Topic: Other Combat Sports

Tapology Talks Boxing

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

09.08.2012 | 11:54 PM ET

I am surprised that no one has started this thread yet.

I know this is an MMA website but I bet that there are some Boxing Fans out there.

I just love the sport of fighting in general and I have been raised by boxing.

So in this Thread we can discuss the "Sweet Science"

such as
Past Fights
Upcoming Events
Favorite Fighters
and Historical Figures in the Sport

Because like MMA in the US, Boxing started out illegal. But where it took MMA less than 25 years to gain the General populations approval, It took boxing over 100 years.

Discuss and have fun.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

Responses Page 9

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.09.2012 | 1:44 PM ET

Here is a good reason why he should be in...^^^

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

10.09.2012 | 1:58 PM ET

@hd Honestly, has there ever been a fighter that put on as consistently exciting fights as Gatti? I mean 4X Fight of the Year winner, but there were other fights that he had that many believed were the runner up or should have won (such as the Wilson Rodriguez fight). But then again I also believe Micky Ward deserves a spot, so I think it depends on how people view the Hall. Should it be just for the best fighters of their era, or should it be partially about fame and accomplishments for the sport?

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

DV8ed Septum
DV8ed Septum
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  559
  • Post Score: 142

10.09.2012 | 2:02 PM ET

Gatti vs Ward 1, 2 ,and3 were all amazing fights.

Boxing can rival mma for me, but only when its done at a VERY high level, Friday night fights isn't cutting it for me anymore(btw, Teddy Atlas' autobiography "From the streets to the ring" is an amazing read for any fan of boxing/self introspection)

"Grrr."

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.09.2012 | 2:03 PM ET

Ward won't get in, at least not for a while. he was in 3 FOTY performances 2001, 2002, 2003, and with contribution with "The Fighter" and soon to be made "The Fighter Part II" he has made an impact on the sport.

but lets remember we still need to see, Oscar De La Hoya, Tito Trinidad, Joe Calzaghe, and maybe Diego Corrales before we see Micky.

DV8ed Septum
DV8ed Septum
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  559
  • Post Score: 142

10.09.2012 | 2:10 PM ET

Some of my favorite boxers are as follows from my era in no particular order
Kelly Pavlik
young Vernon Forrest rip
obviously Holyfield
Hector Camacho
& always liked Rid**** Bo

"Grrr."

zarog
zarog

10.09.2012 | 2:24 PM ET

@hd There's no doubt there are plenty of people deserving of it and I think there is only one that I dislike that you listed that leaves a bad taste in my mouth for being considered to go to the HoF. Joe Calzaghe may "deserve" it based on his record and accomplishments, bla bla bla....but the guy ducked opponents. He didn't fight Hopkins or RJJ until they were so far out of their prime that beating them didn't mean half of what it did 5 years before. I know he was undefeated and he's got a hell of a record, I just think he'll be remembered worse than Marciano. Undefeated in his era, but never fought the guys that could have solidified his legacy. 

Also this article is a good summation of the way I feel about Micky Ward.

* Edited at 10.09.2012, 2:32 PM ET *

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.09.2012 | 2:32 PM ET

I like Calzaghe and what he has done, but he deserves to get in, in a way you could say the same thing about Mayweather, but I will not go there. Now B-Hop and RJJ are guaranteed entries for the Hall of Fame, without a doubt. They could go in now if they were eligible. But do to timing and everything Calzaghe is the best that is eligible.

and he lost against B-Hop btw thats what I see

And with Vernon Forrest he should be in, that's for sure. and same for Holyfield.

And Rocky, is one of the best that is for dang sure. unfortunately he fought the only competition that was there, but he did amazing with his skills, granite chin and strong hands. I mean DAMN, strong

* Edited at 10.09.2012, 2:45 PM ET *

zarog
zarog

10.09.2012 | 3:54 PM ET

@hd No doubt all the things you said are true and Hopkins and RJJ will be first ballot HoFers when their respective careers end, but in what manner do you think Calzaghe will be remembered? At Super Middleweight he didn't fight Mundine, Bute, Andrade, Green, or Froch (instead he fought Manfredo and Bika, both of whom were consistently lower rated than the aforementioned fighters). When he finally moved up to LHW he fought the #1 rated Hopkins (who was still significantly diminished, although apparently not enough to be knocked off the top of the division at the time) and then instead of fighting somebody still rated top 3-5 in the division he fought a washed up RJJ. He passed over Glen Johnson, Antonio Tarver, and, most glaringly, Chad Dawson. Maybe it was about the money, I can't say for sure, but it's still unfortunate that he passed over all these fighters that were higher rated and harder fights. I don't have a problem with Calzaghe getting in the HoF, but I don't want him to be a first-ballot HoFer. It's the same with Mayweather and Pacquiao. They didn't fight the best opponents they could have (i.e. each other), therefore I don't want them getting the distinction of being a first-ballot HoFer. Make them wait until the second time they can be on the ballot because their accomplishments clearly deserve it, but their unwillingness to fight the absolute best opponent should damage their legacy.

