Co-Main Event | UFC Featherweight Championship | 145 lbs
José Aldo defeats Mark Hominick via 5 Round Decision
|18-1-0||Pro Record At Fight||20-8-0|
|Climbed to 19-1||Record After Fight||Fell to 20-9|
|-600 (Huge Favorite)||Betting Odds||+450 (Heavy Underdog)|
|Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Fighting out of||London, Ontario|
|24 years, 7 months, 3 weeks||Age at Fight||28 years, 9 months, 1 week, 1 day|
|145.0 lbs (65.8 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||145.3 lbs (65.9 kgs)|
|5'7" (170cm)||Height||5'8" (173cm)|
|70.0" (178cm)||Reach||68.5" (174cm)|
|Nova União||Gym||Adrenaline MMA Training & Fitness|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC 129: St. Pierre vs. Shields
- Date: Saturday 04.30.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: John McCarthy
- Venue: Rogers Centre
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Bout Billing: Co-Main Event (fight 11 of 12)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 145 lbs (65.8 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Aldo Total Disclosed Pay: $129,000
- Hominick Total Disclosed Pay: $129,000
- Title on Line: UFC Featherweight Championship
- Belt Status Before Fight: Held by Aldo
Aldo vs. Hominick Wiki Update Wiki
Featherweight phenomenon Jose Aldo overcame a difficult weight cut and an apparent case of the flu to outlast a spirited title challenge from Mark Hominick in UFC 129's Co-Main Event. It was the toughest fight to date for Aldo in his reign as the WEC and UFC Featherweight Champion.
Aldo came out sharp in round one, out boxing Hominick, whose strength is boxing, and landing the best power shots of the opening frame. Aldo looked the quicker of the two fighters and his head movement was giving Hominick problems. His best combination, a left to the body or head followed by a right whip kick to the legs of Hominick, landed repeatedly to good effect.
Aldo looked well in control until he came out for round two, suddenly appearing to have little left in the tank. Hominick came on strong in the second round, beginning to land to the head of the champion and find his range as the champion's footwork had slowed considerably. Aldo fought through the onslaught, however, mixing in takedowns to slow Hominick's momentum and keep the round close.
By round three Aldo appeared to have dug deep and restored some of the quickness and punching power that had departed him. Both men took turns scoring, but Aldo's punching power was superior, and he was the only one of the two to mix in takedowns. Round four was more of the same, and as they entered the fifth frame he was well ahead on the scorecards.
Hominick, meanwhile, was seriously busted up. A major hematoma on his left forehead had swelled grotesquely, to the point that Referee "Big" John McCarthy had called a stop to the action to have it checked out. Hominick was also bleeding profusely. But to Hominick's credit, round five proved his best round of the fight. He landed in top position in Aldo's guard for the first time in the fight, and suddenly it became clear that Aldo had no gas left in the tank. He could not hip escape, and could barely utilize wrist control to slow Hominick's punches. The Toronto crowd rallied behind Hominick, a Canadian native, rising to a delirium pitch as Hominick ground-and-pounded desperately against the clock. At a few moments Aldo appeared to be wilting, but he gamely hung on until the end of the round to secure a Unanimous Decision victory.
The gutsy performance by both men -- Aldo for fighting through an off night physically, Hominick for battling through blood and horrific swelling -- marked the fight as an instant featherweight classic.
Aldo vs. Hominick Fight Predictions
Aldo vs. Hominick Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Everyone has been bugging me, so hear you go! I am fine, look worse than I feel. Doc says I am 100%. http://yfrog.com/gyy8sosj
- 4 days, 4 hours, and 24 minutes
- Watched the fight for the first time. The knockdown in the 3rd really took the momentum building. Congrats to the Champ @josealdojunior @ufc
- 3 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes
- Beauty day. Let's hope this summer is on the way! Good luck to teammate Jesse Gross fighting for the WRECK 155lb Title this weekend.
- 3 days, 18 hours, and 11 minutes
- Lots of people are asking. Still waiting on baby. Anytime now!
- 3 days, 5 hours, and 36 minutes
- Lunch meeting then back to gym to make sure everyone is still training hard!
- 2 days, 19 hours, and 33 minutes
- Valeu galera pelo apoio carinho de todos so tenho que agradecer a vcs por cada mensagem que recebi de todos vlw tamus juntos
- 2 days, 7 hours, and 57 minutes
- I wanna thank everybody for the everything! Thank you for everything you guys have done for me! See you!!!
- 2 days, 7 hours, and 55 minutes
- Sorry I missed the #MMAHour with @arielhelwani today. I was held up with Dr appointment with my wife. Sorry again, hope to be on next week.
