Topic: Other Combat Sports

Tapology Talks Boxing

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

09.08.2012 | 11:54 PM ET

I am surprised that no one has started this thread yet.

I know this is an MMA website but I bet that there are some Boxing Fans out there.

I just love the sport of fighting in general and I have been raised by boxing.

So in this Thread we can discuss the "Sweet Science"

such as
Past Fights
Upcoming Events
Favorite Fighters
and Historical Figures in the Sport

Because like MMA in the US, Boxing started out illegal. But where it took MMA less than 25 years to gain the General populations approval, It took boxing over 100 years.

Discuss and have fun.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

Responses Page 52

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

04.26.2015 | 12:10 AM ET

Apparently Klitschko/Jennings was relatively boring. Jennings was apparently a tougher out than Klitschko has had in recent years. 

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

04.28.2015 | 7:47 PM ET

Well folks, the time is upon us. It is officially fight week for a fight that many seemed to think was only a myth or a dream. Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao will face Floyd "Money" Mayweather in the Dream Match that the world has been waiting for.

My question to you is not only who wins this fight and when, it is what will the impact be after this fight takes place, and will it live up to its potential and hype? Will you be watching? Where will you see it?

Discuss.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

04.28.2015 | 7:48 PM ET

The Tapology Voting Poll

Ups for Floyd Mayweather

Downs for Manny Pacquiao 

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.28.2015 | 10:16 PM ET

Floyd won't be extending himself like that against Manny. If he does, he'll be eaten alive. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

zarog
zarog

04.29.2015 | 1:30 AM ET

Floyd gets on his bicycle and turns this into a track meet. He keeps from getting hit and manages to win a boring decision. That's my guess.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

04.29.2015 | 9:58 PM ET

@zarog I don't think so. Manny has the hand speed to hit Floyd. Manny stays insanely active throughout every fight he's in and if Floyd fights like he normally does he will be behind on points early. Floyd will be forced to throw more then he ever has and Manny will take a punch to give one or three! I truly believe Manny can KO Floyd in the later rounds.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

04.29.2015 | 10:08 PM ET

@goat the thing i see Floyd doing is tieing Manny up slowing things down and looking to land his right hand counter sort of like Marquez just with a lot less power.  
p4pgoat
p4pgoat

04.29.2015 | 10:14 PM ET

@nog I agree with you. Floyd is going to try and slow Manny down by tying him up but I think that will only work for so long. Manny is not going to let Floyd breathe. Freddie Roach said a long time ago that when you fight a guy who's very quick and counter punches (describes Floyd to a T) that you must force him to fight in a phone booth. Maidana tried and had some success with that he just didn't know how to keep Floyd in that phone booth for long. Manny will put on a clinic on cutting the ring off and punishing a woman beater.

zarog
zarog

04.29.2015 | 11:04 PM ET

@p4p I don't think the analysis of the Maidana fight is correct. The ref, Kenny Bayless (who is also reffing Pacman/Mayweather), bailed Mayweather out in the second fight. Every time the clinch was initiated Bayless immediately separated them, forcing Maidana to do all the work to get on the inside all over again. 

In addition, Manny's good at cutting angles in the open ring, he's not good at cutting off the ring to his opponent. Also, the ring is not going to favor Manny as I'm sure Mayweather again has asked for a 26 ft. ring (fricking ridiculous if you ask me). 

I could be wrong, but I see this fight coming down in large part to effective body punching early. In this particular matchup, Floyd probably is able to land his stiff body jab more often than Pacquiao can get his low-high combos going. Plus, this may just be me, but in the last few Pacquiao fights I've noticed he essentially gives two rounds between the 6th & the 10th to his opponents to take breather. Against inferior fighters, it didn't effect the outcome. Against Floyd, that's not going to work. Punching output needs to be very high every round or Pacquiao will lose.

p4pgoat
p4pgoat

05.02.2015 | 2:36 PM ET

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,779
  • Post Score: 273

05.02.2015 | 2:51 PM ET

I'm ignorant to the situation of Manny not wanting to do blood testing. Can anyone enlighten me on the situation? In the HBO countdown they say he refused to do a blood test before the fight and that is why it fell through the first time. 

