Open Thread

40+ UFC Events in 2014

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  1,333  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3445
  • Post Score: 178

11.22.2013 | 6:50 PM ET

According to Lorenzo, the UFC's gonna be hosting over 40 events next year. Sounds like they'll be planning on signing lots of foreign fighters. Also, this means that the roster really can hold well over 400 fighters with the number of events coming next year, so hopefully the wave of cuts will relax some.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Responses

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  10,325  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  6618
  • Post Score: 126

11.22.2013 | 7:02 PM ET

I really can't wait to see all the new foreign signings they'll be making.

"DONGED"

zarog
zarog

11.23.2013 | 1:23 PM ET

I've been thinking about this more, and I'm skeptical that the UFC will lighten up on how strict they are with cuts. If they are serious about a 115 lb women's division, that means we're gonna see the men's divisions continue to be culled. Foreign fighters will essentially have to win their debut or they'll be cut the way that the UFC has set this up. Even if they have 54 events in 2015, as Lorenzo originally stated would take place in 2014, then the roster still won't be able to handle 500 fighters. If the 115 lb division is added, they'll be able to have about 47 fighters per weight class. The fighters that will be cut are going to come mostly from LW & WW because both of those divisions currently have over 70 fighters. With 397 fighters under contract, I'm less sure that the added events will convince the UFC to keep guys around.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -256

11.23.2013 | 1:28 PM ET

and only 18- worth staying up till 3am to watch probs :/ more cards not always a good thing if you ask me . cards not as deep

"Element Knows"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  31,125  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  9146
  • Post Score: 236

11.23.2013 | 2:34 PM ET

I think that's the beauty of it ... not all cards are supposed to be equally deep, and they don't need to pull killer ratings for all of them. What they're trying to do is solidify the brand as the front-runner of MMA while the sport is blowing up. Even the slimmest of UFC cards is still way deeper than the best card anyone else out there can muster up.

From a marketing pov they're doing the right thing (at least for them).

As far as the new-coming fans (and there are loads since MMA is getting bigger by the day) the UFC is MMA and that's what they're banking on.

"... look at this... oh!!! look at his ears wiggle" -- Joe Rogan, UFC 90

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  8,669  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5271
  • Post Score: 222

11.23.2013 | 2:45 PM ET

I like it. Can't wait till FOX is confident enough to put UFC on every SAT night on Big FOX or at least once a month instead of just 4 times a year. Then UFC will be able to slowly get away from PPVs with all the money from advertising.

"They stopped it because of a cut -Tiki Ghosn"

zarog
zarog

11.23.2013 | 4:06 PM ET

I'm excited about the number of events, but I'm hoping that there aren't too many that are gonna be on Wednesdays. I have class on Wednesdays, so sucks whenever there's a card on at that time. I'm cool with lower name value fights because those guys tend to get after it more it seems. As long as the fights are good, I don't really care who's involved.

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  2,679  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5763
  • Post Score: 109

11.23.2013 | 4:15 PM ET

I have class and wednesdays too, so i pretend to take notes on my laptop, turn the sound off, and try to avoid shouting ¨Oh Shit!¨ over the sound of my professor´s voice

* Edited at 11.23.2013, 4:16 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

zarog
zarog

11.23.2013 | 4:26 PM ET

@Ben Haha, I feel ya. I just skipped my Wed. night class the semester I had one in undergrad, but I actually have to pay attention in my grad classes.

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

11.23.2013 | 5:15 PM ET

Im in grad school too. Haha

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  4,627  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2788
  • Post Score: 122

11.23.2013 | 5:49 PM ET

I'm stoked they are having more events next year. They will be running 3 to 4 a month. It's great for the fighters who are having trouble staying active. They may actually be able to give every fighter on their roster at least 3 fights a year some even 4. Of course there will be names we don't know at first, but as these guys get more opportunities and exposure they can start to become much more recognizable. Guys will be more likely to have 10 fights in the UFC before seeing a title shot. There is more room for developing talent on the prelims especially young HWs. 

