Main Event | Bellator MMA Welterweight Championship | 170 lbs
Ben Askren defeats Jay Hieron via 5 Round Decision
|8-0-0||Pro Record At Fight||22-4-0|
|Climbed to 9-0||Record After Fight||Fell to 22-5|
|-500 (Heavy Favorite)||Betting Odds||+400 (Heavy Underdog)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|Phoenix, Arizona||Fighting out of||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|27 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days||Age at Fight||35 years, 3 months|
|169.6 lbs (76.9 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||169.8 lbs (77.0 kgs)|
|5'11" (181cm)||Height||6'0" (183cm)|
|71.0" (180cm)||Reach||75.0" (191cm)|
Roufusport MMA Academy
Evolve MMA (Other)
- Bout Information
- Event: Bellator 56
- Date: Saturday 10.29.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Jason Herzog
- Venue: Memorial Hall
- Enclosure: Cage
- Location: Kansas City, Kansas, United States
- Bout Billing: Main Event (fight 10 of 10)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
- TV Commentary: Sean Wheelock, Jimmy Smith
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Jimmy Smith
- Askren Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Hieron Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Title on Line: Bellator MMA Welterweight Championship
- Belt Status Before Fight: Held by Askren
Askren vs. Hieron Wiki Update Wiki
Askren and Hieron took to the cage for the main event of the evening for the welterweight title.
Askren was the first to connect on a strike, landing an overhand right at the start of the bout. Askren charged forward in search of a takedown but Hieron stuffed him and wound up on top in side control. Askren rolled to his knees then got to his feet and the fighters separated. Hieron landed a jab. Askren landed a right cross then a knee in a brief clinch. Hieron responded with a straight jab. Hieron stuffed another takedown against the cage then Askren landed a knee to the body and pushed Hieron against the cage. Askren dropped for a takedown but Hieron again defended and spun away from the cage. Hieron landed another nice straight jab then sprawled to defend a takedown in the center of the cage. Hieron landed a lead hand hook that backed Askren up. Askren slipped on a head kick attempt then took a leg kick at the bell.
Hieron's superb takedown defense continued in the second round, until Askren refused to give up on a deep double leg and eventually got his opponent down, posturing up to land some punches before passing to half guard. Askren worked short punches from the half guard and tried to isolate and arm for a submission, but Hieron defended. Askren continued to wear on Hieron with short punches and elbows as Hieron had no answer for the wrestler's suffocating top control. Both fighters had small cuts around their eyes. Hieron managed to reclaim the guard, threw up a Triangle Choke attempt, then wound up with Askren on top in side control for his efforts. Hieron trapped one of Askren's arms with his legs and took knees to the body for the last ten seconds of the round.
Askren blocked a head kick to start the third round. Hieron landed a lead hand hook. Another head kick was blocked by Askren but a jab got through. Hieron stuffed a takedown and backed away from Askren. Askren lunged forward with a hook that missed but instantly ducked down, scooped up a double leg and got a slam takedown. Askren stood then passed to side control but was relegated to half guard when he tried to mount Hieron. Askren went back to work on top with short elbows. Hieron kicked Askren away and got to his feet then landed another lead hook. An inside leg kick landed for Hieron then another jab. Hieron caught a body kick and countered with a combo before the bell.
Askren landed a nice right cross to start the fourth round as he stalked forward then Hieron answered. A body kick landed for Askren then Hieron stuffed a takedown, only to be dragged down with a front headlock. Askren spun to Hieron's back and fired off knees to the body while keeping Hieron pinned in a turtle position. Askren worked some lazy hammer fists to the sides of Hieron's head then went back to the knees to the ribs. Hieron managed to get up in a scramble then stuffed another takedown attempt. Hieron kept Askren at bay with a straight jab on the feet and connected on a clean uppercut. An eye poke to Hieron prompted a momentary halt to the contest. The last few seconds played out at range after the restart.
