Topic: Johnson vs. Struve

Johnson vs. Struve

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

05.18.2012 | 9:39 AM ET

Prediction: correct Struve   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Johnson vs. Struve. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

05.18.2012 | 9:39 AM ET

Prediction: correct Struve   correct Submission   correct Round 1  

If Pat Barry can get the takedown on Lavar, Struve can.
budgellism
budgellism
  • Predictions:  5,820  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  227
  • Post Score: 178

05.18.2012 | 10:28 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Johnson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

So disappointed that Hunt has gotten injured so close to the fight. I was looking forward to seeing his streak continue. This is a tough fight to pick now. If Struve survives the onslaught and gets the takedown this fight is his. If Johnson lays his hands on Struve's chin he's going to sleep quickly. Looking at Struve's record he's only lost to solid fighters in the UFC. JDS, Nelson, Browne, all by 1st round ko. This is the fight that shows us where Lavar Johnson really fits in the division. It sucks that it's on short notice but we all know this is a first round win for Johnson or a win for Struve anyways. 

The reach is a lot less than I thought it would be. Only 3 inches for Struve? Not bad for Lavar. I think at some point before Struve can pull guard/get a takedown Johnson will find that chin and knock him out clean. To be fair though I thought Herman would do the same thing. 

"Playground Never Die"

Mr_Quondam
Mr_Quondam
  • Predictions:  229  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  58
  • Post Score: 148

05.18.2012 | 10:43 AM ET

Prediction: correct Struve   correct Submission   wrong Round 2  

Struve is a gatekeeper, and only really good fighters have toppled him. We'll see how Mr. Johnson fares against the giant.

"The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up." - Fedor Emelianenko

ACFMMA
ACFMMA

05.18.2012 | 11:31 AM ET

Tough fight to call imo. Struve is just so chinny that we have seen him KOd by guys with lesser power. And it only takes 1 shot from lavar to put struves light out. But as someone mentioned above pat barry was able to take lavar down. If he can do it then struve should be able to do it as well. And if lavar goes down, struves tapping him for sure.
dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,861  |  71.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

05.18.2012 | 11:37 AM ET

The opponent changed but the game plan for Struve should stay the same, get this to the ground ASAP or die trying. I like Struve better and will probably go with him but if this keeps standing the chances Johnson gets thru with a bomb are pretty good...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

05.18.2012 | 12:13 PM ET

I probably shouldn't pick against Struve for the third consecutive time, especially considering how clueless Johnson was when Barry was on top of him.  Taking Johnson at the moment but my pick will probably change.

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

05.18.2012 | 12:20 PM ET

The ground game scares me in this fight :S

But ... WAR LAVAR!

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

MirkoBroCop
MirkoBroCop
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  327
  • Post Score: 269

05.18.2012 | 12:41 PM ET

I know I probably shouldn't be doing this as Pat Barry was able to look like Frank Mir against Johnson in his last fight. But the dude is just straight nasty with every shot he throws. I think the Skysc****r is going to buckle from a well place body shot.
logan48227
logan48227
  • Predictions:  2,214  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  136
  • Post Score: 201

05.18.2012 | 12:44 PM ET

Despite my better judgment, I'm picking Lavar. Obviously Struve has a better ground game and more technical striking, but until he learns how to "fight tall" and utilize his reach more effectively, I can't pick him against a guy with KO power.

"You have respect, you don't lose your teeth"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.18.2012 | 1:35 PM ET

If Struve jumps on Lavar and pulls guard, he'll win. But Lavar has Carwin/Dos Santos-like power and Struve is a gamer who's confident in his striking, so I think Lavar's gonna close the distance and clock Struve with his first couple of punches.

"الله أكبرl"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.18.2012 | 1:38 PM ET

Jeez Struve is going to age so bad if he keeps getting all of these exclusively heavy hitters

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

05.18.2012 | 4:40 PM ET

I'm looking for LJ to punish the body and work his way to the head. If he doesn't finish this in the first he won't finish it at all....
LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

05.18.2012 | 6:07 PM ET

I think this fight's going to end in the first whether it's a KO for Johnson or a submission win for Struve, but right now I'm leaning more toward Struve.  Normally I'd like Struve to 'fight tall', but I don't think this is the fight to do so.  Lavar's got a gigantic reach as well, so Struve needs to close the distance where I think he's very capable of taking Lavar to the ground.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

05.18.2012 | 6:13 PM ET

I think Struve finally realized that he should just sub people with much worse ground games than him (Barry). He's finally fighting much smarter.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,048  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

05.19.2012 | 2:38 AM ET

I am irritated that Hunt got injured before this fight happened, but Lavar did just pull off a very exciting win over Pat Barry. I was concerned that Pat Barry was able to control Johnson so easily on the ground during the fight and he sucks on the ground! Struve certainly has the ground skills to finish from the ground, but he doesn't have his usual reach advantage and Struve has a glass jaw and Johnson hits hard when he gets cage control so it's a pick em I think.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

SpiderGuard
SpiderGuard
  • Predictions:  1,914  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  775
  • Post Score: 174

05.19.2012 | 2:49 AM ET

Not much of a difference from Hunt vs Struve. Either Struve gets the sub or gets KO'd.
Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

05.19.2012 | 3:56 AM ET

Prediction: correct Struve   wrong KO/TKO   correct Round 1  

I don't have confidence in Lavar to make it out of the first if it hits the ground or Struve to make it out of the first if it stays standing.  If this goes to a second round, the laws of physics will no longer be universally accepted.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

kopower
kopower
  • Predictions:  1,489  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  20
  • Post Score: 105

05.19.2012 | 9:28 AM ET

@Live2wrestle. No kidding. Struve isn't going to be able to spell his own name, let alone talk when he turns 30. 
HectorMarcel
HectorMarcel
  • Predictions:  3,584  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  49
  • Post Score: 88

05.19.2012 | 12:08 PM ET

2*

"MMAdawgs.com"

PRIDEIrish
PRIDEIrish
  • Predictions:  710  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  52
  • Post Score: 148

05.19.2012 | 1:16 PM ET

struve will sub him if he makes it past the first round

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings