Main Event | Strikeforce Middleweight Championship | 185 lbs
Luke Rockhold defeats Tim Kennedy via 5 Round Decision
|9-1-0||Pro Record At Fight||14-3-0|
|Climbed to 10-1||Record After Fight||Fell to 14-4|
|-375 (Moderate Favorite)||Betting Odds||+290 (Moderate Underdog)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|San Jose, California||Fighting out of||Fort Bragg, North Carolina|
|27 years, 8 months, 3 weeks, 6 days||Age at Fight||32 years, 10 months, 1 week, 6 days|
|185.5 lbs (84.1 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||184.5 lbs (83.7 kgs)|
|6'3" (191cm)||Height||5'11" (181cm)|
|77.0" (196cm)||Reach||74.0" (188cm)|
|American Kickboxing Academy||Gym||Jackson Wink MMA|
- Bout Information
- Event: Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy
- Date: Saturday 07.14.2012 at 10:00 PM ET
- Referee: John McCarthy
- Venue: Rose Garden
- Enclosure: Cage
- Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
- Bout Billing: Main Event (fight 9 of 9)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 185 lbs (83.9 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mauro Ranallo, Frank Shamrock, Pat Militech
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Mauro Ranallo
- Rockhold Total Disclosed Pay: $99,925
- Kennedy Total Disclosed Pay: $54,940
- Title on Line: Strikeforce Middleweight Championship
- Belt Status Before Fight: Held by Rockhold
Rockhold vs. Kennedy Wiki Update Wiki
The main event of Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy saw Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Luke Rockhold defend his title against challenger Tim Kennedy.
Rockhold took the center of the cage in the Southpaw stance then switched and blocked a few range-finding kicks from Kennedy. Rockhold pushed Kennedy into the fence and worked knees to the legs and midsection then broke away. Rockhold dodged another kick and landed a couple of glancing straights then won a positional battle in the clinch. Rockhold dodged a straight and stunned Kennedy with a three-punch combo starting with a left then pushed Kennedy back into the fence. Kennedy turned the tables with a nice takedown off the cage and landed in half guard. Rockhold went fishing for a Kimura and pulled the arm out, nearly straightening the limb before Kennedy escaped the hold and passed to side mount briefly. Rockhold stood and turned Kennedy into the fence.
Again Rockhold walked Kennedy down to start the second and launched a heavy head kick that Kennedy blocked. Kennedy rushed forward off the kick in search of a takedown but Rockhold took his back in the ensuing scramble and got a deep hook in. Kennedy got back to his feet and Rockhold walked him down again, landing a straight while Kennedy kicked at his legs. Rockhold went to the body with a few punches and a kick. Kennedy landed a flush right hand but Rockhold walked right through it then stuffed a Kennedy takedown and briefly rolled for a crucifix before standing again. Rockhold got active with his kicks and again took a flush right hand to no effect and cage control was all Rockhold to this point in the fight.
Rockhold pushed Kennedy into the fence in the third and the action was halted so McCarthy could warn both men, Kennedy for a low blow and Rockhold for grabbing the fence. Rockhold landed a nice right hook on the restart and Kennedy attacked with kicks then the athletic middleweights jockeyed for position in the clinch. Rockhold separated then walked forward and blocked some hard kicks to counter with a nice straight left to the jaw. Kennedy had more success this round with his kicks but he was still moving backward and taking shots at the end of Rockhold's strikes. Kennedy dove in and got a takedown as the final minute approached and took the champion's back, but Rockhold shook him off and got to his feet. Rockhold broke off and landed a nice hook then continued to walk Kennedy down.
Both men showed a sense of urgency early in the forth, Kennedy landing leg kicks while Rockhold landed some nice hooks up high. Cage control was all Rockhold again as Kennedy moved back after every exchange without countering with anything heavy. Neither fighter was throwing combos behind one or two strikes at a time, but their single shots had power. Kennedy landed a right hook but was flattened but a Rockhold thrust punch and Rockhold followed up with punches on the ground. Kennedy recovered quickly and worked himself into a Guillotine position on the bottom, Rockhold fighting out of the hold and getting to his feet quickly. A torrid clinch battle and grappling exchange followed and Rockhold ended the round on top in side mount. Heading into the final round it was looking like Kennedy needed a finish to take the belt.