Hieron snapped Askren's head back with a nice looping left hand to start the final round. Hieron defended another takedown attempt then went back to his jab. Hieron continued to pepper Askren from range with his lead hand, weary of the takedown. A leg kick landed for Hieron followed by a right uppercut. A fresh Hieron looked to be gaining confidence as he backed a flagging Askren up under constant pressure. Hieron knocked Askren down with a spinning back kick to the chest then kicked at the champ's legs from a standing position. Herzog stepped in and allowed Askren to stand in the final minute. Hieron landed a right cross in the final seconds of the round and taunted Askren.
The official scorecards read 48-47 Hieron, 48-47 Askren, and 48-47 Askren, giving the champ the Split Decision victory.
Askren vs. Hieron Fight Predictions
Askren vs. Hieron Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- @NEWBREED04 went to @jimmyjohns for $1 customer appreciation day and the line was down the damn block so I decided against it
- 4 days, 21 hours, and 45 minutes
- RT @philbaroni: Is blowing up the toilet at the Dr. Office after eating Hot Chipolte Salad the waiting room has got to be stinking ha ha ha
- 4 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes
- Lol but love chic&wafflesRT @uselessgomez: @Jayhieron this is coming from the guy who likes his chicken plain with nothing on it...ha!
- 4 days and 9 minutes
- Thx :)RT @rhayes08: @Jayhieron hey man I was there to watch my friend and also watched ur fight. Ur badass and u have a new fan
- 4 days and 8 minutes
- Nah homie I think it's a tieRT @uselessgomez: @Jayhieron that chicken and waffles from the grand lux are way better
- 4 days and 2 minutes
- LolRT @DomonicS1986: @Jayhieron That guy you fought was a chump. Imma find his number and turn his shit off.
- 3 days, 22 hours, and 52 minutes
- LolRT @NativeMMA: @Jayhieron they should at least give out bonuses for "ROBBERY OF THE NITE"! you got srewed by the mask
- 2 days, 22 hours, and 30 minutes
- LolRT @Jstephan85: @Jayhieron That guy you fought wasn't on your level. I want to see a rematch. Get me his Cel number I'll disconnect it
- 2 days, 20 hours, and 18 minutes
- I'm gonna be a guest on @MMAjunkie radio this AM... If you wanna know how I feel about the fight tune in #peopleschamp
- 2 days, 20 hours, and 17 minutes
- AmytimeRT @MMAKingdom_JB: @Jayhieron your great bro..sorry u got screwed...we'd love to have you back on radio show when you got the time.
- 2 days, 10 hours, and 59 minutes
- Me too :)RT @philbaroni: I just want to tell my fans Thank You for all the support I'm so grateful. #SoAppreciative
- 2 days, 10 hours, and 56 minutes
- Me too :)RT @philbaroni: I'm eating a ton of junk food right now. #icantstop
- 2 days, 9 hours, and 50 minutes
- On a walk with our dog Gaia and we saw the occupy STL movement and I swear it is just a bunch of homeless people
- 2 days, 6 hours, and 44 minutes
- Thx sis.RT @themissjess: @Jayhieron you'll always be the champ in my eyes big bro!!!
- 2 days, 6 hours, and 18 minutes
- Hey I'm going to be on HD nets Inside MMA live from a haunted house in STL at 7pm. Tune in to check out myhalloween costume!
- 1 day, 22 hours, and 31 minutes
- CoolRT @MMAjunkieGeorge: @Jayhieron Tuesday 10-10:30am at @mandalaybay_LV. Cool?
- 1 day, 13 hours, and 1 minute
- When you gonna have me on the show?RT @MMAjunkieGeorge: RT @Jayhieron: PEOPLES CHAMP! GG: great fight, jay.
- 1 day, 9 hours, and 8 minutes
- Thx homieRT @kendallgrovemma: @Jayhieron watched your fight all i can say is what da fuck.u should be champ
- 1 day, 9 hours, and 3 minutes
- All dayRT @HandGrenade_SD: @Jayhieron Port Knox!!!!!! Strong Island !!!!!
- 1 day, 8 hours, and 47 minutes
- Just had the best pizza on the planet #Shakespeare's. who knows what I'm talking about?
