Topic: Alves vs. Story

Alves vs. Story Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,566  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,518
  • Post Score: 60

03.03.2011 | 9:15 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Alves   wrong Decision  

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Alves vs. Story. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

05.04.2011 | 3:55 PM ET

Prediction: correct Story   correct Decision  

Alves has great stand-up, but he won't be standing that much.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

05.04.2011 | 3:59 PM ET

Prediction: correct Story   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Story is going to ground and pound him through the mat.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

05.04.2011 | 4:03 PM ET

If Thiago wants to win he needs to knock him out in the first, he has a horrible gas tank and Story is simply brutal with his ground skill. Relentless.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

05.04.2011 | 4:06 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Alves   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

@TacomaTerror .. It looks like his cardio had really improved in the Howard fight and I wouldnt say he has a bad gas tank anyway.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

05.04.2011 | 4:08 PM ET

BJ has been in fights when he looked in shape too, I'm just going with the track record and going to say Alves will get tired easilly due to the big cut he always makes.

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

05.04.2011 | 4:10 PM ET

I hope Rick throws some posts in here before the fight. I've only ever seen him on here once.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

05.04.2011 | 4:12 PM ET

Yes but he has now got proper dieting and everything his cut is much easier... hes on the dolce diet so I dont think hel gas... Will be close fight tho I think

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

05.04.2011 | 4:13 PM ET

I will believe it when I see it then. And even if he does not get tired, I hope he has worked on his TDD.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

05.04.2011 | 4:20 PM ET

Yes I suppose we all do haha.

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

05.04.2011 | 11:26 PM ET

i bet on story vs johnny hendricks and made some good $$$ so im going with story im a fan i hope he pulls it out!

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

05.05.2011 | 12:15 AM ET

@KoKid I'm really liking Rick Story in this fight and have enjoyed watching him fight...My gut is really telling me he's gonna win this and I like Alves better then most at 170

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

05.05.2011 | 7:45 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Alves   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Story has a massive amount of potential but it's not his time to fight Alves. Thiago has his weight and cut under control. Story is a big dude too, but i don't think he's nearly as quick as Thiago and he's never faced someone with a Muay Thai aresenal, especially leg kicks, like Thiago brings. I think this fight will be a one sided TKO for two rounds and Alves getting a title eliminator bout with.... **** who knows...
HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

05.05.2011 | 8:39 AM ET

I'm a fan of both guys, but I really love watching Story fight.  I think Story has what it takes to step up and prove that he can hang with top guys. Anything can happen in mma, but I like Story's chances.  However, Alves wouldn't surprise me if he wants to make a statement and tries to take Story's head off.  I'm looking forward to a three round war. 

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

05.05.2011 | 1:56 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Alves   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Alves hooked up with Mike Dolce for his last fight, so his cut isn't a big problem anymore.  Alves also has a pretty good sprawl, so I figure he can keep it standing.  Story might smash him against the cage though.
jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

05.21.2011 | 5:51 AM ET

I really like both fighters, and in the stand-up, I have to give Thiago Alves the nod, but Rick Story has figured a formula on how to win here lately. I think Rick Story observes a page out of Jon Fitch's book and takes this one by decsion.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

05.21.2011 | 10:24 AM ET

Another fight I could change my predicition in  soon. Thiago looked damn good against John Howard in his last fight, but if Rick Story can get the fight to the ground he could ride out the decision with some GnP

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

ToddLoc
ToddLoc
  • Predictions:  675  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  138
  • Post Score: 93

05.25.2011 | 2:32 PM ET

Alves by TDD and technical striking.

"Anderson Silva is the Greatest MMA Fighter of ALL TIME"

PatMaynardESPN760
PatMaynardESPN760
  • Predictions:  39  |  53.8%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 50

05.25.2011 | 3:14 PM ET

Rick Story is underrated and he has a determination inside of him that is rivaled by few in MMA. I think he keeps it tight, and a frenetic pace.

"Not one quote can describe my personality. To pick a quote from a book that you didn't write seems cliche'. But I don't want to seem pecimistic, sooooo: "Life is a fight. Leave it all in the cage.""

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.25.2011 | 8:04 PM ET

I'm comfortable with 8/10 of my picks for this event. This is 1 of the 2 I'm not, the other being Brian Stann.

Alves stopped Hughes' and Kos' takedowns, but couldn't stop GSP's or Fitch's takedowns. The Kos one may not be the best example though because he wasn't fully committed to getting the takedown. He wanted to stand with Alves, and was badly rocked early on which may have affected the rest of the fight.

Rick Story has some good striking skills and power, and is very aggressive, but I don't think he's anywhere near Alves' level. So it really all depends on him getting the takedown and keeping him down. And I'm undecided on the issue. I could change my pick multiple times before Saturday. If I were betting I'd go with Story because of the odds.

Like with the Rampage fight, I'm going to pick a decision either way. I don't think Alves will be able to commit enough for him to have a good chance of getting the KO, due to having to defend takedowns. I wouldn't be surprised to see the KO though.

This fight and the Rampage fight have some similarities. Striker vs wrestler matchup, and also both strikers are favored a similar amount... Alves is 82% and Rampage is 81% on Tapology. I'm more confident on the Rampage pick than this pick due to Rampage's wrestling ability and TDD. I wonder how many of the people that pick Hamill are also picking Story. You'd think it'd be a higher amount than the odds of both of them winning would suggest, due to people picking because they favor wrestling in general. I'm actually one of those people. I tend to favor the wrestlers more than others do. I picked Sonnen over Anderson, Fitch over Alves in the rematch, and I'll pick Mendes over Aldo if that fight ever happens.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

05.25.2011 | 10:25 PM ET

My head is saying Thiago, but my heart's saying Rick.  Right now, I've got Rick by decision, but I'll probably wait to see how the weigh-ins look.  Might change it.

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : PFL signs top prospect Paul Hughes, says promotion president
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Magomed Umalatov remains unbeaten, Brendan Loughnane gets back on track with quick win
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 full results: Magomed Umalatov, Shamil Musaev keep unbeaten records intact
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Square Up With Yourself, Motherf—ker!
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Brendan Loughnane TKOs Pedro Carvalho; stoppage sparks controversy
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Shamil Musaev pulverizes Logan Storley with violent knockout blows
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighter’s puking causes TKO loss at Dynasty Combat Sports 91
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz walks out on final tour stop: ‘Square off with yourself motherf**ker’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Gabriel Braga knocks out Justin Gonzales in first fight since father's death
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz bails on final press conference with Jorge Masvidal: 'Square off with yourself, motherf*cker'
  • MMA Junkie : Paige VanZant to fight fellow OnlyFans star Elle Brooke at Misfits Boxing 15
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant fights Elle Brooke in Misfits Boxing 15 main event
  • MMA Mania : Hill Shrugs Off KO Loss, Books UFC 303 Return
  • MMA Junkie : Jamahal Hill books quick turnaround for UFC 303, faces Khalil Rountree
  • MMAFighting.com : Jamahal Hill vs. Khalil Rountree announced for McGregor vs. Chandler card at UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : UFC 300 Judge Apologizes For Oliveira Score
  • MMAFighting.com : Diaz vs. Masvidal Los Angeles press conference video
  • Middle Easy : Former UFC Fighter Paige VanZant Rumored For May 25 Boxing Match Against Influencer Elle Brooke