Topic: Barnett vs. Cormier

Barnett vs. Cormier

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,550  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

05.17.2012 | 12:11 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Barnett vs. Cormier. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

LiLRASKALG
LiLRASKALG
  • Predictions:  3,613  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  373
  • Post Score: 86

05.17.2012 | 12:11 PM ET

Prediction: correct Cormier   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

rooting for CORMIER.!

"IF I AGREE WITH YOU THEN WE WOULD BOTH BE WRONG!"

Vweek
Vweek
  • Predictions:  4,577  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: 240

05.17.2012 | 1:27 PM ET

Prediction: correct Cormier   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Pulling for DC, but I think this is an awesome fight. Should be fun to watch. I personally believe Cormier will tag Barnett early and often, and fight off his TD attempts, wearing him down for an eventual 3rd round TKO. 

"I threw 6 kicks in 3 fights, more money than I've made in my entire life" - Pat Barry

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.17.2012 | 1:29 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Barnett   wrong Decision  

Excited for this fight.  I think cormier is a great prospect and will do good things, but in this fight i think barnett is too experienced and will avoid most of what cormier will attempt en route to barnett taking a fairly close decision.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

RicardoConcha
RicardoConcha
  • Predictions:  3,602  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 52

05.17.2012 | 7:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct Cormier   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

One Punch KO!

"It is only fighter who knows how to fight with yourself"

MMA4LIFE00
MMA4LIFE00
  • Predictions:  14,692  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  648
  • Post Score: 66

05.17.2012 | 10:27 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Barnett   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

I think Barnett's experience will get him the win late in the fight
LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

05.18.2012 | 1:09 AM ET

Going with Cormier but hoping for Barnett
Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

05.18.2012 | 2:09 AM ET

What does experience even mean? Does it help? Did it help Shogun vs Jones? Did it help Fitch vs Hendricks? Did it help Mir vs Carwin? Did it help Couture vs Lesnar? Experience means nothing. You have an Olympic wrestler, with good striking and KO power, who is at a great camp. I think he wins.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.18.2012 | 2:19 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Barnett   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

These guys are 2 of my favorite at HW, I think Barnett will survive an early storm from Cormier and pull off the sub

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Mr_Quondam
Mr_Quondam
  • Predictions:  229  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  58
  • Post Score: 148

05.18.2012 | 10:37 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Barnett   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Submission (arm-triangle) r2 has kind of been the trend for Mr. Barnett as of late. let's go for 3-0 in this tourney

"The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up." - Fedor Emelianenko

RazelThePhoenix
RazelThePhoenix
  • Predictions:  1,019  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  122
  • Post Score: 109

05.18.2012 | 12:52 PM ET

Comier looked fantastic in his last fight, expect him to look for the takedown that barnetts going to try to get, sprawl and put him away with strikes, remember barnett was the guy the got KO'ed by Pedro Rizzo
Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle

05.18.2012 | 12:58 PM ET

@Razel, but the Rizzo fight was so long ago that its irrelevant now, but I do agree that if Cormier wins its going to be either because he can neutralize Barnett's bottom game or he will win by KO

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.18.2012 | 1:23 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Barnett   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

The Rizzo fight is irrelevant, when it happened Fedor didn't have a single Pride fight, GSP wasn't a fighter, BJ Penn just became a black belt, Jordan was in the midst of his second retirement, Lebron was a sop****re, Cam Newton was in elementary, the Baltimore Ravens were the defending champions, Brian Urlacher was defensive rookie of the year, Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward never met in the ring, Ray Bourque never won a cup, Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds were still legit, the US weren't in a war and I was 5.

Damn that was fun to research.

"الله أكبرl"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle

05.18.2012 | 1:26 PM ET

Well I have to thumbs up Anik after that research lol 

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

05.18.2012 | 1:28 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Barnett   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

I think that Cormier is in huge trouble if Barnett can get the clinch.  From there he can utilize that catch wrestling and throw Cormier to the ground.  Assuming that Cormier's guard is nothing special, I can see Barnett submitting him fairly early.  If Cormier can avoid the clinch and showcase his boxing like in the Silva fight, Barnett will be in huge trouble.  I'm taking Barnett for now, but damn do I want to pick Cormier.

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,762  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

05.18.2012 | 1:30 PM ET

@Anik thumbs up from me as well, dosen't change the fact that Cormier will win but thumps up...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle

05.18.2012 | 1:32 PM ET

All I know is that Barnett better give one of his speeches if he wins

DiegoDiegerson
DiegoDiegerson
  • Predictions:  510  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  57
  • Post Score: 107

05.18.2012 | 2:59 PM ET

The odds are getting super close - I think they're even on Bodog. Right now I'm going with Cormier by decision, but only decision because calling a round finish in a 5-rounder is usually a silly idea. I don't think Barnett is going to have happen to him what happened to Bigfoot - he's going to be more careful.

I just think that Cormier is a really hard matchup for Barnett. He overcame a longer reach advantage in his last fight, he's a great wrestler, he's fast, he clearly has power. I think he can pull off a sprawl-and-brawl gameplan.

After Barnett won, and Fedor and Overeem were out, I was rooting for Barnett to win, and then when I saw what Cormier did to Bigfoot, and after reading a bit more about Cormier, I got worried. Barnett's a great fighter, but quality wrestlers with good standup are the worst possible matchup for submission fighters like Barnett.

"James Jamerson: P4P and overall bass Greatest of All Time. "

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

05.18.2012 | 3:03 PM ET

Hyped for this fight, don't really know what to expect.
joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  240,819  |  68.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

05.18.2012 | 3:18 PM ET

Regarding Barnett's fight with Rizzo, I don't think the one from February 2001 matters much today. And I for one better remember this:

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  240,819  |  68.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

05.18.2012 | 3:24 PM ET

@Livetowrestle, this is my idea of how it will go too. Anybody remember the last time Barnett fought an Olympic Gold Medalist (in Judo, but still)?

* Edited at 05.18.2012, 3:25 PM ET *

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Says Alex Pereira Could Be MMA GOAT If He Wins Heavyweight Title, Vouches For ‘Poatan’ vs. Tom Aspinall Fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL live now
  • MMA Junkie : Cody Garbrandt says he experienced vertigo during UFC 300 loss
  • Middle Easy : Renato Moicano Enlightens Fans With Money Lessons, Agrees To Do TUF Against Paddy Pimblett
  • MMA Mania : Audio: Ref Mic Captures ‘Blessed’ Blast
  • MMA Mania : Taylor Vs Serrano 2 Joins Paul-Tyson On Netflix
  • Bad Left Hook : Taylor vs Serrano rematch joins Paul vs Tyson on July 20
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 303 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : Alan Jouban argues ‘it’s not over’ for Justin Gaethje’s title hopes despite brutal UFC 300 loss
  • Middle Easy : Fan Apologizes To Arman Tsarukyan For ‘Flipping Him Off’ At UFC 300, Says He Wouldn’t Sue UFC
  • MMA Mania : Holloway, Harrison Upend Official UFC Rankings
  • MMAFighting.com : Katie Taylor vs. Amanda Serrano 2 announced as co-main event for Tyson vs. Paul fight card
  • MMAFighting.com : MMA Divisional Rankings: UFC 300 completely reshapes the global ranks
  • MMA Junkie : Why Arman Tsarukyan finds Charles Oliveira 'more dangerous' than UFC champ Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Mania : Jama Vs. Jiri - ‘Make It Happen!’
  • MMAFighting.com : Aljamain Sterling considered retirement if he lost at UFC 300: ‘I was probably done’
  • MMA Junkie : Gegard Mousasi frustrated by 'radio silence' from PFL, feeling pressured to 'take a pay cut'
  • MMA Mania : Battle of the BMFs? ‘I Would Love To Bust Gaethje’s Face Up’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I just need to land the correct shot and he’s gone’: Riakporhe confident he’ll beat Billam-Smith again
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ian Machado Garry calls for UFC 303 co-main event vs. ‘p****’ Colby Covington, says ‘I’ll retire him for good’