As for Marciano, he fought who was available, but the quality of competition was so much lower in his years than in later ones. Most of the guys Marciano beat wouldn't have stood a chance against Floyd Patterson, Sonny Liston, and Muhammad Ali. Liston and Patterson were young up and comers when Marciano retired at the age of 32, so we'll never know how good Marciano really was. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were a bunch of reasons Marciano retired including a debilitating back problem, so I can't hold it against Marciano for retiring. He was a victim of being born too early and I can't hold it against him for not having fought better competition. Honestly, a fair fight would have been a catchweight bout at 180 lbs against Sugar Ray Robinson. That would have been an interesting fight. Two guys with incredible power and damn good chins.

* Edited at 10.09.2012, 4:29 PM ET *

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.09.2012 | 4:25 PM ET

valid points well taken.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.09.2012 | 5:25 PM ET

Here is a laugh

Chavez Jr says if he doesn't get rematch with Martinez he will move up to Super Middleweight & mentioned Andre Ward as a target

zarog
zarog

10.09.2012 | 6:51 PM ET

LOLOLOLOLOL! I guess JCC Jr. didn't get bad enough of an ass kicking from Martinez. Until the last round, Martinez beat the **** out of him; so what makes him think he's going to take on a faster, more agile, and more technically skilled boxer and walk away with a belt? Although, he's got to get through this whole suspension thing first, and Martinez has already stated he would be open to a rematch, so this statement is probably moot. Frankly, I'd pick JCC Jr. in a rematch because it's pretty clear he could take Martinez's best shot, but Martinez wasn't going to take JCC's best. Chavez was so reluctant in the early going that he put himself in such a big hole, but I don't think he'd do that a second time.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.09.2012 | 8:53 PM ET

Manny Pacquiao is doing Gangnam Style, your argument is invalid 

zarog
zarog

10.11.2012 | 12:07 AM ET

Just want to point out that this weekend has a semi-big fight in Rios vs. Alvarado. It's a battle of undefeated prospects that's sure to produce some good fireworks. They sport a combined 45 KOs in 66 bouts. In addition Nonito Donaire returns to fight for the SuperBantamweight Ring Magazine Title against Toshiaki Nishioka. These 2 bouts are a pretty good HBO card.

For more click here.

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.11.2012 | 12:12 AM ET

Donaire by KO for sure.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

10.11.2012 | 12:13 AM ET

While I generally can't get myself into boxing, Toshiaki Nishioka I've always found has good fights. I see his fights occasionally on MSG and they all have been pure badassery.

* Edited at 10.11.2012, 12:48 AM ET *

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

10.11.2012 | 12:15 AM ET

Swick we dont disagree often on boxing matches but this is one time we do.  Nishioka is a beast, not taking anything from Donaire, but I like nishioka in this scrap

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Swickotine
Swickotine

10.11.2012 | 12:19 AM ET

That's fine...to be honest I've only seen Donaire a few times, wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong. I love watching boxing but I'm not super up-to-date recently.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.11.2012 | 1:18 AM ET

thanks @zarog for the news.

I got Donaire and Rios FTW.

Donaire is the best Filipino out there that is not Manny Pacquiao. he is crazy fast and very strong.

his ko of Darchinyan was amazing.
so Donaire gets the nod for me

full fight.

6:25 if anyone is impatient 

Swickotine
Swickotine

10.11.2012 | 1:41 AM ET

^ It really was one of the hardest sounding/landed shots ever...as shown by the stretcher, Vic was hurt badly.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.14.2012 | 1:00 PM ET

Brandon Rios TKOs Mike Alvarado in the 7th round in a slug fest

and Nonito Donaire Flashes Toshiaki Nishioka in round 9 in a dominating fashion 
the fight was free on HBO so all is good

Page 9

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case