Main Card | Tournament Quarter-Finals | 170 lbs | MMA
Rick Hawn defeats Jim Wallhead via 3 Round Decision
|9-0-0||Pro Record At Fight||21-5-0|
|Climbed to 10-0||Record After Fight||Fell to 21-6|
|-140 (Slight Favorite)||Betting Odds||+115 (Near Even)|
|United States||Nationality||United Kingdom|
|Dracut, Massachusetts||Fighting out of||Leicestershire, England|
|34 years, 5 months, 4 days||Age at Fight||26 years, 11 months, 5 days|
|170.6 lbs (77.4 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||170.0 lbs (77.1 kgs)|
|5'9" (176cm)||Height||5'10" (178cm)|
|71.0" (180cm)||Reach||74.0" (188cm)|
|Sityodtong Boston||Gym||Team Rough House|
- Bout Information
- Event: Bellator 35
- Date: Saturday 03.05.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Jason McCoy
- Venue: Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino
- Enclosure: Cage
- Location: Lemoore, California, United States
- Bout Billing: Main Card (fight 4 of 8)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
- TV Commentary: Sean Wheelock, Jimmy Smith
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Jimmy Smith
- Hawn Total Disclosed Pay: $20,000
- Wallhead Total Disclosed Pay: $10,000
- Tournament: Bellator Season 4 Welterweight
- Tournament Round: Quarter-Finals
Hawn vs. Wallhead Wiki Update Wiki
In the second televised bout of Bellator 35 and a tournament quarter-final bout, "Judo" Jim Wallhead took on Rick Hawn in a matchup of fighters with Judo foundations.
Hawn came forward fast to begin the fight, throwing the jab and immediately clinching up. Breaking free, Wallhead threw a nice low kick and counter right hook. Hawn launched a right head kick that was blocked, and the pace of exchanges was brisk. Hawn landed his second powerful low kick and appeared to be landing more and controlling the pace of the fight. Wallhead landed a low kick of his own but it was Hawn who hit significantly more leg strikes. The close round ended with it still being anyone's fight.
Wallhead landed a low kick that caught Hawn off-balance to begin round two. Hawn appeared to beat Wallhead to the punch in many of the exchanges, yet neither fighter landed any massive strikes that put the other in danger. Wallhead looked for a pair of takedowns that Hawn easily shrugged off late in the round.
Blood trickled down from Wallhead's eye early in the third round as the fighters continued with their kickboxing-focused fight. Wallhead landed a nice low kick and Hawn continued throwing single punches and jabs. Wallhead's mouthpiece came out, causing a brief pause. On the restart, Wallhead looked for a takedown yet Hawn reversed and smoothly put Wallhead onto his back. Wallhead escaped to his feet with a little over a minute remaining in the fight. Hawn appeared to edge out yet another round in what ended up a tactical affair.
The judges scored the bout 29-28, 29-28, and 30-27 unanimously for Rick Hawn. Speaking to Jimmy Smith in the post-fight interview, Hawn commented "Everyone knows how much I do in Judo and he's got a background in it... my boxing's getting better... I'm improving every time and you guys can see that."
Hawn vs. Wallhead Fight Predictions
Hawn vs. Wallhead Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Just had a bad boy chinese with me mrs,salt chilli prawns n chicken,spare ribs singapore rice curry sauce n crackers hmmmm glad to be home
- 2 days
- Beggining the long journey back to the UK,just heading to LAX fly at 6pm can't wait to be home!
- 19 hours
- I would just like 2 thank every1 for there support and I'm sorry for my performance,I just didn't feel right tonight,so sorry joanna x
- 1 hour
- Just finished my urine test for the commision,was still dehydrated so proper had to force it lol!!!
- 20 hours
- Only 4hrs till weighing!I am well hungry but only got couple of lbs to go so all good!can't wait for war 2moro night!
- 1 day
- Right people just done my pre-fight tv interviews,rick hawn reckons he gonna retire me!stupid fucker!
- 2 days