Preliminary Card | Welterweight · 170 lbs | MMA
Johny Hendricks defeats Mike Pierce via 3 Round Decision
|10-1-0||Pro Record At Fight||12-3-0||Climbed to 11-1||Record After Fight||Fell to 12-4|
|-150 (Slight Favorite)||Betting Odds||+125 (Slight Underdog)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|Dallas, Texas||Fighting out of||Portland, Oregon|
|27 years, 10 months, 4 days||Age at Fight||30 years, 11 months, 5 days|
|170.8 lbs (77.5 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||171.0 lbs (77.6 kgs)|
|5'9" (176cm)||Height||5'8" (173cm)|
|69.0" (175cm)||Reach||71.0" (180cm)|
|Team Takedown||Gym||Sports Lab|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC 133: Evans vs. Ortiz 2
- Date: Saturday 08.06.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Mario Yamasaki
- Venue: Wells Fargo Center
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Bout Billing: Preliminary Card (fight 3 of 11)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Prelims, Shown on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Pierce Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Hendricks Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
Pierce vs. Hendricks Wiki Update Wiki
Pierce and Hendricks entered the cage for the third bout of the evening in a welterweight tilt.
Hendricks came out with a kick that Pierce blocked to start the first. Hendricks caught Pierce in a thai clinch and landed a nice knee before Pierce separated. Hendricks shot in for a takedown that Pierce defended and Pierce landed a pair of punches on the separation. Pierce landed a nice leg kick that was answered by Hendricks. Hendricks went back to the thai clinch and landed a knee to the body before the two were locked in a bit of a stalemate until separating. Hendricks shot in on a takedown and got it but Pierce got back to his feet immediately and escaped the clinch. Pierce landed a pair of hard punches but Hendricks landed a good knee to the body from the clinch. Hendricks connected on a knee as Pierce came in then landed another from the clinch before pushing Pierce into the cage in the final minute. Pierce landed a good elbow on the break then a good inside leg kicks. Hendricks landed a good uppercut and some knees that were blocked in the final seconds of the round.
Pierce came out aggressive, pumping the jab in the second round. Hendricks caught Pierce in another clinch but Pierce landed a hard uppercut that put Hendricks on the defensive. Pierce clinched Hendricks and walked him toward the cage before Hendricks separated. Pierce defended a takedown and pushed Hendricks back into the cage, landing a short uppercut in the clinch. The ref separated the fighters and Pierce defended another takedown with a front headlock on the restart. The fighters separated and Hendricks landed a jumping knee to the body before the two exchanged punches from close range. Pierce landed a good left/right combo to a slowing Hendricks. Hendricks hit Pierce with another knee from the thai clinch, although it was blocked. Hendricks landed some partially blocked punches and went for a head kick before Pierce went back on the offensive. Hendricks went for a takedown against the cage that Pierce defended up until the bell.
Hendricks attacked with punches to start the third but Pierce backed him up and clinched him against the cage before separating. Pierce landed a right hand and then a short elbow from the clinch. Hendricks went for another takedown that Pierce defended with a front headlock. Pierce backed off then backed Hendricks into the cage in search of a takedown. Hendricks managed to create space and landed a couple of hooks before being slammed onto his back away from the cage. Hendricks tried to work a rubber guard, but Pierce was solid on top and worked some short elbows from Hendricks's guard. Hendricks was warned for an illegal upkick (replays showed it was legal) then he landed a solid knee to Pierce's face on the restart. Hendricks struggled for a takedown in the final seconds of the round but was unable to get it.
The official scorecards read 29-28 Pierce, 29-28 Hendricks, and 29-28 Hendricks, giving him the Split Decision victory.
Pierce vs. Hendricks Fight Predictions
Pierce vs. Hendricks Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- @chadmendes two carp that's all having a hard time getting close to the banks bc of the lakes are down
- 5 days
- So tired this morning didn't get home until 5:30 last night from bow fishing why did I stay up that late stupid lol
- 5 days
- Hey everyone there is a @BleuEdmondson concert tomorrow in Alvarado Texas. I can't was for it and hope to see some of y'all there too.
- 5 days
- “@paigesdad4: @joeanton @JohnyHendricks @TeamPalooka DONE! Happy Bearded Hendricks wins again at UFC 133! http://t.co/LwRVMEG”
- 3 days
- @roynelsonmma @carlalovesmma lol not mine anymore had to shave it off but next time we meet would have to have a picture of the two lol
- 2 days
- Thank u @BleuEdmondson for my walkout song and anyone who wants it get it bc it's a great song
- 2 days
- Also would like to say thank u to @UFC133 and the fans in Philly y'all where great and thank u for ur support as well
- 2 days
- Thank u for sponsoring me @UFC 133@Headgear@revgear@Training Mask@Palookateam@Wounded Warrior Project @VII A.D. @Century MMA @Fight Ribbon
- 2 days
- Lol thanks guys for all the support. Means alot and can't wait together my next fight. Man what a life
- 10 hours
- Join me, @TitoOrtiz, and Bruce Buffer at Zee Bar tonight for the official #UFC133 after party!
- 6 hours
- In the bus getting ready to roll to the Wells Fargo Center with @ThePhilthy1 @coachjamiehuey and @sonnench.
- 9 minutes