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

05.02.2015 | 2:58 PM ET

Basically, Pacquiao claims that he thought taking a blood test within 30 days of the fight would weaken him, so his idea was that he would take a test before the 30 day window and immediately after the fight. Then Freddie Roach said that he didn't want Pacquiao to draw blood within one-week of the fight, so Mayweather agreed to a 14-day window, but Pacquiao also declined that and fired back with a 24-day window, which Mayweather did not like. 

* Edited at 05.02.2015, 2:58 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Stay Ready
Stay Ready
  • Predictions:  3,011  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  434

05.02.2015 | 3:06 PM ET

This article breaks this fight down accurately,

http://news.yahoo.com/column-mayweather-pacquiao-nothing-more-epic-scam-230714969.html

Can't say that I disagree; the outcome of this fight couldn't be more obvious. It will be another one-sided, boring Floyd performance and I'm having a hard time getting excited about it.

I feel bad for the suckers paying $100 for this. Is it really worth it just because it's Manny? Manny hasn't look good since when, 2009?

* Edited at 05.02.2015, 3:07 PM ET *

"UFN 68 | 06.06.2015 | WIN | CthulhuJenner & Pinkhornet | Submission (Verbal)"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,779
  • Post Score: 273

05.02.2015 | 3:10 PM ET

Thank you @Mike

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325

05.02.2015 | 7:25 PM ET

I know that Mayweather vs Pacquiao is the boxing fight that is getting the most notoriety, but what do you guys think about a potential Deontay Wilder vs Wladimir Klitschko fight?  I'm personally really interested in seeing this fight, because I think Deontay has an actual chance of beating Klitschko.

"..."

zarog
zarog

05.02.2015 | 7:52 PM ET

Klitschko looked beatable against Jennings. Wilder has a chance. So does Fury. I give Wilder a better chance. Either way, Klitschko needs to face one of those two guys next. If he wins, he needs to fight the other guy. Unfortunately, this is boxing, and all the sanctioning bodies are big ****ing, so I don't see the Wilder fight happening until 1st quarter of 2016 at the very earliest. I expect either Fury or Glazkov to be the next challenger (hopefully Fury). However, the WBA could screw this up and try to get Klitschko to face Chagaev (though I doubt this will happen). 

Wilder/Klitschko is the best fight that can be made at HW, but I still give Wilder about a 25% chance of winning. That's mainly due to Klitschko's poor performance against Jennings, but it's also a little bit about Wilder being young, athletic, ridiculous punching power, and being really long.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484

05.03.2015 | 9:25 AM ET

Klitschko has looked off lately, but I still think he would beat Wilder and Fury decisively. He'd out-point them like he always does. I give Wilder much more of a chance.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

05.04.2015 | 12:09 PM ET

Here is my opinion about the event that occurred on May 2nd.

Overall as a fight that "The World wanted to see" the expectations behind the event were grand. Mayweather did pull off the UD victory and honestly we all seemed to see that coming in one way or another. But while I was at the viewing party, I turned around to see the crowd watching. Upon them watching "The Fight of the Century" most of them were nodding off due to the casual nature to how they watch boxing. Now as a boxing fan as well as practitioner of the sport, I hate to see something I love get drawn down in people's eyes. Some people I knew just wanted to see the fight because they have heard everyone else talk about it. To some people, this was their first PPV fight they have seen.

Sure Mayweather displayed proper "Hit and Don't get hit style" but compared to the people who can stand in the pocket, trade punches, and then step back or use their head movement to avoid getting hit, i.e. early Muhammad Ali. It was a very poor showing of entertainment for the fans. He won, clearly. As a huge PacFan, I know he did. But the way that he did was bad for the sport of boxing in general. My meaning is that to the die hards that will watch it and enjoy the best of certain situations it was fine. But compared to the casuals who wanted to be entertained, this fight might have just have left that bad taste in their mouth that could deter them from the sport all together. 

