Main Card | Light Heavyweight · 205 lbs | MMA
Jon Jones defeats Ryan Bader via Submission at 4:20 of Round 2
|11-1-0||Pro Record At Fight||12-0-0|
|Climbed to 12-1||Record After Fight||Fell to 12-1|
|-295 (Moderate Favorite)||Betting Odds||+250 (Moderate Underdog)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|Albuquerque, New Mexico||Fighting out of||Tempe, Arizona|
|23 years, 6 months, 2 weeks, 3 days||Age at Fight||27 years, 7 months, 4 weeks, 1 day|
|206.0 lbs (93.4 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||205.0 lbs (93.0 kgs)|
|6'4" (194cm)||Height||6'2" (188cm)|
|84.5" (215cm)||Reach||73.0" (185cm)|
|Jackson Wink MMA||Gym||Power MMA|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC 126: Silva vs. Belfort
- Date: Saturday 02.05.2011 at 10:00 PM ET
- Referee: Herb Dean
- Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
- Bout Billing: Main Card (fight 9 of 11)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 205 lbs (93.0 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Jones Total Disclosed Pay: $215,000
- Bader Total Disclosed Pay: $20,000
Jones vs. Bader Wiki Update Wiki
The scintillating Jonny "Bones" Jones continued his meteoric assault on the Light Heavyweight division crown with a seemingly effortless tapout victory over Ryan Bader in the second round at UFC 126. Bader was only the latest in a series of highly respected 205 pound opponents, including Matt Hamill and Brandon Vera, that Jones did not so much fight as simply stroll through, using a dazzling combination of wrestling and riotously unpredictable striking attacks to make victory appear a foregone conclusion.
The greatest difference with Jones's UFC 126 outing was the increased level of hype surrounding him as he entered the Octagon. Jones had clearly broken through in terms of public awareness between his last bout, a free televised affair against Vladimir Matyushenko on Spike, and the current fight with Bader on Pay Per View from Las Vegas. A crackle could be felt in the arena as Jones, the new "it" fighter, entered. He was visibly nervous stepping inside the cage.
Once the fight began, however, Jones was once again a tour de force of MMA virtuosity, completely shutting down Bader's offense over the ensuing 9:20 of action. Bader, for his part, entered the Octagon undefeated, with what was believed to be the superior wrestling of the two men. He sought to back Jones up in the early going with aggressive standup and big overhand strikes. Jones measured his standup strikes carefully and did not open up excessively. But he wrestled Bader to the canvas more than once in round one, where Bader's work on the bottom in half guard was leaving openings for Jones to attack with a variety of front chokes, including Guillotines and D'Arces.
That theme spelled the end of the fight in round two, as Bader once again discovered himself foundering helplessly on the bottom in half guard as Jones worked for chokes. The fight-ending submission from Jones officially came at 4:20 of round two as a Guillotine forced Bader to tap. Bader had connected with a total of one solid punch in the entirety of the fight, a left hook to Jones midway through. It was his only bright spot on a night in which he was completely outclassed.
The drama continued in the Octagon immediately after Jones's victory as he was informed by ringside announcer Joe Rogan during the post-fight interview that his close friend and teammate Rashad Evans, who had been scheduled to fight Mauricio "Shogun" Rua for the title, had been forced off the card due to a knee injury. Jones was being granted an immediate title shot in his place. An overjoyed Jones fell to his knees in thanks. Shogun entered the cage moments later and welcomed the challenge. Reports were that Ticketmaster phone lines lit up within moments of the live announcement as fans sought a chance to see the UFC's apparent next big thing fight for the title in person.
Jones vs. Bader Fight Predictions
Videos & Highlights
Misc | Gracie Breakdown Video: Jones vs Bader report dead link
In this edition of the Gracie Breakdown, Jon Jones' victory over Ryan Bader is analyzed. Video also includes analysis of Jake Ellenberger vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha.
Interview | Ariel Helwani Post-Fight with Jon Jones report dead link
Jon Jones discusses his victory over Ryan Bader and looking forward to fighting "Shogun" Rua for the title in this video.
Interview | Karyn Bryant Interviews Jon Jones report dead link
In this video following the UFC 126 pre-fight press conference, Karyn Bryant interviews Jon Jones three days before his fight with Ryan Bader.
Interview | Jon Jones Looks Forward to UFC 126 report dead link
Jon Jones is interviewed from the MMA World Expo in New York 3 months ahead of his UFC 126 bout against Ryan Bader in this video.
Interview | Ryan Bader Ahead of UFC 126 Bout report dead link
Ryan Bader talks to TrainingRoomAZ.com about the long reach and unorthodox style of Jon Jones, and how he's been training for the fight in this video.
Jones vs. Bader Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- I'll be a guest fighter @ufc in Australia in a couple weeks. See you Aussies again, had a great time last year.
- 4 days, 14 hours, and 38 minutes
- Yep great guy RT@jeredbare: @ryanbader I used to train with Kiko France in Missouri. Is he there now?
- 4 days, 1 hour, and 16 minutes
- Very true RT@FightGirlUFC: And economical! RT @ryanbader: Costco polish dogs are absolutely delicious.
- 4 days, 1 hour, and 15 minutes
- Happy Bday! RT@KYLE_PEARSON: @ryanbader Its my birthday! Wish me happy birthday please?
- 3 days, 14 hours, and 20 minutes
- New PowerMMA & Fitness truck thanks to Earnhardt Ford, check it out and go buy some cars at any Earnhardts http://yfrog.com/h2legumj
- 3 days, 14 hours, and 14 minutes
- I order to ever b1 Ill have to beat a few RT @Bajonero: @jonnybones what are your thoughts on fighting a #legend ?
- 2 days, 19 hours, and 55 minutes
- :-) oooh yea baby, will you be a witness? RT @pedromfdo: @jonnybones are u ready to be finally tested against a living legend?
- 2 days, 19 hours, and 52 minutes
- Thought id get a lil color with @artj97 this morning haha jk http://plixi.com/p/75776131
- 2 days, 16 hours, and 48 minutes
- Kyle Kingsbury @Kingsbu looked great with his 29 second TKO on Spike this weekend even while running a bad fever. Follow @Kingsbu
- 2 days, 16 hours, and 37 minutes
- All you guys are awesome, thanks for the support. Never have felt like that out there, will come back a new (cont) http://tl.gd/8mo932
- 2 days, 16 hours, and 31 minutes
- I'm not sure we haven't designed it yetRT @Steev_Singo: @jonnybones when are you going to release your first sneakers?
- 2 days and 11 minutes
- :-) RT @JimiDevine: @jonnybones best of luck bringing the belt back to the USA, Flying Kimura Please.
- 2 days and 10 minutes
- At Miami beach with big bro @Artj97 for a 3 day vacation! @attPitbull we're out here
- 1 day, 21 hours, and 26 minutes
- Just signed the shogun contract :-) http://plixi.com/p/75603775
- 1 day, 21 hours, and 15 minutes
- I want to thank my sponsors for their support @formathletics @xyience @luxorlv @kswiss @CBKT @jacksonsmma @cmymma @maxmusclenm
- 1 day, 5 hours, and 19 minutes
- Compliments like this is the reason I fight RT @FSK9: @jonnybones God speed brother! You are a great example, (cont) http://tl.gd/8kk70a
- 6 hours and 21 minutes
- Check this video out -- "Our Deepest Fear" by Marianne Williamson http://t.co/YpVuhVy via @youtube
- 6 hours and 56 minutes
- I love you guys too RT @sonsofdink: @jonnybones good luck tomorrow, endicott, ny loves you!
- 22 hours and 30 minutes
- One of my post weigh in meals. Probably have a couple tonight http://yfrog.com/h7g6pkoj
- 22 hours and 31 minutes
- Lord God I just love you and I thank you for what your doing in my life, I pray that u just let your will be done.. Amen
- 22 hours and 56 minutes
- My @formathletics walkout shirt is available @lvfightshop and @luxorlv in the fight shop tomorrow morning!! Thanks guys! @bill_feldberg
- 23 hours and 23 minutes
- Kicking back in my hotel room, chilling with my little bro @ChanJones99
- 1 day, 1 hour, and 22 minutes
- Sitting backstage waiting for weigh ins. Worst part of it! @ufc http://yfrog.com/h0pmaegj
- 1 day, 3 hours, and 44 minutes
- Heating up some salmon on a hot plate in the room and eating a salad from whole foods. Sick of the casino food.
