Topic: Other Combat Sports

Tapology Talks Boxing

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

09.08.2012 | 11:54 PM ET

I am surprised that no one has started this thread yet.

I know this is an MMA website but I bet that there are some Boxing Fans out there.

I just love the sport of fighting in general and I have been raised by boxing.

So in this Thread we can discuss the "Sweet Science"

such as
Past Fights
Upcoming Events
Favorite Fighters
and Historical Figures in the Sport

Because like MMA in the US, Boxing started out illegal. But where it took MMA less than 25 years to gain the General populations approval, It took boxing over 100 years.

Discuss and have fun.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

Responses Page 70

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

08.29.2018 | 8:15 PM ET

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

08.30.2018 | 5:14 AM ET

Yep.

Won't be missing this. No way, no how. Don;t give a **** what MMA card it runs into conflict with.

I think Canelo takes the rematch by decision, assuming he fought clean the first time. If he was dirty and isn't on whatever he was on for the rematch, then GGG will take it. Golovkin should have gotten the nod the first time around IMO, another Byrd robbery.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, and 18 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

08.31.2018 | 1:35 AM ET

Also, I'll be pulling for GG because Canelo is an egomaniacal PED ape and Golovkin is a cool, humble dude.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, and 18 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

10.10.2018 | 10:01 PM ET

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

10.10.2018 | 10:02 PM ET

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.17.2018 | 3:52 PM ET

Apparently Manny Pacquiao vs Adrien Broner is in the works for January 12th or 19th, 2019.

Your thoughts on this potential fight?

Past Prime Pac (39) coming off a decent win over Matthysse facing a faded stock of Broner, should be interesting an a definite test to see if the loser still continues to fight. Cause at this point with Crawford and Spence Jr ruling the roost, it will show if Broner (29) can ever "comeback" to being at the elite hype level he was at before Maidana (Name wise, a win over the legendary Pacquiao could read good for casuals). Where as Pacquiao is just looking for those good sized purses. 

At this point, even after the Draw that AB had with Jessie Vargas (imo Vargas won) Broner can basically can try to talk his way in whatever fight he can get and majority of people would still watch to see him lose. (In regards to the narrative that AB tries to push as the heel)

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

10.17.2018 | 6:20 PM ET

Broner is a very good  boxer who loses to to the elites and probably always will. Prime Pacquiao would have dismantled him effortlessly, but this won't be a prime pac fight. Manny struggled with Horn (I think he was ripped off, should have gotten the nod, especially considering all the fouls he was on the end of) and his legs are close to being shot. Broner will win by decision, and I won't care. It was good to see him get a finish against matthysse, but lucas has been around the block a few times and has was KO'ed fairly recently before the pac fight if memory serves. Broner isn't anywhere near as shopworn.

The pacman is just cashing cheques these days.That's fine, he's earned it. Pretty sure if Broner wins they will try and set up Bud vs Broner in the not too distant future. Pretty easy meal for Crawford. Broner will avoid ESJ like the plague, and I won't blame him. He'd get his head punched over the moon. That's not say Crawford can't don the same, but ESJ would be a violent career-ending murder.

* Edited at 10.17.2018, 6:38 PM ET *

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

10.17.2018 | 8:14 PM ET

Good points. And Matthysse has only been knocked out twice. Pacquiao and Postol in 2015 and in that fight he was outboxed immensely. To me Lucas has only lost to Garcia, Postol, and Pacquiao truly. With Alexander and Judah being the response of home-cooking (in my opinion). I'd still think he would give AB problems truly. He still has one of the highest KO percentages for a reason.

I see it turing out like the Maidana fight for AB honestly. Maidana's output was high and he is not as close to being as fast as Pac was and currently is (barely, but still a good amount quicker than Marcos). I could see this as an overwhelming assault in the middle rounds I'd say 4-5, and might get the finish in round 7-8. If AB does escape those rounds, I agree, he has a better chance of picking up a decision.

But then again, I am optimistic for a great Pacquiao resurgence, but much like a lot of boxing greats, father time is always undefeated, and if the fight goes ahead with the time, Pacquiao would be under 2 weeks until 40 years old and this would be his 70th fight. Got to be realistic with myself and know this fight will be closer than expect.

And true about Crawford and Spence Jr. Although, for both of them I would put my money on AB losing against them both.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

10.17.2018 | 10:42 PM ET

@Mexi Crawford and ESJ wwould both absolutely smoke Broner. But ESJ might kill him in the ring.

Also spence Jr vs Brooks was a beautiful fight, possibly the best of 2018 IMO.

* Edited at 10.17.2018, 11:05 PM ET *

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

11.28.2018 | 8:24 PM ET

Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury this Weekend!

One of the most anticipated Heavyweight Championship fights in recent memory. And it's about time that I finally got to say that. The Undefeated Lineal Heavyweight Champion Tyson Fury faces against Undefeated WBC Champion Deontay Wilder.

Fury looks to reclaim the title that he never lost after a 2 year absence. 200 pounds and 2 tune-up fights later, he steps in the ring against a hungry Undefeated Champion with a 97.5% Knockout Percentage.

