Co-Main Event | Middleweight · 185 lbs | MMA
Brian Stann defeats Chris Leben via KO/TKO at 3:37 of Round 1
|9-3-0||Pro Record At Fight||21-6-0|
|Climbed to 10-3||Record After Fight||Fell to 21-7|
|+135 (Slight Underdog)||Betting Odds||-155 (Slight Favorite)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|Scranton, Pennsylvania||Fighting out of||Oahu, Hawaii|
|30 years, 3 months, 1 week, 1 day||Age at Fight||30 years, 5 months, 1 week, 4 days|
|186.0 lbs (84.4 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||186.0 lbs (84.4 kgs)|
|6'1" (186cm)||Height||5'11" (181cm)|
|74.0" (188cm)||Reach||70.5" (179cm)|
|Jackson Wink MMA||Gym||Arena Gym|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC 125: Resolution
- Date: Saturday 01.01.2011 at 10:00 PM ET
- Referee: Josh Rosenthal
- Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
- Bout Billing: Co-Main Event (fight 10 of 11)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 185 lbs (83.9 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Leben Total Disclosed Pay: $46,000
- Stann Total Disclosed Pay: $42,000
Leben vs. Stann Wiki Update Wiki
Class act and relatively unheralded former WEC product Brian Stann blasted out Chris Leben in the first round of their UFC 125 Co-Main Event to launch his MMA career to the next level. Previously best known for a trilogy of fights against another WEC contender turned UFC stablemate, Steve Cantwell, Stann lobbied for and received the Leben fight by promising, albeit impliedly, to stand and bang with one of the UFC's best brawlers. The Zuffa brass welcomed the standup war and granted Stann the shot.
Stann not only made good on his promise but made the most of the opportunity. While he did stand in front of Leben, he did so smartly, using superior footwork and angles to deliver shots with power while never taking Leben's best. At roughly the three minute mark, after a healthy dose of standup action, Stann caught Leben wading in, hurt him and then polished off one of the toughest chins in his or any other division with a swarming barrage of punches. Referee Josh Rosenthal rightly called the fight off at the 3:37 mark.
For Leben, who was later reported to be ill heading into the bout, the loss proved costly. He had as much momentum heading in as any UFC fighter after back-to-back wins inside the distance against Aaron Simpson and Yoshihiro Akiyama. A win at 125 against Stann held the promise of a high profile and lucrative showdown against "The Axe Murderer" Wanderlei Silva in mid-2011. Instead, it was the newly marketable Stann who was granted the shot at Wand, where the UFC management clearly expected the same style of fight and a similar outcome via KO.
Stann handled his win over Leben humbly and gracefully in the post fight comments. He explained to UFC commentator Joe Rogan that he called out Leben because Leben was the toughest guy in the division and Stann wanted to test himself against the toughest. The combination of self-promotion and a great athletic performance the night of the fight paid off handsomely for the "All American."
Leben vs. Stann Fight Predictions
Videos & Highlights
Video Blog | Video Blog #4 From Chris Leben's UFC 125 Training Camp report dead link
Clips and highlights of Chris Leben's preparation for his fight with Brian Stann. Video blog #4.
Video Blog | Video Blog #3 From Chris Leben's UFC 125 Training Camp report dead link
Clips and highlights of Chris Leben's preparation for his fight with Brian Stann. Video blog #3.
Video Blog | Video Blog #2 From Chris Leben's UFC 125 Training Camp report dead link
Clips and highlights of Chris Leben's preparation for his fight with Brian Stann. Video blog #2 shows variety of footage of Leben doing conditioning training, followed up by interviews after the workout.
Video Blog | Video Blog #1 From Chris Leben's UFC 125 Training Camp report dead link
Clips and highlights of Chris Leben's preparation for his fight with Brian Stann. Vblog includes an extended discussion with trainer Greg Thompson as Leben goes through a stretching routine.