"When Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse. - Christmas Vacation"

jonnyboy6969
jonnyboy6969
  • Predictions:  23,670  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  155
  • Post Score: 145

11.23.2013 | 10:00 PM ET

I love it.

More events the better. 

Especially when they start adding weight classes. 
buffalo ben
buffalo ben

11.24.2013 | 7:26 PM ET

im looking forward to the day when the UFC has no major competitors, and everything is organized with feeders and top flight events all being connected. That way there will only be one guy being called 
¨world champion¨ at each weight. 

grizzlyedwin
grizzlyedwin
  • Predictions:  1,256  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2738
  • Post Score: 190

11.24.2013 | 7:30 PM ET

Except the UFC really has no major competitors.

Bellator and WSOF aren't really major competitors to the UFC for many reasons already previously stated which I honestly have no desire to breakdown.

If you think either one is really a major competitor to the UFC, then you need to reevaluate your opinion on MMA then.

"Any intelligent human being knows that women were put on this earth to make dinner and make babies." - Arn Anderson

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

11.24.2013 | 7:32 PM ET

you are right, they aren´t competitors in the sense that they don´t begin to compare. The problem is they have talent that doesn´t get to compete with the UFC stable. This applies more to Bellator so far

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  24,189  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2018
  • Post Score: 157

11.25.2013 | 12:06 AM ET

I think a big part of this expansion is getting cards more location orientated. Obviously they are still going to have a large number of high profile cards that are the money makers but they seem to be using a lot of the smaller shows to showcase different fighters. It would be smart for them to make the fight for the troops shows annual since the military is a large target audience. Also, with the addition of show in smaller markets like sweden, china, singapore and mexico, they are expanding their influence in those places. Some of the more far away shows may have fighters that are only going to fight on that one card but it gives the opportunity for the sport to grow and the chance for a new hidden star to emerge. I think the UFC is far from over saturation. t is all about who the target audience is

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

• MMA Junkie : After recent loss, former UFC fighter Cody McKenzie retires/quits
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: CM Punk says he 'would fight Anderson Silva tomorrow' for 'the correct amount of money'
  • MMA Junkie : C.B. Dollaway on press-conference snub: 'Obviously, I'm not a high-profile fighter'
  • MMA Weekly : Renan Barao Hoping for a “Beautiful Knockout” Against Mitch Gagnon (Video)
  • MMA Junkie : 'ONE FC 24: Dynasty of Champions' live results
  • MMAFighting.com : ONE FC 24 Results: Dynasty of Champions
  • MMA Junkie : Watch today's UFC Fight Night 58 weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 1 p.m. ET
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Fight Night 58 weigh-in video
  • MMA Weekly : Dana White: “Believe Me, Ben Askren Does Not Want to Fight in the UFC”
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Dwyer vs. William Macario added to UFC Fight Night 61 in Porto Alegre, Brazil
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Dustin Poirier announces return to lightweight division
  • MMA Junkie : The List: Why UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell isn't (yet) a top-15 fighter
  • MMA Weekly : Watch the UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Dollaway Weigh-In Live on Friday at 1 PM ET
  • MMA Weekly : VIDEO: A Fighter’s Eye Popped Out of His Head After He Got Kicked There
  • MMA Junkie : Dental surgery scratches Caio Magalhaes from UFC 184, Brazilian aims for March clearance
  • MMA Weekly : Watch the UFC Fight Night 58 Q&A Featuring Jose Aldo and Dominick Cruz on Friday at 11:45 AM ET
  • UFC.com : Dollaway Seeks to Tame 'The Dragon'
  • MMA Junkie : If UFC workouts are indication, Machida to play matador to Dollaway's bull
  • MMAFighting.com : TUF: Brazil 3 winner Antonio Carlos Junior ‘saw some things’ on Patrick Cummins’ ground game
  • MMA Junkie : Titan FC 32 weigh-in results: Desmond Green cuts hair to make weight for Steven Siler