Open Thread

Lombard signs with the UFC

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  37,135  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  15032
  • Post Score: 185

04.24.2012 | 5:04 PM ET

a few different sources on twitter are now saying that Lombard has signed with the UFC

Dizz@TalkMMA BREAKING: Hector Lombard inks with the UFC

MMA Latest@MMALatest Confirmed: Hector Lombard has signed with the UFC.

Mike Chiappetta MMA@MikeChiappetta Big news: I have confirmed Hector Lombard to UFC is a done deal. Story to follow...

Here's the link

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/4/24/2972492/bjorn-rebney-confirms-hector-lombard-is-ufc-bound

* Edited at 04.24.2012, 5:09 PM ET *

"I hope so motherfucker! If I had that much money I'd be pampering myself the fuck up! I'd be having motherfuckers pampering my shit left and fucking right. - Nick Diaz

Responses Page 4

Dakej
Dakej
  • Predictions:  2,684  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1054
  • Post Score: 161

04.24.2012 | 10:47 PM ET

Can't wait for Lombard's debut!
Dakej
Dakej
  • Predictions:  2,684  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1054
  • Post Score: 161

04.25.2012 | 12:21 AM ET

Someone on here was talking about "poison pill" contracts, where one organization offers something the other can't possible match.  Apparently, the UFC offered Lombard a cut of PPV revenue, which Bellator can't do.  Very sneaky UFC!
Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,357  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  6685
  • Post Score: 164

04.25.2012 | 1:02 AM ET

Logical ranking

"God Bless tapology. God Bless all tapology members - Bill Burges"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  2,453  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3213
  • Post Score: 70

04.25.2012 | 1:17 AM ET

@nik having Vitor at #3 is by no means logical
Since returning to the UFC he has beat Rick Franklin at 195 lbs
Lost to Anderson Silva
Beat Akiyama as part of his 4 fight losing streak
And beat Anthony Johnson at 205 lbs
He has 2 fights at MW a win and a lose and the win was against a very unimpressive opponent.

* Edited at 04.25.2012, 1:19 AM ET *

"Is reality really realistic?"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

04.25.2012 | 1:26 AM ET

You have Tim Boetsch at 6#. Any arguments by yourself are void.

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  25,451  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7017
  • Post Score: 201

04.25.2012 | 1:30 AM ET

FINALLY!!!! i would looooove to see lombard vs vitor would me possible fight of the year canditate

"RIP Bill Burgess "

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris

04.25.2012 | 1:32 AM ET

@nik haha he did just beat Yushin that was pretty impressive

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

04.25.2012 | 1:34 AM ET

Yeah but he got absolutely wrecked the first 2 rounds, and went kamikaze last round. It shows he can finish the best, but doesnt prove to me he is amongst the best

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  13,750  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  12071
  • Post Score: 128

04.25.2012 | 1:38 AM ET

Bomar, you can't hold Rumble not making weight against Vitor and use that in your argument against him.  

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5395
  • Post Score: 187

04.25.2012 | 1:44 AM ET

@Justyn Boetsch ahead of Palhares AND Weidman?

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris

04.25.2012 | 1:51 AM ET

@nik well a win is a win right? He went out and finished a top 5 MW so I think he deserves the spot.
@lopati well ya I understand that wasn't Vitor's fault but I don't feel he should be ranked high because he only has one win in the MW division. Even if he would of beat Rumble at MW I don't think he would deserve to me higher than 7 or 8
@jaffa Boetsch beat Yushin who at the time was a top five MW beating Yushin > beating Maia
and beating Kendall Grove, Nick Ring and Yushin Okami > beating Dave Branch, Dan Miller and Mike Massenzio
In my opinion

* Edited at 04.25.2012, 1:57 AM ET *

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5395
  • Post Score: 187

04.25.2012 | 2:04 AM ET

Weidman : Sakara (2 weeks short notice) Bongfeldt (Short Notice) Maia (11 days short notice) and Lawlor > Boetsch : Grove,Ring and Okami (Who beat the shit out of him for 2 rounds)

Boetsch's victory wasn't exactly Hendricks knocking out Fitch..... Sure Boetsch should move up in the rankings but not ahead of a guy like Palhares who has basically demolished all who have stood before him

All Boetsch proved was that he can take a beating and that Okami is very careless!

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris

04.25.2012 | 2:20 AM ET

@jaffa I disagree.
Sakara though a fighter I like alot has little to know ground game so Weidman had an easier fight there even on two weeks notice, Bongfeldt has beat who exactly? And Maia looked horrible in that fight. Just cause he comes in on short notice and beats guys doesn't mean he should be above a guy who beats a guy in the top five. Boetsch showed that he has heart, finishing ability and a will to win along with showing that he can beat top talent.
And Palhares did not demolish Dan Miller, as a matter of fact Dan Miller almost finished Palhares. Palhares has had impressive wins but not against talent anywhere near the level of Yushin Okami

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

04.25.2012 | 2:30 AM ET

Justyn, I could tell you an apple is a fruit and you'd disagree.

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  13,392  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6834
  • Post Score: 175

04.25.2012 | 5:08 AM ET

Other than the slip up that Palhares had in the Miller fight (almost finished a fighter who him and his brother have never been finished) and then had a mental laps that caused him to get clipped, the rest of that entire fight was Palhares dominating. I think that is why the judges scores were 30-25, 30-27, and 29-27. The last score everyone did a wtf on the sherdog forums about the 29, so yeah gotta agree with the vast majority in that it was all Palhares that fight other than him getting rocked for maybe 10 seconds. That means Palhares got 10-8 rounds from 1 judge and a 10-8 round from a second judge. That is domination in my book good sir.

