- Given Name: Ivan Gene LeBell
- MMA Record: 1-0-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
- Nickname: Judo
- Current Streak: 1 Win
- Age: 86 | Date of Birth: 1932.10.09
- Last Fight: December 02, 1963
- Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: N/A
- Affiliation: N/A
- Height: N/A | Reach: N/A
- Career Disclosed Earnings: $0 USD
- Born: Los Angeles, California, United States
- Fighting out of: Los Angeles, California
Gene LeBell Welterweight Ranking History
Tapology Regional Rankings Rankings FAQ
Gene LeBell is ineligible for regional rankings due to inactivity.
Fighters must have at least one completed MMA bout in the past two years to be ranked.
Gene LeBell MMA Fight Record
Milo SavageWin · Submission · R4Utah Regional1963.12.02
Gene LeBell Wiki Update Wiki
Gene LeBell beat Milo Savage in first officially recognized "mixed" fight in the United States. The event was billed as "Boxer vs Judo-Karate - Something New For Sports Fans," and took place in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Dec 2, 1963.
An article written in Rogue magazine, Aug 1963 issue, suggested that any Boxer could beat any Judoka. Deriding them as "Judo bums" and braggarts, the article issued a challenge to any Judoka to a fight. LeBell, the "Judo man," took up a challenge. Here was the challenge:
- "Judo... is a complete fraud... Every judo man I've ever met was a braggart and a show off... Any boxer can beat a judo man. Judo bums hear me one and all! It's one thing to fracture pine boards, bricks, and assorted inanimate objects, but quite another to climb into a ring with a trained and less cooperative target. My money is ready. Where are the takers?"
The Boxer LeBell would face was boxer Milo Savage, a former Contender past his prime. The "mixed" rules for the bout allow punches and grappling, but did not allow kicks or karate chops. Both contestants wore gi tops. And the bout could only end in a finish, thus unlimited rounds. LeBell choked-out Savage in the 4th Rd.