Open Thread

UFC match-making

MassaBruce
MassaBruce
  • Predictions:  6,927  |  64.9%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: -266

09.12.2017 | 12:56 PM ET

Its been pretty silly lately. A lot of prospect killing. Signing dudes who are contractually-obligated by other orgs etc. Never really been a fan of Shelby. Mick Maynard should go back to the regional scene. First fighter from the Contender series to fight in the UFC got murked by Zabit. 

Dumbest match-ups currently set.

Tom D vs Cody Stamann. No need for either to have an L right now

Gregor G vs Jason Bumzalez. 2-0 vs 0-2....great fight.....

Jotko vs Hall....because Hall needs another L on his record apparently. 

Saki vs Frankwenstein Da Silva makes no sense. 

Cowboy vs Till? Brilliant lemme tell ya.....

and now some dude named Malaysia who is still under contract for other orgs GTFO 

"I know Russia better than Russians. "

Responses

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  890  |  59.1%
  • Forum Posts:  332
  • Post Score: 146

09.13.2017 | 7:43 AM ET

I like it when two top prospects fight though. And if a prospect comes through and wrecks an established contender, then boom. Now you have a new fresh contender. Cody vs almeida was one of my fav examples. Or holloway vs mcgregor. I think both the winners and lthers came out fine. It did confirm what i thought about almeida though. He gets cracked by a counter hook. 

"Where are my shoes?"

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

09.13.2017 | 10:44 AM ET

Yea, sometimes they're needed & legit. Other times, like this time...it doesn't make any sense. 

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  6,641  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4,624
  • Post Score: 143

09.13.2017 | 12:18 PM ET

Saki vs Da Silva makes sense. They are clearly hoping Saki can KO da Silva in setacular fashion. It will look better for Saki to beat or to lose to a 15 fight veteran than signing some total can. It's less obvious record building.

Gregor is 2-0 and Gonzalez is 1-1 if Gonzalez wins both would be 2-1 so it seems to make sense. Besides if Gregor gets another great performance you may be able to build a respectable star.

The Hall comtender train derailed a long time ago it is clear Hall with all his athleticism will never be the contender they hoped and at this point he is only there to test the level of other prospects like Jotko. I'm a little surprised they keep Hall on the roster at this point.

Tom D v Cody S sure you guarantee one a loss which they will recover from if they are true contenders but one is also guaranteed a win which will propel his career quicker. Everytime a fighter steps in the cage they risk losing MMA is a sport where no win is guaranteed.

I like Cowboy vs Till it will test where Till truly is. Prospects have to fight established contenders eventually.

"With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species. - Idiocracy"

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

09.13.2017 | 10:33 PM ET

Da Silva is 0-3 in his last 3 fights, all by stoppage. How does that make sense exactly? 

Hall train been over for years. But does that mean he needs what 3-4 losses in a row!? How does that make sense exactly? 

Tom D could fight anybody & it would propel his career forward....putting him against another prospect right now is asinine & pathetic. Plain as day. 

We truly know where Till is...which is a draw vs Dalby. 

I don't like Gregor in the slightest. So i'm biased in the fact that I think he's a bum. 

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  6,641  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4,624
  • Post Score: 143

09.14.2017 | 2:29 AM ET

Saki is 0-1 in his entire MMA career. Da Silva is disposable. The hope is he gets KOed again and then is cut and Saki gets his first MMA win in country he has a following. This is one of the easiest matchups the UFC can give Saki without blatantly signing a guy who has no business in the UFC.

Why does it matter if Hall gets another loss? He is lucky to be in the UFC at all. That being said his last three losses were to High level guys and Jotko is a step down from his last three opponents. If Hall manages to beat Jotko you can still sell him as a respectable gatekeeper if he loses cut him.

What are you afraid Tom is going to lose? Both guys are 1-0 in the UFC How is it a bad matchup? What difference does it make if it's Stamann?

Gregor will have his day where he is really tested he is in a deep division so the slow path is expected. If you hate him though and he loses to Gonzalez it will look even worse and his career will have a harder time recovering. No matter how big an underdog someonw is in a sport as dynamic as MMA there is always a chance.

"With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species. - Idiocracy"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  47,497  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,217
  • Post Score: 41

09.16.2017 | 9:53 AM ET

Gregory is a world class athlete and wrestler. He is definitely not a bum.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

09.16.2017 | 11:24 AM ET

He's definitely not a world-class athlete. There's a million Gregors in Russia. 

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC Japan Results: OSP vs. Okami
  • MMA Weekly : Mizuto Hirota Pulled from UFC Fight Night in Japan After Disastrous Weight Cut
  • MMAFighting.com : Mizuto Hirota out of UFC Japan for health reasons following scary weigh-in
  • MMA Weekly : Watch the 15-Second KO That Earned Karl Roberson at UFC Contract
  • MMA Junkie : Mizuto Hirota pulled from UFC-Japan after scary weigh-in incident
  • MMA Junkie : Fedor Emelianenko approves of his 'Glorious Sweater of Absolute Victory' bobblehead
  • MMAFighting.com : Paul Daley vs. Brennan Ward full fight video
  • MMA Weekly : Nicco Montano Upsets Lauren Murphy (TUF 26 Fight Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : Sports Illustrated ranks top 50 fittest athletes, and Conor McGregor somehow beats Demetrious Johnson
  • MMAFighting.com : ONE announces full 2018 calendar with 24 cards in Asia
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator 183's Lorenz Larkin gives origin story of Paul Daley beef
  • MMA Junkie : UFC welterweight Matt Brown says he'll retire after fighting Diego Sanchez
  • MMA Weekly : Jeremy Stephens Responds to Conor McGregor with Savage Burn
  • MMA Junkie : Does Conor McGregor recognize 'who the fook' this guy is with his mom?
  • MMA Junkie : USADA suspends UFC's Nick Roehrick 1 year for doping
  • MMAFighting.com : Nick Roehrick accepts 1-year suspension from USADA after testing positive for clomiphene
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Who the fook is that guy?’ Jeremy Stephens now has an answer for Conor McGregor
  • MMA Weekly : Matt Brown Will Retire Following Diego Sanchez Fight
  • MMA Junkie : Not even Miesha Tate wants to see Ronda Rousey 'get slaughtered' by Cris Cyborg
  • MMA Junkie : With a repaired knee, Benson Henderson wants final years 'to be as action-packed as possible'