Predictions and thoughts!

Ups for Tyson "The Gypsy King" Fury

Downs for Deontay "The Bronze Bomber" Wilder

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

11.28.2018 | 8:40 PM ET

I strongly doubt this fight reaches the judges score cards, and I doubt this will be a boring fight. Fury is too technical with timing and footwork, and Wilder shoots to kill when he sees his shot.

I see this fight ending in the middle rounds. Wilder in round 1 will come out guns blazing and fight hard and put Fury on the back foot. I would not be surprised if he actually drops Fury in round 1. Fury will weather the storm, and from round 2 on, it will be all Fury using his range and matador style of baiting and evading Wilder. One thing I see happening is a deceptive set up by Wilder. Wilder's past couple of fights (especially with Ortiz) shows that he is willing to work for a KO even if it means taking a few hits. An overhand right will cause a hard knock down to Fury much like it did against Steven Cunningham when they fought. Wilder is much more powerful than Cunningham so it might be good night if it lands flush, and Wilder will get that range by awkward lunging steps, where it looks like an overstep, but it sets up for a shot that Fury would not be able to see coming.

If Fury can truly endure after 8 rounds, I see Tyson winning on points. Tyson has not fought anyone with the length and power that Wilder holds, but if the sparring partners on twitter he posts show, he is adapting and readying for this. Not surprised.

Same with Wilder, Tyson is the tallest and more endured opponent. Ortiz was a great test that he passed and shut a lot of critics up. Out of all his opponents Ortiz probably has the most experience with boxing in my opinion. The decorated status with the Cuban team speak for itself.

Want Fury to win, his comeback story and journey is awe inspiring and is amazing.

Think Wilder will win, because of the power and ways to always find that spot in the most awkward of ways. Counter right hand over the top in round 6 or 7 win for Wilder.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

11.28.2018 | 8:55 PM ET

I'll be doing a live thread for Wilder vs Fury Mexi.

I don't Wilder can land the kitchen sink on Tyson, and he himself gets put away late, possibly the 9th after eating a lot of damage accrued evenly throughout the first through middle rounds.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

11.28.2018 | 9:41 PM ET

I'm actually really looking forward to this fight! Way more so than Canelo vs GGG. With this much weight and skill there's no possible way a crooked DEC happens. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 6 hours, and 33 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

11.28.2018 | 9:52 PM ET

@Bruce don't be too sure. Some of the shonky reffing I have seen over the years has completely taken my breath away. But yeah, won't be missing it. No huge ass  greasy promoters ( that's you Oscar) and sponsors tied to this one like GGG Canelo so this should make for cleaner adjudication.

* Edited at 11.28.2018, 9:57 PM ET *

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

11.28.2018 | 10:06 PM ET

Like yourself, i'm rooting for Fury. Win or Lose he earned himself a new fan when I saw him on JRE. His story is fantastic and I really hope he uses his spotlight to bring more attention to mental-health. 

I'm a fan of Wilder though as well. His KO highlight-reel is legendary and I've been randomly yelling out "BOMB SQUAD" all week lmfao. 

Again, I gotta agree with you @Fish. Not only do I think Wilder will struggle to land that sledgehammer but also if there's ANYBODY that could roll with that punch and survive, IMO its Fury. Can't wait to find out! 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 6 hours, and 33 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

11.28.2018 | 10:22 PM ET

https://twitter.com/i/status/1067891882196267008

Wilder is in trouble. Whole damn team is intimidated. 
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

11.28.2018 | 10:24 PM ET

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.28.2018 | 10:31 PM ET

Tyson fury next wbc champ!
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

11.28.2018 | 10:58 PM ET

@Bruce I've got nothing against Wilder either. He's actually a really decent human being. If he wins I'll be OK with it, and I like him a lot more than Joshua. But Fury winning would be a straight-up Cinderella story TBH and he's a real character with a good heart, so I hope he wins.

Pretty confident he will, more confident than I was that Canelo would win against Golovkin. Wilder does hit like train, but he's actually a pretty small HW ( more of a cruiser) and he's had a huge size and reach advantage over everyone he's sparked. Fury won't be giving either up, and he's very difficult to land on hard. I've actually never seen him eat a long overhand or outside hook. Like most unorthodox big lengthy dudes he struggles with good shell pocket fighters, A younger Ortiz would have beaten Wilder pretty handily IMO and would still give Fury problems even at his age until he ran out of steam.

I just don't see how Wilder lands that overhand right, and although nobody talks about his excellent short hooks I just don't see Fury being there for them. He's basically a better and more elusive version of Wilder minus one shot power.

And a  better boxer will beat a better puncher 9/10 times.

* Edited at 11.28.2018, 11:03 PM ET *

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

11.28.2018 | 11:05 PM ET

The way Fury moves at his size is almost unfathomable. MJ dunking from the free-throw line is one thing....a 6'8 300 pound man cutting angles and bouncing on his toes is just....plain scary. 

Page 70

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career