The workmanlike pace continued into the fifth, and while neither fighter was spectacular, the steady pace of striking and grappling was impressive considering how powerful both men were. The fifth largely resembled the earlier rounds, with Kennedy backing off and looking for openings that Rockhold refused to allow him while the champion marched forward with heavy body kicks and occasional straight punches, fighting off most of Kennedy's takedown attempts. In another competitive grappling scramble, Rockhold wound up on top but took a knee to the head in the process. Back on the feet, Kennedy landed a nice right hand but Rockhold displayed a great chin and did not react. Rockhold had a small cut under his left eye but otherwise was none the worse for wear and he continued to press his attack on the challenger. Rockhold attacked in the final 30 seconds, landing a big knee in the clinch but Kennedy fought to the bitter end.
The judges scored the bout 49-46 across the board for Rockhold, who retained his middleweight title.
Speaking with Mauro Ranallo following the win, Rockhold said, "Five round wars suck, but hard work pays off. I controlled the pace and I defended most of the takedowns and got a couple of my own. I feel good. I tried to head hunt and he has some funky strikes so it was hard to time."
Rockhold vs. Kennedy Fight Predictions
Videos & Highlights
Predictions | Rockhold vs Kennedy MMA Oddsbreakers report dead link
MMA Oddsbreakers breaks down the betting odds between Tim Kennedy and Luke Rockhold with analysis from host Nick Kalikas and guests Jeremy Botter and Damon Martin.
Rockhold vs. Kennedy Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- "@ChrisWeidmanUFC: Anderson take your pick lol? @rockholdMMA http://t.co/ursPbbwC" best looking middleweights in the world!
- 5 days, 4 hours, and 2 minutes
- My day is still getting better. TriumphSpeedTriple http://t.co/0nTcmfC0
- 4 days, 6 hours, and 2 minutes
- Today I am feeling a little better about my life. This is me shooting with my sisters. http://t.co/1pPjq79D
- 4 days, 3 hours, and 2 minutes
- RT @djBIZ: Chillin' w/ #strikeforce champ @rockholdmma on @1025kdon #showtime #lukerockhold http://t.co/8sY4UYGi
- 3 days, 19 hours, and 28 minutes
- Sweet RT @toppscards: .@rockholdmma nice grill! your mouthguard embedded into card Topp Ufc Finest http://t.co/eVqnD6nF
- 2 days, 22 hours, and 18 minutes
- @ChrisWeidmanUFC thanks bro, went pretty good obviously not as good as yours! Lot of talk about us this week huh, lol wish u the best!
- 2 days, 4 hours, and 47 minutes
- “@tboyd1906: @TimKennedyMMA Where can I pick up a "Come and Take It" shirt like you wore to the Rose Garden?” here @Ranger_Up
- 2 days, 3 hours, and 3 minutes
- Thanks everybody, that was a tough fight, wasn't my best but I got the job done!
- 21 hours and 19 minutes
- Nice shots RT @allelbows: And the champ @rockholdMMA inspecting his bruises: http://t.co/dzji3Kwl @SHOsports @dc_mma
- 21 hours and 16 minutes
- @TimKennedyMMA lol RT @akajav: @rockholdMMA made a friend last nite &amp; now it seems that they are best buddies!! http://t.co/JYLeWYi3
- 21 hours and 10 minutes
- Thanks for all the support. I fought my ass off. I'll be back better than ever. Congrats to @rockholdMMA he's a great champion.
- 8 hours and 15 minutes
- Weighed n on the unofficial scale in back perfect! Commission told they were exactly the same. Sorry I missed but I did make it 15 min later
- 20 hours and 4 minutes
- Banner's all cleared and ready to go @dominationapp @Oak_Grove_tech @AKASANJOSE a #WinningTeam http://t.co/wJkgDdVf
- 1 day, 3 hours, and 56 minutes
- This is my banner for the fight. Thanks to @austinmuaythai @FIREBELLZ @JacksonsMMA Oak Grove and the @USNationalGuard http://t.co/4zmqG0s7
- 1 day, 4 hours, and 9 minutes
- Fack U Wilcox fack U RT @akajav: @JustinWilcoxMMA not helping @rockholdMMA make weight!! Champ not happy!!lol http://t.co/7L3hw8XI
- 1 day, 16 hours, and 8 minutes
- Changed my personal facebook page to a fan page & merged with my existing fan page. At 10k likes, ill do a giveaway! https://t.co/S0f9ozam
- 2 days and 34 minutes
- #BigPimpin RT @MikeKogan: @rockholdMMA rolling like a true champ in his pimpride on the way to presser http://t.co/gAyg3sxS
- 2 days, 1 hour, and 52 minutes
- No fuel tv at hotel but just caught the fights this morning damn @ChrisWeidmanUFC looking good, nice work!
