Preliminary Card | Welterweight · 170 lbs | MMA
Igor Gracie defeats John Salgado via Submission at 3:04 of Round 2
|2-2-0||Pro Record At Fight||4-4-1||Climbed to 3-2||Record After Fight||Fell to 4-5|
|-270 (Moderate Favorite)||Betting Odds||+220 (Moderate Underdog)|
|New York City, New York||Fighting out of||New York City, New York|
|31 years, 1 day||Age at Fight|
|170.8 lbs (77.5 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||170.0 lbs (77.1 kgs)|
|5'11" (180cm)||Height||5'10" (178cm)|
|Renzo Gracie Academy||Gym||Team Bombsquad|
- Bout Information
- Event: Strikeforce: Fedor vs Silva
- Date: Saturday 02.12.2011 at 10:00 PM ET
- Referee: Kevin Mulhall
- Venue: IZOD Center
- Enclosure: Cage
- Location: East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States
- Bout Billing: Preliminary Card (fight 4 of 10)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
- TV Commentary: Bas Rutten & Michael Schiavello (HDNet), Gus Johnson, Mauro Ranallo, Frank Shamrock (Showtime)
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Prelims
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Ron Kruck (HDNet), Gus Johnson (Showtime)
- Gracie Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Salgado Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
Gracie vs. Salgado Wiki Update Wiki
In an HDNet-televised preliminary card bout, John Salgado took on Igor Gracie. Both fighters were making their Strikeforce debuts.
Gracie came forward with low kicks to start, and clinched as soon as Salgado attacked. Gracie wrestled the fight to the mat, slammed Salgado onto the ground, and immediately moved to take Salgado's back. Gracie attacked with a rear naked choke attempt yet Salgado defended. A reverse head-butt from Salgado earned him a stern warning from the referee yet the fight continued in the same position. Gracie held position tightly with a body triangle and softened up Salgado with punches. Salgado survived the difficult position for four minutes, even scoring with some punches as the round expired.
Gracie landed a double leg takedown early in round two and worked his way to full mount. Gracie dominated the action on the ground, moving to Salgado's back, then to full mount again, and then defly locked on an arm triangle choke. Escaping to the side to lock in the choke, Salgado's eyes grew larger and his face redder until he passed out from the choke. The referee immediately called the bout, giving Gracie the impressive submission victory.
Speaking to Ron Kruck after the bout, Gracie commented, "I knew he was ready to trust his ground, that's why I thought we would match up so well... training camp went great... I didn't want to wear my arms out too much but I kept it tight until the referee separated us... I want to fight consistently every 3 or 4 months."
Gracie vs. Salgado Fight Predictions
Gracie vs. Salgado Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- RT @graciemag_br: Veja como foi a vitória de Igor Gracie no Strikeforce http://bit.ly/eXxXvd
- 4 days
- RT @ground_fighter: Gracie Adventure Camp March 14-20 in CostaRica w/ @igorgracie @kyragracie @RollesGracie (cont) http://tl.gd/8rrrb1
- 3 days
- Thanks for having me on! RT @MMAWeeklycom: MMAWeekly Radio tonight: Chris Lytle, Tim Kennedy, John Cholish, Igor Gracie. Tune in at 9pm ET.
- 2 days
- Thanks Amal! Can u send ur phone as DM? Thanks brother RT @amaleaston: @igorgracie, awesome fight champ, super fired up for you!
- 1 day
- RT @martinrooney1: Big Congrats to Igor Gracie in his strikeforce win last night. Igor has been with TFW since (cont) http://tl.gd/8qc6si
- 21 hours
- RT @MMADIEHARDS: Igor Gracie talks fighting close to home, head butt, & representing the Gracie name (cont) http://tl.gd/8qc6ik
- 21 hours
- RT @Bryceworld Ill be training w @rogergracie @RollesGracie @igorgracie @GregorGracie @kyragracie in Costa Rica just missing @RenzoGracieBJJ
- 16 hours
- Thanks @tokyo5brand and Neocell @Mo_Barazi for sponsoring me! Hanging out at the @tokyo5brand suite http://plixi.com/p/76865626
- 34 minutes
- Thanks everyone for the huge support preparing me for this fight. It's an individual sport but impossible to do w out ur team behind u.
- 27 minutes
- Thank u! RT @DelG84: Looking forward to see the new gereration of Gracies fighting.Good luck to @igorgracie
- 2 days
- Thanks, of course RT @JohnCholish: @igorgracie happy bday brother! Spa tomorrow for recovery day?
- 7 days