • Middle Easy : Jamahal Hill Says He ‘Took No Damage’ Against Alex Pereira, Plans To Take Out ‘Frustrations’ Against Khalil Rountree Jr
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall's MMA debut opponent revealed as full 2024 PFL Europe 2 lineup announced
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Shuts Down Chances Of Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Fighting For Proposed 165-Pound Title
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC owners at Triller acquired by Hong Kong-based finance company in $4 billion merger
  • MMA Junkie : The Ryan Garcia show is ready to take off after upset of Devin Haney | Opinion
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall ‘Would Be In Trouble’ Against Someone Like Velasquez
  • MMA Junkie : John Kavanagh: Conor McGregor's 'technique is as sharp as ever' ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Watch BROADENED HORIZIN — Feat. Satoshi, Archuleta, Watanabe