- 1 day, 4 hours, and 56 minutes
- I need to dress up for Halloween tomorrow night I will be on insideMMA. Anyone have costume ideas?
- 23 hours and 27 minutes
- Everyone hit up @BjornRebney & @BellatorMMA & tell them u wanna see the rematch #campaign
- 15 hours and 52 minutes
- Thx homie!RT @JayGlazer: Hey @Jayhieron, you'll be back stronger brotha! All the NFL guys ya train w me love ya to death man!
- 14 hours and 51 minutes
- Thx big broRT @SugarRaySefo: @Jayhieron That's right bro u are n u will be back even stronger! Love u Bro!!
- 14 hours and 27 minutes
- Backyard & needed the finish.. I'm the PEOPLES CHAMP & I will be back stronger!!
- 14 hours and 21 minutes
- I jus wanna thank everyone 4 all the support. I love all y'all & appreciate the kind words. I feel I won the fight but I fought in his
- 14 hours and 19 minutes
- I think mizzou is the best 4-4 team in the country, lost to three top 10 teams and one top 25
- 11 minutes
- Jus finished weighing in... Ben asskrins breath smells like hot garbage!!!!!
- 22 hours and 19 minutes
- Easy cut today thx to the @TheDolceDiet I'm ready to weigh in & eat.. 2moro will be a gr8 day :)
- 1 day, 1 hour, and 11 minutes
- BIG S/O to my team @mastermitter @SugarRaySefo @Xtreme_Couture @robertdrysdale @TheDolceDiet & @Jake_Bonacci #HWPO
- 1 day, 21 hours, and 19 minutes
- All good out here in KC y'all, all settled in jus got to get some weight off tonight & then it's time to have some fun!
- 1 day, 21 hours, and 22 minutes
- Thx sweetie :)RT @thejadebryce: @Jayhieron can't wait to see your fight!!! :)
- 2 days, 13 hours, and 52 minutes
- @NEWBREED04 I agree blue egg is the bomb. I think we should get @dukeroufus to have them sponsor us. Free food for everyone
- 2 days, 20 hours, and 34 minutes
- Thx homieRT @JoeDArce: @Jayhieron let's get that title brother.
- 2 days, 22 hours, and 3 minutes
- Bellator Champ Ben Askren on Jay Hieron: ‘This is Going to be Very One-Sided’ - http://t.co/ee7EdhEP
- 2 days, 23 hours, and 44 minutes
- CoolRT @BklynBreeze: @Jayhieron. RT Cool send some pics when u get a chance.
- 3 days and 20 minutes
- @dannyboydownes @nickdiaz209 @ufc Hell yeah DANNY love the mean mugging
- 3 days and 35 minutes
- All good I got them.RT @BklynBreeze: @Jayhieron Whats up Jay. Shirts will be there before 3pm today.
- 3 days and 50 minutes
- First fight is getting the weight down... I'm not to far away with @TheDolceDiet on the team #HWPO
- 3 days, 3 hours, and 34 minutes
- Viacom buys Bellator, plans 2013 start on Spike: http://t.co/rgtOL1oZ via @AddThis
- 3 days, 4 hours, and 57 minutes
- on my way to Kansas City anyone know any sweet DG courses to play in Illinois or Iowa?
- 4 days and 43 minutes
- My DM doesn't work if you need to get in touch with me contact me directly
- 5 days, 1 hour, and 56 minutes
- Packers 7-0 looks like another great season for the green and gold.
- 5 days, 20 hours, and 17 minutes
- @Showtimepettis @hermannation Herman is the shocker popular down there in Orlando
- 1 week, 16 hours, and 9 minutes
- :)RT @VegasOrthopedic: @Jayhieron Absolutely. We're pulling for you!
- 1 week, 21 hours, and 40 minutes
- Read on mma.tv that Gatsalov signed with UFC that would be crazy if it was true!
- 1 week, 23 hours, and 15 minutes
- I am impressed with Lehighs recruiting class, don't think I have ever seen so many kids commit early. Plus the got a stud in Doug Vollaro
- 1 week, 1 day, 21 hours, and 5 minutes