Topic: All-Time Greatest Fighters

Soares: I truly believe Anderson is the greatest of all time

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.18.2011 | 10:55 PM ET

Ed Soares says that he believes Anderson Silva is the greatest fighter of all time. Well here's a greatest fighters of all time thread... who do you have at #1 and why?  Where does Anderson Silva belong?  Should all time fav fighters be kind of like pound for pound, where you take into account the era they were fighting in, even if they couldn't hack it today?

http://mmaweekly.com/anderson-silva-doesnt-want-to-be-the-best-he-wants-to-be-the-best-ever

“What he’s done is going to be very difficult for anybody ever to repeat… eight title defenses, 13 consecutive wins in the UFC. I think the way the sport is evolving and how much better these athletes and all these fighters are getting, I think for you to roll off 13 wins consecutively in the UFC is something almost next to impossible.”

Silva’s reign of terror has been nothing short of remarkable.

In those 13 wins, Silva has finished 11 of his opponents with either strikes or submissions. In nine of those victories, the fight never made it past the second round.

Silva is often touted as the top pound-for-pound fighter on the planet by UFC president Dana White, and his manager believes that he’s not only on his way to being considered the greatest of all time, he might already be there.

“I really truly believe in my heart that Anderson Silva is the greatest fighter of all time,” Soares commented.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Responses

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

04.18.2011 | 10:58 PM ET

I think hes the greatest of all time. Ed Soares might be a super ****** but hes right about Silva.

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.18.2011 | 10:59 PM ET

I just made my ranking and have Randy #1 because of how much he has meant for the sport, how much of a spokesperson he has been, and because he has been there almost for the entire history of the sport, is still fighting today, and has always defied the odds.  Even though he might not have been as talented as Anderson, he meant more to MMA.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

04.18.2011 | 11:01 PM ET

I'm gonna wait until he steps up and fights Jones....

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

Heroak
Heroak

04.18.2011 | 11:04 PM ET

You dont even have him in your top 10 all time?

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

04.18.2011 | 11:20 PM ET

LOL @ super ******. I actually like Ed Soares.  Zuffa is so powerful that fighters can get beat up in negotiations or caving in to whatever they are asked.  I don't always agree with everything Soares says, but I respect how he's been able to stick up for his guys, keep their messages on point, etc.

Haven't updated my greatest fighters ranking in a while, but Anderson probably deserves to nudge up a couple spots on my list at this point, with the wins over Sonnen and Belfort.

"I live, I die, I live again."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

04.18.2011 | 11:25 PM ET

@GutturalReef, not even in the top 10? To each his own, if you don't mind me asking, why is he not above someone like Vitor? Not disrespect meant, just curious.

"Frig off, bud"

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  81,584  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

04.19.2011 | 12:37 AM ET

Anderson Silva without a doubt. I think chuck liddell , Dana White and the first griffin/bonnar fight are the 3 most pivitol pieces in bringing MMA to the level it is today. To argue that anderson silva is not the best mma fighter of all time is plain funny.
WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.19.2011 | 1:08 AM ET

Anderson could make a good statement for GOAT. But GOAT is based more on opinion and nuthuggery rather than fact. Until someone has a 100-0 record all by stoppage no one will be undisputed GOAT.

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

04.19.2011 | 1:17 AM ET

@Reef i'm too curious of your rankings..to each their own but why have Aldo and Cruz but no Anderson?!

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Heroak
Heroak

04.19.2011 | 1:27 AM ET

@winningone when choosing a goat you go off of current achievements not what a true goat could potentially do. Goat means best ever so far, not best ever potentially until eternity or else there'd be no point in choosing.

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.19.2011 | 1:32 AM ET

Nobody has the accomplishments that match Anderson in the history of MMA. To defend your title 8 times was unheard of at the UFC level. The only one coming even close right now is GSP he would have to keep winning as long as Anderson does. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Heroak
Heroak

04.19.2011 | 3:06 AM ET

Thats why i have Fedor #2 because of how long he stayed technically undefeated. His sudden fall from grace means nothing except for his ways arent working anymore. Big nog is #3 because of the wars he was in and all the people he beat and how he was never KOed until he got old. GSP is #4 for obv reasons. I didnt see Hendo in anyones top 10 but hes in mine because hes the only one to ever hold titles in pride, ufc and strikeforce, and of course all the huge wins hes had, even now that hes 40.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

04.19.2011 | 6:03 AM ET

@Heroak ... Hes 2nd in mine...! WHAT A MAN!! HENDO!... But yes i agree Anderson is goat but if Hendo beats Fedor I think im going to move him to 1 :D

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

04.19.2011 | 6:20 AM ET

@heroak funny you should say that.....hendo's in mine somewhere....haha

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.19.2011 | 6:22 AM ET

Anderson is the obvious #1 imo as of this moment.  Mr. Soares is correct.