Also I lol at you saying Palhare's talent isn't near Okami. You wonder why people refuse to fight Palhares? While he can end careers they are afraid of his ground game overall. The guy placed second in the ADCC and gave Andre Galvao (considered one of the best BJJ practitioners in the world) a run for his money putting Galvao in a ton of trouble during the match (Galvao won on decision, but was almost subbed) . Also seeing that his stand up has been improving I would have to say Palhares has a good chance vs most people in the top 10. You really think Weidman, Sonnen, Boetsch, Okami, Stann, or pretty much anyone in the middleweight division other than formerly Maia would dare go to the ground with him? Fuck no. OK Jacare would, but he isn't in the UFC. Honestly, Palhares is becoming well rounded and he's finally figuring out the issues (mental lapses) that he had before. Oh and his stand up seems to be improving with every fight so he isn't a fish out of water anymore who is helpless when he his striking, like Maia generally is (though it still needs to improve by leaps and bounds).

When people know your go to move and can't do shit about it in both in the highest levels of grappling and MMA you know that person has an insurmountable amount of talent.

Yes I maybe one of the biggest fans of Palhares, but with the rate he is improving I will not worry about him against anyone in the middleweight division (other than Silva). Okami's improvement has stagnated for years so everyone knows how he is going to fight, his gameplan, etc. I would not worry about Palhares in the fight because if he can take down and almost submit Dan Henderson he sure as hell can do it to Okami.

Honestly why would people even compare Okami and Palhares. Okami has been fighting since 2002, while Palhares has been fighting since 2006 where he was basically a BJJ guy that needed money so he fight with what he had, which was only BJJ. I'm pretty sure Okami has been well rounded for the majority of his career. To put it in more perspective Okami's first UFC fight was 4 months after Palhares' MMA debut.

Oh here's a link if you really want to see if I fact checked. HERE

Also:

* Edited at 04.25.2012, 5:24 AM ET *

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  10,515  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5135
  • Post Score: 105

04.25.2012 | 10:04 AM ET

What Wish said  :)

Mine.

and continuing

11) Stann
12) Lombard
13) Weidman
14) Leben
15) Wand
16) Boetsch

And I think Palhares would beat Rockhold, an underrated Bisping, and obviously the sub prone Sonnen.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  6,388  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  8123
  • Post Score: 51

04.25.2012 | 10:14 AM ET

bomar everytime you post you are just universally disagreed with and flamed. So this leaves us two options:

Either A) you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and every single opinion on MMA is just blatantly misguided and wrong.

Supporting evidence: 56.7%; on ALL professional fights no less, Ew.....

Or B) You are way ahead of your time, and are some sort of savant of MMA and everyone else is mindblowingly moronical. 

* Edited at 04.25.2012, 10:40 AM ET *

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  21,126  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5850
  • Post Score: 168

04.25.2012 | 12:18 PM ET

@wake i want to see cote vs anyone in the ufc!! but lombard would be a very fun fight!!!

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

BlackSwan
BlackSwan
  • Predictions:  1,994  |  68.1%
  • Forum Posts:  164
  • Post Score: 88

04.25.2012 | 12:44 PM ET

I would love Patrick Côté vs Cung Le

As for Lombard, I see Stann as a great debut matchup.

"Luck is the grand equalizer"

CaptainSuperman
CaptainSuperman
  • Predictions:  296  |  57.1%
  • Forum Posts:  315
  • Post Score: 72

04.25.2012 | 2:41 PM ET

Man, I really wish Leben wasn't suspended! This debut for Lombard would have fireworks written all over it. I would like to see this fight before Lombard climbs too high up the ladder for this to be a possibility 

"I'll kill you! I'll kill you to death!"

Page 4

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

• MMA Weekly : Hot & Saucy: Arianny Celeste Featured in Steamy Music Video
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge-Shockley, Oliveira-Waldburger, Ponzinibbio-Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 61
  • MMAFighting.com : 2014 World MMA Awards nominees
  • MMA Weekly : Video: Rampage is Back! to the Devil He Knows
  • MMA Junkie : Team Alpha Male rep: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Urijah Faber 'highly unlikely'
  • Middle Easy : San Francisco area man says Jon Jones is the most genuine person he knows
  • MMA Weekly : UFC Bantamweight Contenders Ravaged by Injury; Raphael Assuncao Joins Dominick Cruz on Sidelines
  • Middle Easy : Ouch, There Goes Dominick Cruz's OTHER ACL
  • MMAFighting.com : 'Devastated' Raphael Assuncao breaks ankle in training
  • MMA Junkie : Sources: Monster nearing multi-year, multi-million dollar deal with UFC
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier defends eye pokes from a fingers that touched the balls of a Tiger
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier defends eye pokes from fingers that touched the balls of a Tiger
  • MMA Weekly : Dominick Cruz Suffers Another ACL Injury, Out Indefinitely
  • MMA Junkie : Raphael Assuncao announces injury, second top bantam out of UFC title picture
  • MMA Junkie : Raphael Assuncao announces injury, forcing second top bantamweight out of UFC title picture
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champ Dominick Cruz sidelined indefinitely with another ACL injury
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC announces new Canadian television outlets
  • MMAFighting.com : Former UFC champion Dominick Cruz sidelined with another knee injury
  • MMAFighting.com : Monday Morning Analyst, episode 4: UFC Fight Night 58 and Grapple at the Garden results
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Watch Daniel Cormier's destruction of Dan Henderson at UFC 173