Topic: Bisping vs. Stann

Bisping vs. Stann

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,554  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

07.14.2012 | 3:53 AM ET

Prediction: correct Bisping   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Bisping vs. Stann. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

07.14.2012 | 3:53 AM ET

Prediction: correct Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

WAR BISPING!!!

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

07.14.2012 | 4:18 AM ET

It's time to do a 10-Point breakdown on this one.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

07.14.2012 | 4:25 AM ET

Spitping UD

"@AndySalasMMA"

Swickotine
Swickotine

07.14.2012 | 4:38 AM ET

Here's an awesome Drunk Bisping Promo on Stann...

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

07.14.2012 | 5:13 AM ET

Bisping's gonna wear him down and grind him to a T/KO.
WAR BISPING!

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

jaykool777
jaykool777

07.14.2012 | 5:38 AM ET

10-Point Breakdown

1. Mental Edge/Confidence/Gameplan - When it comes to mental edge, it's really hard to say who really has the advantage here. Bisping has been known to be a cerebral assassin in the past, and can get into his opponent's head, but Brian Stann is very hard to break mentally. For both fighters, this fight is a huge step towards getting themselves into the already competitive MW title picture. This will come down to who is really more mentally ready for such a fight. Stann is coming off of a very dominate TKO victory over UFC veteran Alessio Sakara, but his fight prior to that he was dominated by Chael Sonnen. Bisping's last fight was hard fought decision loss to Chael Sonnen, but Bisping honestly believes that he won the fight against Sonnen. Bisping and Stann are both very confident that they are the better fighter in comparison to their opponent, so confidence is about even for both fighters. What this area all comes down do is gameplan. Who's better at coming up with a gameplan to defeat their opponent, and who is better at executing said gameplan. I honestly believe that Bisping is a touch better at coming up with a gameplan and executing. With this in mind, I give a very slight edge to Bisping in this area. Bisping - 9/10, Stann - 8/10

2. Experience/Level Of Opposition - Both fighters have 4 losses, Bisping has 26 total fights, and Stann has 16 total fights. The Count has faced some very tough opposition in Rashad Evans, Chris Leben, Dan Henderson, Dennis Kang, Wanderlei Silva, Jason Miller, and Chael Sonnen. Stann has faced tough opposition as well such as Phil Davis, Chris Leben, and Chael Sonnen. Truth be told, Bisping has more fights, and has faced the better opposition. Advantage Bisping. Bisping - 9/10, Stann - 7/10

3. Heart/Determination To Win - Both fighters IMHO have been hot and cold in this area. Both have comeback in fights to win, and at other times they have wilted under extreme pressure. We saw Brian Stann overcome adversity in his fight with Mike Massenzio, and we saw him faulter in his 2nd fight with Steve Cantwell, his bout with Phil Davis, and his loss to Chael Sonnen. Bisping fought with a lot of heart in his fights with Chris Leben, his loss to Rashad Evans, his loss to Wandy, and overcame a very tough first round where he was almost finished by Dennis Kang, but then came back in the 2nd round to win the fight. The only time I've really seen Bisping fight scared, or seemed out of sorts in this category, was when he fought Dan Henderson. With this all in mind, I have to give a slight edge to Bisping. Bisping - 8/10, Stann - 7/10

4. Endurance/Toughness - Being that Brian Stann is a marine and war hero there is no question on his ability to take punishment. Bisping has been known be a tough fighter himself. In his fights against Chris Leben and Matt Hamill, Bisping showed that it's not always possible to put him away with one punch. Dan Henderson proved otherwise, but then again, Hendo has also finished Wandy, Babalu, Rafael Feijo, and Fedor with one punch. As well as outside the cage, inside the cage Stann has proven to be a very tough fighter himself. He showed this in his fight with Chris Leben. Like Bisping, Stann has only been finished by KO/TKO once in his career. With all this in mind, I have to give a slight nod to Brian Stann. Bisping - 8/10, Stann - 9/10

5. Stamina/Cardio - There is no doubt in my mind that Bisping has the clear cut advantage here. After training with Tito Ortiz on TUF 3 Michael Bisping changed his whole training regiment, and focused a whole lot more than what he did prior on his cardio. I've never really seen Stann fade in a fight too considerably, but if I had to pick a fighter who could outlast the other in this department, I would go with Michael Bisping. Bisping - 10/10, Stann - 9/10

6. Overall Striking - Michael Bisping has technique, movement, and speed, while Brian Stann has power, aggression, and the ability to end a fight in one punch. Stann is definitely a much more versatile striker than what he was in the WEC, but when the fight isn't going his way, Stann has a tendency to become a predictable striker. The big question here is, what's more effective? The ability to end a fight with one punch, or having the technique and movement. On the feet I think that Bisping can outpoint Stann, but all it takes is one mistake by Bisping, and Stann can capitalize and finish Bisping. I personally think that the advantage lies where who you think could end the fight on the feet, and I think that Brian Stann is the man for that. Advantage Brian Stann. Bisping - 8/10, Stann - 9/10

7. Overall Wrestling/Grappling - Neither fighter is really known for being accomplised wrestlers, but both possess very good wrestling and grappling skills in their arsenals. Neither one of them is an olympic caliber wrestler like Chael Sonnen or a champion collegiate wrestler like Cain Velasquez, but in comparison to a lot of fighters at 185, I would both fighters in the top 10, top 15 for sure. The question here is, who is the better wrestler/grappler between the two? Both fighters have a pretty good takedown defense, and have utilized wrestling to gain the upper-hand or win certain fights, to where as both have been outwrestled in the past. I think that Bisping has the better technique, but Stann has more power, and the ability to really push someone around or up against the cage. Maybe you guys could help me out on this area, because for myself, I'm going to call this area even for now. Bisping - 8/10, Stann - 8/10