- 1 day, 22 hours, and 10 minutes
- Down at 210 lbs. Easy cut. Here with boxing coach dynamite and @danbrandt80 Thai coach. Tomorrow just get my (cont) http://tl.gd/8jc2j7
- 1 day, 22 hours, and 50 minutes
- All the guys before the @Ufc press conference in UFC office http://yfrog.com/h4c57jkj
- 1 day, 22 hours, and 53 minutes
- It was my pleasure RT @ThrowLeatherFW: @jonnybones thanks for signing taking pics today for us fans after the publick workout #gooddude
- 2 days, 1 hour, and 27 minutes
- Oh wow, I wonder if all baders opponents gets comments like this haha thanks buddy RT @BigPhillyStyles: (cont) http://tl.gd/8j97tl
- 2 days, 1 hour, and 42 minutes
- Mastering His Universe - Mastering His Universe http://t.co/rUkDBoT
- 2 days, 3 hours, and 42 minutes
- Hoping everyone loved their gifts today at the open workout. :)
- 2 days, 4 hours, and 35 minutes
- Feel good and close to weight, won't be bad at all. Open workout on UFC.com at 1 PST.
- 2 days, 7 hours, and 40 minutes
- Nope :-)RT @eaglesirish5: @jonnybones Any chance of you telling the world what song you are walking into the cage too??
- 2 days, 22 hours, and 49 minutes
- Lol RT @malkikawa: @damndonkey peeling @jonnybones orange http://plixi.com/p/74387920
- 2 days, 23 hours, and 2 minutes
- Nope :-)RT @ReidWisdomB: I'm tweeting @jonnybones to see if he'll reply. Fingers crossed!
- 3 days, 1 hour, and 3 minutes
- INSANE!! RT @davidmiklofsky: Hey @jonnybones, check this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFrSkEdACnU
- 3 days, 1 hour, and 24 minutes
- People wondering about my face off and no eye contact, I've been doing that since day 1. Nothing disrespectful to my opponent
- 3 days, 2 hours, and 31 minutes
- Thanks a lot manRT @PnPMMA: @jonnybones go jonny we are all routing for you. You have a good team and deserve it.
- 4 days, 7 hours, and 52 minutes
- I'll be signing and sending everything back as soon as I get back to new mexicoRT @deeakay316: @jonnybones (cont) http://tl.gd/8hm6u9
- 4 days, 8 hours, and 8 minutes
- Just found out that I weigh 216lbs and I have 5.9% body fat! I have absolutely no doubt in my fitness nor cardio thanks up to @CBKT
- 4 days, 8 hours, and 22 minutes
- Thanks Camozzi RT@ChrisCamozzi: @ryanbader goodluck bro. You got this
- 5 days, 2 hours, and 41 minutes
- Yes! Thanks Bobby RT@bobbyrazak: @ryanbader kill it bro the king is dead long live the king
- 5 days, 2 hours, and 41 minutes
- That's 1 of my all time favorites, that got my fingertips sweaty.. thank u :-)RT @UnCrowndChamp: @jonnybones (cont) http://tl.gd/8h1qu7
- 5 days, 4 hours, and 33 minutes
- Getting one last workout in here @powermmafitness before I leave tomorrow for @UFC 126 in Vegas!
