Main Card | Lightweight · 155 lbs | MMA
Nate Diaz defeats Takanori Gomi via Submission at 4:27 of Round 1
|13-7-0||Pro Record At Fight||32-7-0|
|Climbed to 14-7||Record After Fight||Fell to 32-8|
|-260 (Moderate Favorite)||Betting Odds||+215 (Moderate Underdog)|
|Stockton, California||Fighting out of||Tokyo, Japan|
|26 years, 5 months, 1 week, 1 day||Age at Fight||33 years, 2 days|
|156.0 lbs (70.8 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||155.0 lbs (70.3 kgs)|
|6'0" (183cm)||Height||5'8" (173cm)|
|76.0" (193cm)||Reach||70.0" (178cm)|
|Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu||Gym||Kugayama Rascal Gym|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage
- Date: Saturday 09.24.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Mario Yamasaki
- Venue: Pepsi Center
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Denver, Colorado, United States
- Bout Billing: Main Card (fight 6 of 10)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 155 lbs (70.3 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Diaz Total Disclosed Pay: $75,000
- Gomi Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
Diaz vs. Gomi Wiki Update Wiki
In the first UFC 135 bout to air on the pay per view main card, "The Fireball Kid" Takanori Gomi took on Nate Diaz in a lightweight contest. The former Pride lightweight champion Gomi entered the fight at 1-2 in his previous UFC fights, but at 32-7 overall. Diaz entered the fight at 8-5 in the UFC and 13-7 overall. Gomi had previously fought Nate's older brother Nick in 2007 in a classic fight that ended with the Japanese fighter losing via rare gogoplata submission, however the result was later overturned to a no contest after a positive drug test by Diaz.
Diaz landed the first big punch, dropping Gomi to his knees inside of the first minute. Gomi landed a good body shot but it was Diaz who was landing the more measured punches and combinations, picking Gomi apart in the early going. Diaz began to showboat, waving his hand in front of Gomi's face before dropping him with a punch, stuffing a takedown, and momentarily taking Gomi's back on the ground. The fighters got back to their feet with Gomi looking winded. Gomi got on top of Diaz and attempted to work some strikes, but he immediately found himself in an armbar, then a triangle choke, and then back to an armbar. Diaz wrenched the arm and forced the quick tapout from Gomi in one of the more impressive performances in his career.
The official end came at 4:27 of the first round via armbar for the winner, Nate Diaz. Speaking to Joe Rogan in the post-fight interview, Diaz commented, "I'm happy to get the win, he's dangerous, Takanori Gomi was Pride champion for years and was one of my favorite fighters and still is, so thank you Gomi."
Diaz vs. Gomi Fight Predictions
Diaz vs. Gomi Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Check this video out -- "The #1 Lightweight in the World" @GilbertMelendez Highlight by LayzieTh... http://t.co/hs8ekzwW via @youtube
- 1 day, 23 hours, and 23 minutes
- @Jakeshieldsajj all day Head up shields your the man kind of a early stoppage .. Jakes a soldier..
- 6 days, 13 hours, and 12 seconds