8. Overall Submissions/BJJ - Both fighters have a good submission arsenal, but Stann has been finished by submission twice in his career. Bisping has never been finished by submission, and I could be wrong here, but I don't think I've ever seen him even close to getting finished by a submission. With that said, I have to give the advantage here to Bisping. Bisping - 9/10, Stann - 8/10

9. Size/Strength - Both fighters have to cut weight to make 185, but Brian Stann is a bigger MW IMO. When it comes to strength, I have to give the nod to Stann as well. Bisping - 8/10, Stann - 10/10

10. Speed/Athleticism - Got to give this one to Bisping here. Bisping - 10/10, Stann - 8/10

Overall Score = Michael "The Count" Bisping - 87/100, "The All-American" Brain Stann - 83/100

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Swickotine
Swickotine

07.14.2012 | 5:57 AM ET

^ Tremendous job Jay.

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,805  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

07.14.2012 | 8:28 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Stann   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Uhh good fight, I don't know what way to go yet Bisping via dec. or Stann via ko probably.

@Jaykool nice breakdown, I hope they make Belcher vs. Weidman now (trollface)

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

johmal2
johmal2
  • Predictions:  159  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  102
  • Post Score: 66

07.14.2012 | 8:58 AM ET

dominates stann
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

07.14.2012 | 9:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Bisping wins.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Dodgey
Dodgey
  • Predictions:  5,791  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  674
  • Post Score: 271

07.14.2012 | 9:21 AM ET

I'm thinking this will be Bisping's 3rd TKO in a row (in terms of victories). I like in Swickotine's video how Micheal said "I know a thing or two about illegal knees"....he sure does. IMO Bisping is on the cusp of a fantastic win streak......depending on when he fights Silva.

* Edited at 07.14.2012, 9:42 AM ET *

"Just an average guy with exceptional hair, nothing more, nothing less" Kenny Powers

mmafreak
mmafreak
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 433

07.14.2012 | 11:44 AM ET

I like Stann but I don't see him beating Bisping
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.14.2012 | 11:50 AM ET

Prediction: correct Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Stann has teh power to put Bisping down, but I don't think he'll be able to get it done.  Bisping by decision.
ICEMAN23
ICEMAN23
  • Predictions:  2,885  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  123
  • Post Score: 77

07.14.2012 | 12:42 PM ET

Bisping vs Stann

Prediction: wrong Stann   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Bisping has the experience. Bisping is the better all around fighter. Hes a better wrestler forsure. But i think Stann has more power and a better chin. Overall i think Stann is tougher. So i think Bisping gets caught early. Stann first rd. KO
Mayhem14
Mayhem14
  • Predictions:  778  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 77

07.14.2012 | 7:27 PM ET

Bisping by UD. He's too technical, and he will frustrate Stann. Plus, he's only made one major mistake his whole career, and I'm sure he's learned from that. He has good defense, a solid chin, good range, speed, and footwork. This fight is a show stealer, easy, but Bisping's got it in the bag

"I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in two eyes for an eye." -Bas Rutten

jaykool777
jaykool777

07.14.2012 | 7:50 PM ET

@ Swickotine - Thank you very much for the kudos. You know how much I love doing these, and it always makes me feel good to know that you guys enjoy reading them.

@ dielegende23 - LOL @ the trollface!!!!! I was literally rolling on the floor with that post. Had to give you a big thumbs up. If I could give 5 at once, I would. For the record - I agree now, Belcher is the next logical opponent for Weidman, if Weidman doesn't get Silva, but I'd still like to see Belfort/Weidman, if Silva/Weidman doesn't happen. I think that fight would be sick. For Belcher, how about Rich Franklin?

* Edited at 07.14.2012, 7:52 PM ET *

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,048  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

07.19.2012 | 10:01 AM ET

Prediction: correct Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Bisping is a really good fighter and pretty well rounded but he has got a big mouth and I hope Brian Stann shuts it for him with a big punch to the face.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

brad
brad
  • Predictions:  804  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 104

07.19.2012 | 2:42 PM ET

I kinda figured that Bisping was just gonna go to a title shot, but I guess this makes more sense. I think I will be taking Bisping in this one. 

I'm not sure who stylistically has a better chance against Anderson. I'm not sure that his Bispings' wrestling is actually good enough to get and keep Silva down. I have a feeling that if the ends up standing with him he just gets schooled. And Stann is probably a better wrestler than Bisping right? (not really sure now that I think of it though, have to rewatch some fights).

Anyway, looking forward to this and I think Bisping will likely win and then we get to see him truly test himself, lol 
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

07.19.2012 | 2:45 PM ET

It would be hard to rationalize giving someone a title shot after coming off a loss

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

brad
brad
  • Predictions:  804  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 104

07.19.2012 | 2:47 PM ET

Right, lol I dont know what I was thinking for some reason I was thinking he was coming off a win. Is there no one else in the picture to find Anderson next?

-On a side not can anyone remember a fighter getting a UFC title shot after a loss? 

* Edited at 07.19.2012, 2:48 PM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhang
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Deontay Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhilei Zhang
  • MMA Mania : Jake Paul’s $10 Million Offer ‘Still Stands’ For MMA Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul offers Jorge Masvidal, Nate Diaz $10 million for MMA fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Robert Whittaker not sold on Bo Nickal after UFC 300, says he has ‘work to do’ before fighting Top 10
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 live results (7 p.m. ET): Welterweights, featherweights in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, But First...
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video at 2 p.m. ET.
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’