Topic: Other Combat Sports

Tapology Talks Boxing

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

09.08.2012 | 11:54 PM ET

I am surprised that no one has started this thread yet.

I know this is an MMA website but I bet that there are some Boxing Fans out there.

I just love the sport of fighting in general and I have been raised by boxing.

So in this Thread we can discuss the "Sweet Science"

such as
Past Fights
Upcoming Events
Favorite Fighters
and Historical Figures in the Sport

Because like MMA in the US, Boxing started out illegal. But where it took MMA less than 25 years to gain the General populations approval, It took boxing over 100 years.

Discuss and have fun.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

Responses Page 6

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

09.16.2012 | 12:24 AM ET

Wow...gotta give crazy props to both guys.

Sergio is a ******* MADMAN...he was getting rocked by a giant and he was standing in the pocket throwing bombs!

And JCC was getting battered for 11 rounds...and came out just absolutely swinging for the fences and almost replicated his father's epic 12th round comeback.

Unlike usual...great night for Boxing.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

09.16.2012 | 12:39 AM ET

the Canelo and Chavez fights went as I thought, and both were entertaining , and I was surprised at the end of the Chavez vs Martinez, that would've been a huge upset/comeback.

everyone was a warrior tonight, kudos to all the fighters.

and VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!!!

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

09.16.2012 | 12:59 AM ET

So, quick question, after tonight where does Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez go? Rematch with JCC Jr., or should he go back to 154 to fight one of the following: Floyd Mayweather, Miguel Cotto, or Canelo Alvarez? If Mayweather were willing I would love to see that sometime either in December or January. If not Mayweather, then I would probably prefer a rematch with JCC Jr.

For Canelo, who do you want to see him fight next? Personally, I don't think Canelo is ready for Cotto or Mayweather, nor do I think he should take a fight against Martinez if it were offered. I think a good opponent would be either Erislandy Lara (17-1-1) or Carlos Molina (20-5-2). Set it up for mid-December and so that if Canelo wins, he would be on track to return against the loser of Trout/Cotto. Canelo's so young that I would be wary of putting him in with someone like Cotto too early, so that's why I think he would need the Lara or Molina fight before fighting the loser of Trout/Cotto.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 1:15 AM ET

This was free on Shotime so it is all good here.

Great Job for Canelo, really showed how good he is.

AND THE BEST OUT THERE, SERGIO THE MONSTER

did great and made it a fun fight.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 1:17 AM ET

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 1:27 AM ET

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 2:35 AM ET

the numbers do not lie

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

09.16.2012 | 4:23 AM ET

So we're apparently heading for pacquiao/marquez IV and ex england cricket captain Andrew Flintoff is apparently venturing into boxing.

In regards to the first part; what happened to the Bradley rematch?

As for the second; I'm unsure what to think. One one hand, Freddie is pretty old to be starting a boxing career. On the other, if there's one person I'd enjoy watching get punched in the head its Andrew freaking Flintoff.

lol

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 8:30 AM ET

in my opinion the Pacquiao team and the rest the world knows that he won his fight with Bradley, so they feel what is the point in rematching.

but what i want is a rematch and a quick ko for Pac to Prove that the decision was a fluke 

zarog
zarog

09.16.2012 | 12:25 PM ET

@SRA It's about money. Plain and simple. Pacquiao/Marquez III drew 1.45 million buys while Pacquiao/Bradley drew 700,000. Easy decision when double the money is on the table.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

09.16.2012 | 12:36 PM ET

I was really hoping for JCC Jr. to win but congrats to Martinez nonetheless.

"الله أكبرl"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 2:11 PM ET

@Zarog I don't know about an Easy decision, because the last fight was very close to a draw. But it should be a good fight, just like their other 3 were.

In my mind in all 3 of there fights I honestly had them all a draw.

zarog
zarog

09.16.2012 | 2:24 PM ET

@HD I'm talking about a money decision though. Pacquiao's been talking about retiring and becoming a full-time politician. Need massive amounts of money to run campaigns and Bradley wasn't going to give him that money. From a fighter's legacy perspective, it's a much tougher thing, frankly, the choice probably should have been to take out Bradley in a rematch.

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

09.16.2012 | 3:31 PM ET

Fair point zarog. Makes sense.

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 3:36 PM ET

ohh ok. makes perfect sense, because in the sport of boxing nowadays Millions upon millions of dollars are on the line. and this fight now makes the most for both of them. 

Since Manny and his ******** lose to Bradley, that completely threw away the biggest payday in boxing history against Mayweather, and now we can never see that fight.

so this is the next biggest payday.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 3:39 PM ET

and also a fun fact, on the Shotime fight card Oscar De La Hoya did in a effort to give everyone a will to win, gave out $25,000 to the winners of the fights as a winner bonuses. and Fight of the Night Bonuses. 

It looks like Oscar is making a step in the right direction for boxing promotions 

zarog
zarog

09.16.2012 | 4:41 PM ET

Yes, Golden Boy is moving in the right direction. De La Hoya, Tyson, and Roy Jones have all said for a couple years now that boxing could take some lessons from the UFC. From fight bonuses, like last night the best KO (voted for by the fans) got an extra $100k. Then for the live atmosphere, adding arena music to add to the live experience.

Roy Jones has some other ideas. Go to 7:22 for when he starts talking about fixing boxing.

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

09.16.2012 | 5:51 PM ET

For a long time, I quit watching boxing, but I've been watching some boxing matches here and there again, and the boxing matches that were on Showtime last night were far more exciting than the BAMMA MMA fights on axsTV.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

09.16.2012 | 7:57 PM ET

After hearing what Roy Jones Jr said about what needs to change for boxing, what do you guys think are the main 3 things that need to change to get boxing back to the mainstream popularity? 

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

09.17.2012 | 7:21 PM ET

Round 4!!!!

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : UFC Makes Highly Anticipated Return To Manchester On July 27 With UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’