Main Card | Middleweight · 185 lbs | MMA
Tim Kennedy defeats Robbie Lawler via 3 Round Decision
|13-3-0||Pro Record At Fight||18-7-0|
|Climbed to 14-3||Record After Fight||Fell to 18-8|
|-250 (Moderate Favorite)||Betting Odds||+210 (Moderate Underdog)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|Fort Bragg, North Carolina||Fighting out of||Coconut Creek, Florida|
|31 years, 10 months, 1 day||Age at Fight||29 years, 4 months, 3 days|
|185.0 lbs (83.9 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||185.0 lbs (83.9 kgs)|
|5'11" (181cm)||Height||5'11" (181cm)|
|74.0" (188cm)||Reach||74.0" (188cm)|
|Jackson Wink MMA||Gym|
- Bout Information
- Event: Strikeforce: Fedor vs Henderson
- Date: Saturday 07.30.2011 at 10:00 PM ET
- Referee: Herb Dean
- Venue: Sears Centre
- Enclosure: Cage
- Location: Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States
- Bout Billing: Main Card (fight 8 of 10)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 185 lbs (83.9 kg)
- TV Commentary: Gus Johnson, Mauro Ranallo, Frank Shamrock
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Gus Johnson
- Kennedy Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Lawler Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
Kennedy vs. Lawler Wiki Update Wiki
The third Showtime-televised bout from Strikeforce: Fedor vs Henderson featured "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler taking on Tim Kennedy in a middleweight contest. Kennedy entered the fight 4-1 in his previous Strikeforce matchups, while Lawler was 2-3 in his fights within the organization.
Kennedy connected first in the fight with an inside low kick. Lawler landed a nice right hand yet ate a kick to the groin in the process. The fighters resumed quickly. Kennedy shot in far from the outside and Lawler quickly sprawled out. Kennedy tried again and Lawler unloaded with a combination. Kennedy ended up on Lawler's back after a wild scramble with the fighters never quite set into a fixed position. Lawler made his way up and out of danger. A double leg takedown from Kennedy put Lawler down and Kennedy quickly moved from side control to full mount. Lawler scrambled out with seconds remaining in the round.
The second round started with a push kick to the leg from Kennedy. Lawler landed a nice uppercut as Kennedy shot in, opening up a cut that began spraying blood on the canvas. Kennedy tenaciously completed the takedown nonetheless, ending up in half-guard. Lawler regained full guard and landed a nice punch off of his back while Kennedy did his best to throw punches from top position. The round ended with some surprisingly back-and-forth striking exchanges in the guard.
Lawler landed a good right hand in the third as Kennedy appeared to have lost a step, looking tired as Lawler stalked him around the cage. The next two minutes saw little action. Lawler landed a nice uppercut as Kennedy attempted to move in and clinch up, yet overall it was a slower round than the first two. Kennedy landed a takedown late in the round and unloaded with a barrage of punches and elbows to close out the competitive and grueling fight.
The judges scored the bout 30-27 unanimously in favor of the winner, Tim Kennedy. Speaking to Gus Johnson in the post-fight interview, Kennedy commented, "I'm glad that the judges see this is just blood, I get cut and it happens... Robbie Lawler is amazing and a good athlete and he hits pretty hard."
Kennedy vs. Lawler Fight Predictions
Kennedy vs. Lawler Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- @jaredhammanMMA there is no place like home. Especially when home has lots of guns and claymores.
- 4 days
- Check out: Why Tim Kennedy Won\'t Stop Talking About the Military, Even if You Want Him To http://t.co/fX76vLm via @AOL
- 4 days
- I know I'm going to have to be at my best for this next fight. So it's back to the gym this morning. Pick up where I left off.
- 1 day
- I'm 100% fine. I have a couple cuts. Nothings broken, and I'll be back in the gym on Monday. Thanks @NationalGuard @Ranger_Up @Strikeforce
- 9 hours
- We are pulling up to the SEARS center. 2 hours till fight time. Talk to you guys after. @Strikeforce @Ranger_Up @NationalGuard
- 3 hours
- I'm off to go workout again. Get some rounds in with some local guys. I love fight week.
- 3 days
- I'm super excited @Strikeforce @Ufc just donated great tickets for some wounded soldiers that are coming to my fight.
- 3 days
- #imisswhen I could eat anything I wanted, and lift like a muscle head. This fighter thing can only last so long.
- 4 days
- I could have never made it through this fight camp without the help from @Fahrenheitnutri and @Ranger_Up thanks guys!
- 4 days
- Why does every weight cut feel like the worse one EVER? I could take a bath in BBQ right now.
- 5 days
- I have just begun planning my meal calendar for the 4 weeks after my fight. I'm going to be pushing 10000 calories a day.
- 6 days
- I finished my 2nd workout. Now I'm watching the All Army Combatives Tournament. It is astonishing how good these soldiers are.
- 7 days
- Tasteless gay bird food for breakfast, ran, then 6 rounds of pad work. One week till fight time.
- 7 days
- I am so glad that @003_osp is a weight class above me. That guy is a wrecking ball. @AlchemistMMA @strikeforce
- 7 days
- The free things you get when you send me the new Muscle and Fitness Magazine. $10off @Ranger_Up 15%off @Fahrenheitnutri
- 8 days
- @aaronrileymma How do you know Andrew. I LOVE that guy. You and him feel the same in the cage.
- 9 days