"Hey man want to watch some boxing?"
"No man, It was boring the last time I saw it. I didn't like it at all"

That is the thing that what I really dislike, when a big enough event, ruins an experience for everybody. The fight grossed huge money, and Mayweather has about 200 Million reasons why he should not care about my opinion. But overall, when he retires, I will not miss him in the sport. Sure the "Undefeated" argument will get tossed around a lot, along with the "Dumb Pactard" stuff as well. But I pay for his PPV on more than one occasion, and yet I displayed the key definition of insanity. "Doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result." So shame on me for that. 

Needless to say, I dislike Mayweather's style in general. I appreciate that he mastered it and has shown that he is very knowledgeable in his adjustments and such. But nothing about "Leaning back" and putting the weight on your back foot so when you fire your straight right, it is quick and stings, followed by moving around the Large as ring to avoid skirmishes while keeping your opponent moving so they can't plant their feet to hit you, and finally if you do trade for the 2 punches that you throw immediately clinch so you can get separated by the ref and then repeat the steps. None of that defines the mindset of "Being entertaining." 

That is the reason I like Pacquiao's style, he is quick, powerful, and takes big risks. Very crowd pleasing. Sure he has lost now 6 fights. But those loses had more entertainment than some of Floyd's wins.

Overall, the real loser is not only Manny, but it is the sport of boxing in the eyes of the public. Because these two colossal figures in the sport finally fought, but the result was not as people hoped. Many wished for the Hagler vs Hearns Result of the two best fighters finally facing each other and both trying to show how tough they are. Pacquiao did try and fight him like that and he is "The People's Champion" in my eyes, and the world needs more boxers like him, or Arturo Gatti, or Diego Corrales, or a Oscar De La Hoya. You might be thinking, "hey why did you pick the fighters that Floyd actually beat, for your argument?" I picked them to show this point. I would rather see those fighters fight anyone, any day, anywhere, win, lose, or draw. I would watch that instead of watching Floyd doing what he does best.

To conclude my long rant, I don't know where these fighters go to now. Amir Khan, Marquez again, Cotto, GGG? I don't know. The money will drop HUGELY compared to May 2nd, that is a given. But the impact of what happened will carry over to the next fight. If there is a rematch, than ok. If Pacquiao was injured on fight day, than ok. Just make the ring a 20 footer not 26, have a different ref, and have it NOT in Vegas. It will not reach the first fight in regards to numbers, or popularity, and money. But it will demonstrate that it is the people that the sport caters for. 

To quote Oscar De La Hoya "Call me old school but I like the fans getting their money's worth by watching an action packed fight."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

05.06.2015 | 2:41 AM ET

@zarog and @MikeLovesTacosXD;  Do you guys think that if Wladimir Klitschko were to lose his title to Fury or Wilder, that Boxing's Heavyweight division would receive a much needed boost in it's popularity that has been lacking (at least in the United States and Canada) since Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis retired?

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

05.06.2015 | 2:51 AM ET

Looks like Deontay Wilder is going to get his first test as WBC Heavyweight Champion when he faces Eric Molina in June, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN via Boxing News 24.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/05/deotay-wilder-vs-eric-molina-possible-for-june/

"..."

Page 52

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA, boxing and bareknuckle action April 25-27
  • MMAFighting.com : Roundtable: Is BKFC Mike Perry one of the 10 biggest draws in combat sports?
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let’s Go, Colby!’
  • MMA Junkie : PFL MENA 1 lineup announced
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Will Jose Ramirez and Vergil Ortiz Jr shine on Saturday?
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Almost Had ‘Scarface’ Vs. ‘Dominator’
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Zubaira Tukhugov reveals Khabib Nurmagomedov was ‘going to rip contract up’ if he didn’t fight at UFC 242
  • MMA Mania : Meet PFL’s Latest Flyweight Signing, Melissa Balic!
  • Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Abdul-Kareem Al Sewady And Amin Youb Join The Main Card In A Welterweight Bout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull