Topic: Top Welterweights - 170 lbs.

Top Welterweights

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

RockZ
RockZ
  • Predictions:  242  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  457
  • Post Score: 137

07.16.2012 | 6:52 PM ET

1. Layoff will tell us quite a lot.
2. Has proven himself to be #2
3. Don't see anyone else who deserves #3 more; I think he will beat Hitman
4. Very close to Ellenberger; needs to work on avoiding shots
5. Very close to Kampmann
6. Similar to Hendricks but with a little less power, slightly less solid chin
7. I think he deserves this spot; since '08, has finished Kampmann, Gouveia, Maia, Palhares and Woodley,      decisioned Miller, and lost decisions to Okami and Sonnen.
8. Definitely want to see more of Ares; can go places; I think he will beat Penn
9. Not much better than Sields imo, but still in the mix, just not for a title
10. Wasn't going to put Sanchez, and Silva did make quick work of Prater (NC, though) and Brenneman; can go places

Note: Not including Diaz due to no return 'till February at the least. Sanchez fights hard and is tough, but I don't see him as top 10 material, though he is close. No way I'm putting Askren.

"Sure the fight was fixed. I fixed it with a right hand. - George Foreman"

Responses

RockZ
RockZ
  • Predictions:  242  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  457
  • Post Score: 137

07.16.2012 | 10:27 PM ET

Oh and Bahadurzada, Pierce, Story and Hatheway are getting better. Very interested in these guys. Alves is not consistent enough and needs to work on grappling. Shields is still close.

"Sure the fight was fixed. I fixed it with a right hand. - George Foreman"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

07.17.2012 | 4:13 AM ET

It's way too early to rank Erick Silva in the Top 10.  And I don't see Hendricks beating Kampmann, Ellenberger or MacDonald, either.  And he will never beat Jon Fitch again, either.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

MMA4LIFE00
MMA4LIFE00
  • Predictions:  14,692  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  648
  • Post Score: 66

07.17.2012 | 4:18 AM ET

Jmad
Jmad
  • Predictions:  885  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  126
  • Post Score: 106

07.17.2012 | 4:29 AM ET

Where is Nick Diaz? Is he not included because of the suspension or is he not in ur top ten?

"'I'm going to beat you to a living death." -Ken Shamrock on Tito"

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

07.17.2012 | 4:53 AM ET

Didn't Condit beat Diaz?

"I Get Better."

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

07.17.2012 | 5:08 AM ET

Shields? SHIELDS? SHIIIEEELDSS???

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

07.17.2012 | 5:25 AM ET

@Bill    whether Hendricks "will" or will not beat fitch again he still did so should he not still be ranked over Fitch until they atleast fight again?

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

07.17.2012 | 9:41 AM ET

@putaforkinya  Well, according to most members here, he is.  But I rank according to career, for the most part.  For some members here to omit Jon Fitch based on 1 SINGLE FIGHT is obscene and criminal.

It also speaks to their sense of fair play.  Fitch was universally ranked #2 until he got caught by Hendricks, and now is omitted from the Top 10????  I DON"T THINK SO!

Hendricks could barely handle Kos, and yet, some feel he should go #3.  Unfathomable.  The house clearly dislikes Fitch due to his style, and were only waiting for any excuse to either drop him out of the Top 10 or dump him entirely.

I just don't get it.  My own listing is obviously out of date.  I must put BJ back in there.  I wasn't sure if he was coming back.

To rank Hendricks over Fitch until they fight again, would be like having ranked Serra over GSP until they fought again, ignoring their past fight history.  Career history should still count for something, and it still does with thoughtful rankers.

* Edited at 07.17.2012, 9:43 AM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

07.17.2012 | 9:51 AM ET

If Kos all but drew with Hendricks, and many felt he beat him, how can there be several fighters in-between them?  

Would not logic suggest that even though the refs gave a controversial decision to Hendricks, that Kos' vastly superior past fight history should rank him above Hendricks?  Were is the overall balance?  Where is the big picture?

Many insist Kos beat Hendricks due to controlling him on the ground and that last take-down.  So, how can there be several people separating them on some people's lists?  

* Edited at 07.17.2012, 9:51 AM ET *

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.17.2012 | 10:51 AM ET

I'm leaving Nick Diaz in mine until he's actually had a year of inactivity, and I'll leave Shields at 170 as well until the week of his Ed Herman fight.
AnAlias
AnAlias

07.17.2012 | 10:55 AM ET

Bill Burgess....I like your inclusion of Hathaway.  He'd be in my 10 spot if I removed Diaz and Shields.  His last couple of fights have been a bit lackluster, but his overall record is very impressive.  I expect he'll be competing for the title in a couple of years.

* Edited at 07.17.2012, 10:55 AM ET *

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

07.17.2012 | 11:18 AM ET

I disagree strongly with Nate being in the 10 spot with a single win at welter weight against a guy who not in the top 10. I dont understand how beating Woodly makes nate a top 10 welter weight. Woodly not that good. He decent but loves to lay and pray.  I think there number of guys more deserving of the spot then nate.

"here I come to save the day"

AnAlias
AnAlias

07.17.2012 | 11:34 AM ET

I considered Woodley to be a top 15 guy.  Top 20 at worst.  Considering Nate's overall accomplishments, combined with how he finished it, and the fact that he's now the Strikeforce champ, I think number 10 is reasonable.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

07.17.2012 | 12:56 PM ET

It not reasonable at all when you exclude people like alves, sanchez ect. And put Nate who prior to that fight was on a 2 fight losing streak.  And only has a single win at welter weight against a top 20 opponent? I am sorry but that is an absurd reach. There one thing to think he will become top 10, it another thing to place him in there over a single win against Woodly who dropped him twice.......... Woodly the same guy who had to lay and pray a number of opponents who were far cry from top 10. In the most stacked division in the world no less. There is no way in hell a single win over woodly should even be argued that nate should be rank in the top 10 over people like alves.

