Tapology Forums

Should elbows on the ground be illegal?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

05.28.2012 | 1:04 AM ET

I think they should, and here is why.

For the most part, elbows on the ground cause cuts, that don't directly end fights, but indirectly do. Understand, i do think standing elbows are effective, and dont often cut their opponents due to angle of the strike. But I do not think cutting someone and winning via cut in a legitimate way to win. While it can happen with punches and kicks, it happens all to frequently with elbows on the ground. Cain vs Bigfoot is a good example on how quickly a fight can change witha  sharp elbow... Machida Jones, florian leben - and even afetr a fighter is KO'd Ludwig Hardy. I just think the cuts suffered are unnecessary and can **** over a fighters career because of soft tissue (Bonnar, Sherk)

* Edited at 05.28.2012, 1:04 AM ET *

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Responses

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  52,560  |  68.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,431
  • Post Score: 204

05.28.2012 | 1:09 AM ET

*** is that second picture Duane after the Hardy fight?
hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

05.28.2012 | 1:09 AM ET

That is why i like PRIDE FC rules the best. I agree that Elbows have the best chance of cuts, and I am ok with kicks and knees. 

I remember listening to the Joe Rogan Podcast where Bas Rutten was on and he agrees with the PRIDE no elbows rule.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

05.28.2012 | 1:10 AM ET

yeah, when Ludwig was out, Hardy was GnPing Ludwig with Elbows.

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  38,191  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

05.28.2012 | 1:12 AM ET

damn that eastman cut is nasty

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,693  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.28.2012 | 1:16 AM ET

Wasnt the eastman cut from a jumping knee?

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.28.2012 | 1:17 AM ET

I didnt see an elbow even thrown

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.28.2012 | 1:27 AM ET

oh and also if they make elbows on the ground illegal they need to allow knees on the ground.  I always liked the added space made to throw punches allowed for more grappling transitions.

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

05.28.2012 | 1:27 AM ET

okay, my bad -  wrong fight Dan. There are so many out there, you gotta admit that. im having a hard time thinking about them all now

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.28.2012 | 1:33 AM ET

oh agreed on that they do cause a lot of cuts!! Just i remembered that knee like it was yesterday ;)  

Plus i want knees on the ground damn gan mcgee!!!

* Edited at 05.28.2012, 1:38 AM ET *

Kimuraprime
Kimuraprime
  • Predictions:  141  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 98

05.28.2012 | 8:07 AM ET

I can see where you are coming from. I also remember Nick Diaz once saying he preferred Pride rules because the no-elbows made for cleaner, more technical grappling. I saw the sense in that. On the other hand, it does have the possibility of making 'more entertaining' fights (a lot of people like to see the blood flow) that end quicker. That seems to be something that people expect when buying a PPV.. There must be blood, action and it better be over quick, otherwise it's wasted money. So I personally feel this might play a role in the UFC for example. 

I personally do not have a lot of problems with the elbows, but, as many others, I'd prefer soccer kicks and such over the elbows. It would make for better fights imo.

"Try not to harm others with what you do, we all just want to be happy"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.28.2012 | 8:14 AM ET

The damage caused by elbows to the head on the ground are almost always just flesh wounds (cuts) and do effect the outcome of a fight (visibility/doc stoppage).  The damage caused by knees/kicks to the ground go deeper (Head trauma such as concussions)... I'm not giving a side on either just yet, but I wanted to see what you all thought about what should be legal and what shouldn't be.. or if none of those strikes should be permitted to the head of a grounded opponent.  It isn't like you can duck out of the way or simply use foot work to dodge any of those strikes while grounded.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

05.28.2012 | 9:29 AM ET

i would like the guy on its back to be able to kick a grounded opponent.
but knees to the head on the ground are too dangerous, that could possibly cause skull fracture.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.28.2012 | 9:37 AM ET

EXCELLENT point Nik, good job +1.

I agree with no elbows, it does allow for more technique in grappling. If you want cuts from elbow shots, just look up every Kenny Florian fight ever.

While I LOVE watching soccer kicks and knees on the ground, they shouldn't be allowed either. Kicks MAYBE but not knees, hell no. Like Kalibo said, they tend to cause more concussions; knees especially. I say just stick to punching on the ground, the best elbows are the standing ones anyways. Just like at Nick Denis vs Joseph Sandoval (maybe my favorite KO of all-time):

"الله أكبرl"

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  34,264  |  68.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,404
  • Post Score: 322

05.28.2012 | 9:52 AM ET

Don't allow yourself to get elbowed in the face.

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.28.2012 | 9:59 AM ET

Easier said than done @Oldnik... @Anik.. those 'bows that Denis gave were awesome.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,439  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,777
  • Post Score: 180

05.28.2012 | 10:05 AM ET

I disagree completely about soccer kicks and knees. Knees should be allowed if the torso is off the ground. Having one knee or hand touching the ground does NOT make you a grounded opponent. Personally I would like to see soccer kicks allowed because I want the fighter to have to defend themselves, not relax because of the rules but I understand how vicious it seems to the public. Kicks to the head of a posturing G'n'Per should also be allowed. 

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

05.28.2012 | 10:46 AM ET

elbows on the ground need to be legal, but the problem of people stalling could be fixed with yellow cards. I don't know why we don't have them, maybe they remind Dana of soccer

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.28.2012 | 10:49 AM ET

The only thing with that is, that stand ups are so damn inconsistent by the refs... I bet yellow cards would be as well. They just need to train the refs better... 

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.28.2012 | 11:58 AM ET

If memory serves, the reason we cant have yellow cards in north america is the deduction from the fighters purse that they had in pride. Its apparently illegal to take any money away from fighters, which is why they started the of the night bonuses.  It was supposed to inspire fighters to fight to win not fight to not lose.

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,457  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.28.2012 | 12:17 PM ET

I am neutral with the elbows on the ground. I do believe however that they need to change what constitutes a grounded a opponent. A grounded opponent should be someone with both knees or four points of contact on the ground

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine
  • UFC.com : UFC And Tourism WA Announce Multiyear Deal To Bring Two Action-Packed MMA Events To Perth
  • MMA Mania : UFC Atlantic City Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC free fight: Charles Oliveira rallies to light up Michael Chandler for first title win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Are We Fighting Or What?!’
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez disagrees with Daniel Cormier's claim that Islam Makhachev more dangerous than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen: UFC champ Sean O'Malley has 'really good shot' of finishing Merab Dvalishvili
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Fabio Wardley prepared to put on a show against Frazer Clarke
  • MMA Mania : Eblen ‘Blows Through’ Adesanya, Reaches Strickland In MMA March Madness
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC on ESPN 54's Vicente Luque accepted dangerous Joaquin Buckley replacement
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Manon Fiorot stop Erin Blanchfield at UFC Atlantic City? Plus, one time for Chris Weidman
  • MMA Mania : Barber: ‘Boring’ Blanchield ‘Fought My Leftovers’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reflects on ugly moment striking his wife, changes he made
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Landwehr happy with UFC on ESPN 54 switch from Pat Sabatini to Jamall Emmers: 'It's better for the fans'
  • UFC.com : Hunting Runs Deep In The Swiderski Family