Leben vs. Stann Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- My charity's link, we helped over 80 veterans find full time jobs in 2010, revised over 800 resumes, and taught... http://fb.me/yj6Th5ju
- 4 days, 18 hours, and 28 minutes
- On a plane headed to Bristol, Connecticut for MMA Live. Always a pleasure to see Jon Anik and the boys. Excited to... http://fb.me/JZxQM1Mu
- 4 days, 18 hours, and 23 minutes
- @NathanMarquardt great fight lined up buddy, as a fan and a friend I am excited to see you back in action!!!
- 4 days, 17 hours, and 49 minutes
- @patmiletich thanks coach, will I see you in Bristol in the next two weeks? Would be nice to catch up
- 3 days, 23 hours, and 29 minutes
- Doing MMA live on espn this week and next, those guys are outstanding and should be a great time
- 3 days, 23 hours, and 22 minutes
- No news yet on what is next, I am going to Fort Hood for FFTT 2 so I expect to get some thoughts from Dana and Joe then
- 3 days, 22 hours, and 54 minutes
- Hilarious picture via a friend on twitter http://fb.me/L9UVQjFE
- 3 days, 15 hours, and 22 seconds
- Hilarious! @TheDesignated1: Me & my guys think that @BrianStann would make an excellent Captain America in movie http://twitpic.com/3nadzx"
- 3 days, 14 hours, and 53 minutes
- Thanks for all the support guys, means the world back in the gym soon & I will let everyone know when we begin discussion on my next fight.
- 2 days, 18 hours, and 57 minutes
- My ballerinas shwoing me their tricks! http://twitpic.com/3mrewz
- 1 day, 17 hours, and 54 minutes
- Week of gluttony update: consumed 20 cookies and currently demolishing a tray of pizza, Joe Silva please do not call for a week!
- 1 day, 16 hours, and 31 minutes
- Excited to get back to work with Roberto Traven on my bjj, he has some big plans for the next few weeks of training, man is a legend
- 1 day, 14 hours, and 14 minutes
- Thought I was going to sleep in but my 1 yr old thought differently, we watched Dora reruns at 5 AM, I need a nap!
- 1 day, 12 hours, and 47 seconds
- Going to ease my way into a week of gluttony, I need to pace myself......baby steps....cookie......pizza.......wings
- 16 hours and 39 minutes
- Can't believe I said "Golly" but my daughter was watchin and normally I am an F bomb machine
- 4 hours and 54 minutes
- Thank u to all who support me, Chris Leben, and most of all my heroes our men and women in uniform
- 2 hours and 38 minutes
- Just found out one of my Marines who served under my command was killed in Afghan, heavy hearted now and cannot wait to fight Saturday
- 1 day, 23 hours, and 2 minutes
- If I see one more commercial with a cheeseburger in it I may throw this tv down the hall!
- 3 days and 42 minutes
- Feeling great, photo & video shoots all morning followed by press conf. Lookig fwd to being done!
- 3 days, 7 hours, and 46 minutes
- No flight delay yet,I should be getting to vegas today. Gotta love fight week. Embrace risk and enjoy all experiences, life is short!
- 4 days, 9 hours, and 33 minutes
- Flew home late after training,wrapped all my gifts, gotta be Santa 4 my girls before I leave for vegas, spoiled'em http://twitpic.com/3jddl6
- 1 week, 21 hours, and 34 minutes
- Anyone else think the 5 game suspension of the OSU players is a bit harsh? Am I missing something?
- 1 week, 1 day, 5 hours, and 10 minutes
- Fans invited to UFC 125 Press Conf & Open Workouts http://t.co/LFJDHcg
- 1 week, 1 day, 5 hours, and 43 minutes
- Finished a very tough week, a little more to do this wknd before I taper, Merry Christmas everyone, thank u for all ur support this yr!
- 1 week, 1 day, 7 hours, and 57 minutes
- Eating more tuna and salmon tonight, think I will have gills by next week
- 1 week, 2 days, 1 hour, and 12 minutes