- 2 days, 2 hours, and 57 minutes
- I have 25 copies the current @tapout magazine wear a patriotic shirt find me at weighins. I'll sign and give you. http://t.co/1bQ7Ueyr
- 2 days, 3 hours, and 7 minutes
- STRIKEFORCE: Rockhold vs Kennedy Pre-Fight Media Call http://t.co/QYV5fynn
- 2 days, 9 hours, and 6 minutes
- RT @SHOsports @Strikeforce @ufc another great shoot!!! @SHOOTMedia: RT @rockholdMMA SHOOT! http://t.co/JV2Lbfvs @shootmedia
- 2 days, 22 hours, and 48 minutes
- I am so excited about the Olympics. I have major USA pride. Can't wait to see us crush the competition.
- 3 days and 57 minutes
- Thanks guys RT @MMAjunkieRadio: RT @russroman85: @rockholdMMA Always good hearing you on @MMAjunkieRadio w @MMAjunkieGeorge
- 3 days, 1 hour, and 29 minutes
- Too skinny! RT @TimKennedyMMA: Just saw @rockholdMMA in elevator. We are two skinny dudes rights now. We fist bumped.
- 3 days, 3 hours, and 55 minutes
- Just saw @rockholdMMA in elevator. We are two skinny dudes rights now. We fist bumped.
- 3 days, 4 hours, and 18 minutes
- Thank god for #WholeFoods RT @MikeKogan: @rockholdMMA getting weekly shopping done in Portland http://t.co/LEYezio8
- 3 days, 21 hours, and 24 minutes
- Yep RT @clcorona18: @rockholdMMA @Strikeforce lmao u seriously posted a pic while takin a shit?! aahhhhhhahaha
- 3 days, 22 hours, and 45 minutes
- Just got to hotel in Portland, man @Strikeforce hooked it up tv's in the bathroom and all #PimpStatus http://t.co/RjhXfKB2
- 3 days, 23 hours, and 37 minutes
- Han•gry (han-gree) adj. A state of anger caused by lack of food; huger causing a negative change in emotional state. (my current condition)
- 4 days, 1 hour, and 42 minutes
- My resting heart rate is consistantly in the mid thirties, I'd say I'm ready to go! July 14th cardio is king
- 4 days, 18 hours, and 41 minutes
- All u #ASNutHuggers explain this takedown defense to yourself! http://t.co/6pQ8ya1z I'm done with this till after my fight. peace out
- 4 days, 22 hours, and 20 minutes
- Why is it that the only thing on TV is cooking and dining shows? It's like the god of cutting weight is trying to punish me for something.
- 5 days, 3 hours, and 48 minutes
- “@franco91hou: @TimKennedyMMA legal knee...shady sportsmanship.” I agree. Just re-watched the fight. Legal knee.
- 6 days, 15 hours, and 2 minutes
- “@Andrew291082: @TimKennedyMMA And yet all of that pales in comparison to a failed drugs test” good point.
- 6 days, 15 hours, and 27 minutes
- Wipe grease on your arms, grab your opponent shorts, and knee them in the face when they are down. That's how champions should act?
- 6 days, 15 hours, and 34 minutes
- Guys it wasn't just the knee it was the grease the shorts grab, just wasn't champion like
- 6 days, 16 hours, and 8 minutes
- It was so Canadian of Patrick Cote to walkout to out to MC Hammer's Too Legit 2 Quit. Someone should tell him that song is old.
- 6 days, 17 hours, and 45 minutes
- Easton complaining that Minjavar front kicking his cup. How can u miss that thing #elephantitisCup
- 6 days, 18 hours, and 21 minutes
- I can't decide if Steven Seagal is bat shit crazy or just totally delusional. He claims to have shown Silva 2-3 things for this fight.
- 6 days, 23 hours, and 39 minutes
- These are my picks for @ufc 148 Mendes, Kim, Cote, Griffin, Sonnen by 4th round TKO.
- 1 week, 1 hour, and 7 minutes
- It's always nice to finish with ur best sparring day of ur entire camp! @Strikeforce 14th @SHOsports here I come
- 1 week, 20 hours, and 43 minutes
- If you are in the military and would like a free digital copy of @tapout magazine with me on the cover email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 week, 1 day, and 8 seconds
- Last day of hard sprints up the hill of tears. @BubbaTheMenace @DiegoBrandaoMMA @djAtomicSwag @poin52 http://t.co/6o2dCcaF
- 1 week, 1 day, and 31 minutes
- Last day of sparring and hard training lets go @JustinWilcoxMMA @domiNateMoore #AKA time to Finish strong! @Strikeforce July 14th
- 1 week, 1 day, 2 hours, and 6 minutes