@reef, I see a few have commented.. I just wanted add my question.. why no GSP in your top 10?

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

04.19.2011 | 11:56 AM ET

On top of the fact that Anderson has defended his UFC title a record eight straight times as well as remaining undefeated in the UFC after thirteen fights, the reason I have him at number one is just the way he fights.  Some of his fights look like they're straight out of an action movie.  His head movement and accuracy are second to NONE.  I couldn't believe he fought Vitor with his hands down while still slipping every one of those lightning quick punches.  The man is incredible and I really hope he gets a chance to fight Sonnen again without the rib injury and without the mindset of submitting Sonnen.  I think we'd see a quick knockout.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Kalibo
Kalibo

04.19.2011 | 12:15 PM ET

Agreed LynxGuy.  Our top 10 is pretty darn close!  I put Hughes in there instead of Royce (body of work), but the other two differences are pretty close.. I could see either ranking as good to me.   

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

ourick76
ourick76
  • Predictions:  7,247  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  427
  • Post Score: 135

04.19.2011 | 12:20 PM ET

Tough to deny that statement, the only thing I would contend with is his utter lack of defending Sonnen's takedown and domination in that fight.  It definitely proves that the Spider has weakeness in his takedown defense.  Other that that, I think he is a ghost.

"I came here to do two things: drink some beer...and kick some ass...and I'm about out of beer!"

Kalibo
Kalibo

04.19.2011 | 12:27 PM ET

I think his weakness is wrestling as a whole, which envelopes TDD.  A few fighters have proved that point, but what makes Anderson "the best" is he always has an answer, whether in a good spot or a bad spot on his back.  He finds ways to win no matter the circumstances and is undefeated while in his prime against the best competition out there in two weight classes, not to mention he has fought from 170lbs on up.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.19.2011 | 12:35 PM ET

The GSP/Anderson superfight would give us a clear GOAT imo...I give the #1 fighter of all-time to Anderson in my rankings based on what he has done in his career until we get the superfight...9-0 in UFC title fights...14-0 in title fights in general....Where Fedor is 7-0 in title fights and GSP is 10-2 in title fights...Couture is 9-6 in title fights

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Haney vs Garcia preview and Ryan’s chances at the upset
  • Jits Magazine : Subversiv 10 Full Results And Review
  • Jits Magazine : Andorra And Brazil Bring Stellar AJP Tournaments To Their Territories
  • MMAFighting.com : New video shows Max Holloway’s instant backstage reaction after legendary Justin Gaethje knockout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Magomed By KO? Pereira ‘Doesn’t Have A Chin’
  • MMA Mania : Bellator Paris Fight Card, Rumors For Nurmagomedov vs. Shabliy
  • MMA Mania : New Title? McGregor Vs. Chandler ‘Should Be For A Belt’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 300 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Deiveson Figueiredo: 'I deserve to fight for the championship next' after UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Should Max Holloway go back to 145 or stay at 155 after BMF title win?
  • MMA Mania : Math! Harrison Proves ‘PFL Champions Can Beat Anyone’
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Calls For Interim Title Fight with Julianna Pena at UFC 303: ‘I Will Make Myself Available’
  • MMA Junkie : Judges Gonna Judge: Did Arman Tsarukyan deserve UFC 300 nod vs. Charles Oliveira?
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal explains frustration dealing with ‘diva’ Nate Diaz for boxing match
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Praised Max Holloway For Making Elite Fighters “Seem Normal,” Talks Alex Pereira’s Success Without Wrestling Skills
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Reacts To Max Holloway’s “F*cking Legendary” Knockout Win At UFC 300, Thinks Holloway Should Stay At Lightweight
  • MMA Junkie : Bo Nickal explains callout of Anthony Hernandez at UFC 300: 'I want to start fighting better guys'
  • Middle Easy : Former NFL Star Chad Ochocinco Promises to ‘Thump’ Max Holloway’s Chin in Proposed Sparring Session
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway brought back sparring for UFC 300, says fighting Justin Gaethje ‘like going through the gates of hell’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Iconic’ Holloway ‘Always Been That Good’