Also notice that Franklin is not ranked in your top 10 middle weights which I find amusing givng your reasoning for nate being top 10 welter weight. because Franklin has actually dominated at middle weight losing to only anderson.  His last win was victory over wanderlie>woodly in a weaker division no less. But some how Nate who was never a UFC champnion and only has a single victory at welter weight is ranked in the top 10.......does not add up at all

You must like nate a lot

* Edited at 07.17.2012, 12:58 PM ET *

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

07.17.2012 | 1:00 PM ET

Nate was not on a two-fight losing streak. Before the Woodley win he was coming off a UD win over Dan Miller at 185 in the UFC. Before the Miller win, he lost a Decision to Okami, and before that he KO'd Palhares in the first round. In fact, Nate has never lost 2 fights in a row in his entire career. 

Besides that, you have to understand that not everyone makes their rankings based on MMA Math, but rather on who, skill-wise, they think the top ten in any given division are, or a combination of who they've actually beaten in the division and how good they think the fighter is compared to the others. He may not have the accomplishments of Thiago Alves or Diego Sanchez at 170, but he would probably destroy Sanchez and would likely be a solid favorite over Alves. 

* Edited at 07.17.2012, 1:03 PM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

07.17.2012 | 1:18 PM ET

Well said as usual @skelliher

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

07.17.2012 | 1:53 PM ET

You are correct about the two fight losing streak, I completely dropped the ball on that one. For that i apologies.  However still think it pretty big stretch to put a guy with a single win at wlter weight in the top 10 when it was not even against a guy remotely close to being a top 10 welter weight.  Could nate be a top 10 welter weight? deff. Does he deserve to be ranked there after beating woodly? hells no.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

07.17.2012 | 1:55 PM ET

I don't think you're necessarily wrong. After all, Nate's not in my top ten because of exactly what you're saying, but all I'm saying is not everyone does their rankings by who someone has beaten in a given weight class, but rather how good they think they are compared to the other guys in that class. If I remade my rankings with my own opinion of Marquardt in mind compared to the top ten, I'd have him beating more than a few of the guys in my top ten. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

07.17.2012 | 1:55 PM ET

Also I dont think my rankings are accurate at all, I deff need to change them. Can't believe I still have BJ Penn in the top ten welter weights.

AnAlias
AnAlias

07.17.2012 | 4:40 PM ET

Well it seems I got here late, as skelliher has already given a great response, but I'll give my 2 cents anyway.

Franklin880088...As skelliher pointed out, Nate was not on a 2 fight losing streak.  He was still a top contender at 185 when he decided to drop down. 

Alves, while I'm a big fan, has been pretty inconsistent in the last couple of years.  He's only won 2 of his last 6, and those 2 wins were against Abedi and Howard, both of whom were far lower ranked than Woodley. 

Diego, I have just outside the top 10, though he really should be on a 2 fight losing streak right now with that gift decision against Kampmann (who Nate stopped in the first round), and that fight he dropped to Hathaway wasn't that long ago.  His win over Paulo was impressive, but Paulo has also fallen off a bit lately. 

As far as Franklin goes, I still rank him at LHW (or I would if Tapology still had him available there.)  His last fight was at 190, which is still technically within the light heavyweight class.  I'll add him at middleweight once he makes his official return.

I'm honestly not even a big fan of Marquardt.  He's a great fighter, but kind of a bland personality.  I just think winning one of Zuffa's titles against a solid opponent (whether he has a reputation of being boring or not), in the fashion that he did warrants a high ranking.  I've only got him at number 10 mind you.  It's not like I threw him into the top 5.  

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Why Michael Chandler believes he could 'absolutely outclass' Conor McGregor at UFC 303
  • Bad Left Hook : Lopez vs Leo in the works for Aug. 10
  • Bad Left Hook : Luis Alberto Lopez vs Angelo Leo in the works for Aug. 10
  • Middle Easy : Michael Chandler Opens Up About Doubting Himself After Being Inactive For Too Long, Reveals Gameplan Against Conor McGregor
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Who should Max Holloway fight next after spectacular UFC 300 knockout?
  • MMA Junkie : PFL's Derek Anderson shares graphic injury photo after alleged hit-and-run, out of Cedric Doumbe fight
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | What’s Next For Jamahal Hill, Boxer Anthony Sims Jr. Talks What UFC Gets Right
  • MMAFighting.com : Derek Anderson out of Cedric Doumbe fight after suffering gruesome foot injury
  • Bad Left Hook : Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe rematch official for June 15 in London
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen rejects Daniel Cormier's idea of Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler for UFC 165-pound title
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean Strickland’s head coach explains what he could’ve done better vs. Dricus du Plessis, previews Paulo Costa bout
  • Middle Easy : Justin Gaethje Reflects On His UFC 300 KO Loss To Max Holloway, ‘Ready’ For Return After 6 Months
  • MMA Mania : MMA Fighter Kicks Ring Girl, Gets Jumped By Angry Mob
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway’s point-to-the-canvas UFC 300 moment was deja vu for Ricardo Lamas
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 1
  • MMA Mania : Feet Are Not Supposed To Bend This Way
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry believes a bare-knuckle fight with Conor McGregor really could happen: ‘Conor’s a real one’
  • Jits Magazine : Midwest Finishers 18 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Junkie : Shawne Merriman launches Lights Out Sports app, touts 'milestone' for MMA promotion
  • MMA Mania : Mac’s Skills ‘Not What They Used To Be’ After Layoff