- 5 days, 4 hours, and 35 minutes
- RT @TKRelz: http://plixi.com/p/73734950 @jonnybones the heck is that 0_o http://plixi.com/p/73735838
- 5 days, 21 hours, and 5 minutes
- :-) RT @RICOGRITT: I like that!!!!“@SugaRashadEvans: @jonnybones thanks my brutha! U feel ready! Now go show (cont) http://tl.gd/8ghsr2
- 5 days, 21 hours, and 7 minutes
- This thing is a life saver, Keeps me Loose http://plixi.com/p/73734950
- 5 days, 21 hours, and 9 minutes
- Just kidding happy birthday @cmfoster05 RT @MMABELIEVE: So nobody wants to RT a Happy bday to my boy @cmfoster05 (cont) http://tl.gd/8ghaaa
- 5 days, 21 hours, and 45 minutes
- @SugaRashadEvans your wrestling and grappling transitions felt extremely smooth tonight, Good work SWEET&LOW haha
- 5 days, 22 hours, and 1 minute
- Nice! RT @actionjaxon666: @jonnybones Good luck from the UK for Saturday Jon :) we're staying up late to see you spank Bader!
- 5 days, 22 hours, and 6 minutes
- Here at ASU wrestling dual meet. Anthony Robles last home dual ASU wrestling Ranked 2 in the nation and undefeated http://yfrog.com/hsxz1itj
- 6 days, 4 hours, and 37 minutes
- Thanks 4 pullin 4 me RT @Rachelle_Leah: Had an amazing hike & interview w @jonnybones ! Such a genuine, classy guy. The kind u want to win
- 6 days, 5 hours, and 52 minutes
- Leah, Brendan and I acting a fool in the desert. http://plixi.com/p/73639057
- 6 days, 5 hours, and 58 minutes
- Perfect sunday with amazing people http://plixi.com/p/73634026
- 6 days, 6 hours, and 32 minutes
- True! RT@FilthyTomLawlor: @ryanbader @effyescudero it could have been a recliner that popped out and helped him stretch?
- 6 days, 8 hours, and 9 minutes
- Couches? A couch helped you train? Haha jk nice job Efrian RT @effyescudero: Thanks to all my friends/fans/training partners/couches
- 6 days, 8 hours, and 31 minutes
- Head to Tilted Kilt on Warner rd in Tempe, AZ now for the fights. Find John Ivey and mention this tweet and get a signed poster.
- 1 week and 49 minutes
- Alright heading to @JacksonsMMA to spend some time with the cage
- 1 week, 3 hours, and 52 minutes
- My daughters rocking their new @CBKT shirts http://plixi.com/p/73395965
- 1 week, 3 hours, and 57 minutes
- Just finished doing a little quick 1 hour signing for @CBKT and my good friends at max muscle of albuquerque http://plixi.com/p/73388990
- 1 week, 4 hours, and 25 minutes
- Done RTKingsbu: @ryanbader we still have to do the chompies slider challenge! I think Ortiz wants in too. I want to try a "luther burger"
- 1 week, 23 hours, and 52 minutes
- Cinnabon for sure. Some sort of challenge when we get back to AZ? RT @Kingsbu : I'm watching DDD thinking about (cont) http://tl.gd/8f12q6
- 1 week, 1 day, and 46 minutes
- Good luck to Robbie Lawler @Ruthless_RL tomorrow. He's looking great, KO coming Saturday night along with the belt! #powermmafitness
- 1 week, 1 day, 1 hour, and 55 minutes
- Wow 6 with a blue belts already, that's not too shabby! HAPPY BIRTHDAY RT @jon_bowers: @jonnybones Can my son (cont) http://tl.gd/8es5u5
- 1 week, 1 day, 8 hours, and 3 minutes
- I'm not sure @CBKT is going to check it again today at 3 RT @6_PACKBROTHA: @jonnybones hey whats your body fat %
- 1 week, 1 day, 8 hours, and 57 minutes
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! RT @TYLERMICHAELRAY: @jonnybones can I get a birthday tweet?? It's my 18th b day
- 1 week, 1 day, 9 hours, and 4 minutes
- Thank you! please continue RT @SweetT_TX: @jonnybones praying for you this morning and thankful that God is (cont) http://tl.gd/8ero28
- 1 week, 1 day, 9 hours, and 9 minutes
- What a amazing compliment from bruce buffer.. I believe it and receive it (cont) http://tl.gd/8efr7b
- 1 week, 1 day, 19 hours, and 42 minutes
- Always welcome, nice fight BTW RT@DaMarques_UFC: @ryanbader looks great dude can't wait to come back down
- 1 week, 2 days, 3 hours, and 9 minutes