- 2 days, 7 hours, and 54 minutes
- Great time with some of the Thamesford friends tonight! I love my friends.
- 1 day, 7 hours, and 11 minutes
- Bunch of people are asking, wife is healthy. Thanks for support and concern. Baby due anyday! Super Excited!
- 18 hours and 3 minutes
- Good morning everyone! Thanks for all the support. I am fine, little swollen (of course) but hungry to go back, get stronger and build back!
- 17 hours and 7 minutes
- Thanks for all th support! I came up short but gave it my all. Thank you all.
- 8 hours and 40 minutes
- Today is the day! I appreciate all the support everyone has been giving me. Thanks you.
- 6 hours and 43 minutes
- Time to eat, recover and rest for tomorrow! Opportunities like this come once in a lifetime! I am prepared.
- 22 hours and 52 minutes
- The fans are going CRAZY! Its only the weighs ins and its loader and larger than a Vegas card. Wow! #UFC129 #History
- 1 day and 31 minutes
- #UFC129 Walk Out Shirt, Thanks @headrushbrand http://yfrog.com/h6f2bylj
- 1 day, 19 hours, and 3 minutes
- #UFC129 Fight Shorts Thanks @headrushbrand @Ticats @TicatsPR Labor's Union @atcmma @eckomma DuraPro http://yfrog.com/h4lkwjuj
- 1 day, 19 hours, and 8 minutes
- #UFC129 Fight Shorts Thanks @headrushbrand @Ticats @TicatsPR Labor's Union @atcmma @eckomma DuraPro http://yfrog.com/h2hh9qrj
- 1 day, 19 hours, and 8 minutes
- #UFC129 Banner! Thanks to @headrushbrand @Ticats @TicatsPR Labor's Union, @atcmma @eckomma Dura Pro http://yfrog.com/h461lmxj
- 1 day, 19 hours, and 12 minutes
- One more light workout, massage and meal for the day. #UFC129 getting SO close! #UFCCentral #UFC
- 1 day, 21 hours, and 39 minutes
- One day closer! Phone media then public workouts at 130pm ET! #UFC129 #UFC
- 2 days, 6 hours, and 59 minutes
- Getting some acupuncture work done! Preparing for battle! #UFC129
- 2 days, 20 hours, and 6 minutes
- Getting ready for pre fight interview with @ufc Here is the link to new facebook page: www.facebook.com/markhominick
- 2 days, 22 hours, and 42 minutes
- On the way to @ufc press conference with @Randy_Couture @GeorgesStPierre and crew. Media has been in HUGE support of the fight! #UFC129
- 3 days, 4 hours, and 7 minutes
- Ticats getting lots of love from @tsn1050 radio on my segment! @TicatsPR
- 3 days, 8 hours, and 3 minutes
- Doing prefight media this morning, @CP24, now off to @BTToronto
- 3 days, 8 hours, and 8 minutes
- Finished workout, simulating the time I will be fighting. Time for bed! Thanks for all the support everyone, I really appreciate it! Thanks!
- 3 days, 16 hours, and 29 minutes
- Heading to airport for #UFC129 with @ShawnTompkins. Quick 20 min flight to Toronto! Nice an easy!!
- 4 days, 6 hours, and 14 minutes
- Sincere thank you to all of my supporters! http://www.youtube.com/user/AdrenalineMMAdotcom #headrushbrand #eckomma #ticatspr #UFC129 #UFC
- 4 days, 16 hours, and 38 minutes
- Light pad work and drilling tonight. Pack and fly out in morning. #UFC129
- 4 days, 21 hours, and 21 minutes
- Thank you greatly to all sponsors for fight! @headrushbrand @eckomma @mikeohmike @atcmma @TicatsPR, Labors Union. Really appreciate support!
- 5 days, 3 hours, and 33 minutes
- What a beauty night! Hope many got some time with family and friends for Easter.
- 5 days, 21 hours, and 12 minutes
- At #BlueJays game with @seanpierson and @ShowdownJoe. Wearing my Ticats Hats in Argo territory! @TicatsPR
- 1 week, 23 hours, and 33 minutes
- Finished training, off to #BlueJays game to throw opening pitch!
- 1 week, 1 day, 2 hours, and 13 minutes
- Time for bed. Morning strength and conditioning final lift, technical grappling, then throwing opening pitch at #TorontoBlueJays game! #jays
- 1 week, 1 day, 16 hours, and 54 minutes
- Check out www.sportsnet.ca for latest blog. #UFC #UFC129
- 1 week, 2 days, 17 hours, and 36 minutes